giant cyb starscream: underbase possessed?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KA, Mar 10, 2006.

1. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    prolly brought up when it was first previewed, but the likely homage just occured to me.

so, yeah. randomness. like c-beams glittering in the tanhauser gates. or whatever.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:

uh....homey say what now? :huh

3. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Well from what I under stand of the part of you post that was written in a known language, I do agree with and I think it’s a real nice double homage to the underbase and the movie starscream. Its also nice to see they are rehashing more old plots from the comics, the last real good one that I remember was BW dinobot basically being canivac. Personally I am hoping the next one they pay homage to will be time wars, come on Megatron and Galvatron teamed up to kick every one ass, thats some quality carnage right there.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd love to see that. A Galvatron who is a Megatron from his own future, travelling back in time to "fix" his past. It'd certainly work on a TF show, instead of the usual third faction you could have the present day Decepticons and the future Decepticons.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm completely confused

6. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Yeah I never thought about that! Like in issue 50 of the Marvel Run whan he had absorbed the underbase's power and became giant.

7. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I never thought about that, but its good, really good. I like the idea of him being a double homage. Actually