GigaPower Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by oku, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Decaying Winter

Decaying Winter Member

Thanks I missed that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Prometheus 073

Prometheus 073 Well-Known Member

ATTENTION TO THOSE WITH PROBLEMS WITH SUPERATOR'S ARMS:

Before you do any modding or repairs, be aware that there is a SUPER-EASY way to remove either arm, without tools, in just seconds. Here is a quick video showing the technique.

Superator Arm Demo.mp4

I discovered this while trying to figure out how to do an arm swap with another owner.

Basically, you pull the arm out of the torso, as if you were transforming it. There are two slots into which the tab can fit, one Parallel to the ground and one perpendicular. Rotate the tab toward the back of the figure. That is, rotate it parallel to the ground, but on the OPPOSITE side away from the other parallel slot. Then, just pull, and the arm comes right out of the socket! Easy peasy, you can safely remove the entire arm. And it goes back in just as easy. Just line it up the way it was when you took it out. Push the arm peg back in, rotate it up 90, and it locks back into position.

• Like Like x 9
  3. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I'd like some advice from those of you with multiple Gigapower dinobots. I recently received the Chrome version of Superator and really love him! I am thinking of eventually rounding him out with the rest of his brethren. However, I'm going back and forth between the chrome vs metallic versions of the rest of the dinobots.

Would it be weird to mix and match? I feel like some of the dinobots look better in metallic (in my opinion, Grassor looks a bit better), while others look better in chrome. Would it be weird to have metallic Grassor with the rest in chrome? Or should I trade my chrome Superator for a metallic one and get a full metallic team? Chrome Superator with rest in metallic? So many choices...

4. junkbot

junkbot Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Nah. Mix and match ain’t that bad. If it makes you happy then do it. I have both sets because I’m a sucker for the Dinobots. They ruled my world as a kid and now I really enjoy them as a 45 year old kid. I’ll never outgrow them! Anyhow, yea play with the displays. I really like both and I thought about selling the chrome, but both are so damn cool and they each have their own uniqueness if that makes any sense. Good luck man!

5. alzula

alzula Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, Metallic grassor doesnt look better than chrome, both versions look equally good. However, the metalic has the option for replacing legs/horns with more cartoon accurate colors, which if thats what you want, its the only option, but i have the chrome grassor and he looks amazing even if he isnt g1 cartoon accurate, its not like you would mistake him for something else. Like i said in the other thread, you might be best off getting 2-3 chrome and 2-3 mettalic, cause guttur is hard to find in chrome at the moment, and sludge is hard to find in metalic. So if you just want a full set, mix and match is 100% the easy way to go if you have to have them all right now.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Prometheus 073

Prometheus 073 Well-Known Member

You have to ask yourself if you are the sort of person that will eventually get bothered by the mixed set. I think the chrome and the metallic look good standing next to each other. But I know over the years it would start to bug me that they did not match. I prefer the chrome look, so that's what I got. However, the vacuum sealed finish of the chrome sets might be vulnerable to wear and time. I sometimes think I may have made a mistake not going metallic. The metallic looks ALMOST as good to me, and I think it is probably more shelf-stable in the long run. Of course, I'm going off my experience with the Beast Wars TransMetals, most of which are still fine 20 years later. But one or two of them have the vacuum sealed colors that have chipped and cracked very badly...

Has anyone noticed... is the quality control better with one set than the other?

• Like Like x 3
  7. bakerjin

Thank you all for your thoughts. Definitely good to know they all look good. I tend to prefer the chrome look for Grimlock and Swoop for sure, so I guess in order to keep everything consistent, I should look to get the rest in chrome then after all. But like you said, Guttur and Grassor are hard to find in chrome (at least from non-ebay options).

Also, the new copies of Swoop no longer have the spotlight bonus right? Do they have the replacement feet pre-installed then? My chrome Superator did not come with replacement pieces for Swoop.

8. Leonwave

Leonwave Well-Known Member

At this point in time i dont think getting all of one set is really option, i think you have to mix and match, i mean where's the chrome snarls where's the metallic sludges

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with this it seems as most that joined the game late have incomplete sets. Options are really mix n match or have deep pockets to get all of one set.

I really cant wait to get my set out of there boxes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO ***FT Screwdriver Collector ONLY.!***

You hit the nail on the head with that comment. I've been in for all Metallics since day one (just my preference) and I was debating on getting a chrome Superator/Grimmy bc I thought Grimlock being Chrome would look cool as he's the leader but I just knew it would bug me in the long run that the team didn't all match up. It's just my personal Opinion and if you @bakerjin think that works with you then all power to you bc at the end of the day it's your collection and have it anyways you want. I believe there's some folks who mix matched GP with FT Dino's and I think the aesthetics/plastics/paints don't match up well compare to mixing Giga's Chrome/Metallic Dino's. Just my $0.02 and best of luck with whatever you decide;) 

Old pic
    IMG_20190919_131507.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I just wish it was more obvious what the differences were, like are flame affects the only things excluded in the chrome versions?

12. bakerjin

Yeah great point. Personally I don't know how I would feel since I only have one chrome Superator, so that's why I value all your opinions since y'all have more figures in hand.

As for differences, I've seen some reviews (like Benscollectables on YT) that say they feel their Metallic dinobots have better engineering or tolerances (and he had one of each dinobot in both chrome and metallic). I wonder if that's no longer an issue now as I've not read similar things on these forums. (I think he said this specifically on his HQ04 Metallic Guttur review and he also stated he preferred Metallic Grassor which is why I thought people believed Metallic to look better for him)

13. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    There's a comparison of superator chrome and metallic a few pages back. I think that if the differences in color dont bother you then go ahead and mix and match. Personally i prefer the chrome with superator. As for the rest of the dinobots i dont think it matters as much as chrome is only their secondary color.

14. eskrimcone

eskrimcone A Wooble Maker

IMG_20200116_230844.JPG

I finally got this big boi.. it,s very good scale with XTB Ollie

• Like Like x 3
  15. FiVE1ZERO

Look great! What did you do for his eyes? Paint or a paper/sticker cut out?

16. eskrimcone

just a sticker cutting, i got no balls to paint his eyes..

• Like Like x 1
  17. FiVE1ZERO

Ive tried painting mines twice and both times the acrylic paint wouldnt stick on so I said screw it and settled for Blue Prism stickers. It's not perfect but I'm fine with the outcome. Now I sorta want to do the blue Prism eye for the rest lol.
    IMG_20191005_125441.jpg
    (The Sky/light blue looks really nice but unfortunately the rest of the Dino's are more of a Dark/Cobalt blue)
    IMG_20190930_191953.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. eskrimcone

love to see this Superator got accepted by another grimmy in my house

IMG_20200116_224139.JPG IMG_20200116_223708.jpg IMG_20200116_224139.JPG IMG_20200116_224221.JPG IMG_20200116_224309.JPG IMG_20200116_225020.JPG IMG_20200116_225539.JPG IMG_20200116_232006.JPG IMG_20200116_232236.jpg IMG_20200117_165810.JPG

• Like Like x 13
  19. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

I don't think it's weird to mix and match.
    I have FT version and i also have a X version of Swoop in my collection while the others are normal versions.
    I want Superator in my collection and sell of FT Grinder. I think Grinder is a bad figure.
    Then i'm also mix and matching them. Nothing wrong with it. It's how you like your collection.

• Like Like x 2
  20. bakerjin

Thanks for your input! I'm thinking of purchasing Grinder to try both in hand; aesthetically, I much prefer the look and feel of Superator in dino mode, but I tend to feel he is a bit too detailed and large in robot mode for my other MP figures. I know others might disagree, and I might get used to it, but it seems weird he's almost as big as Phoenix haha.

In terms of engineering and transformation, do you find Grinder or Superator to be better? I've read Grinder's transformation is one of FT's most intuitive and enjoyable. Superator is not difficult, but I found him a pain to transform back into robot mode. It was very difficult to untab the foot pieces on his back and to open up his chest plate. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?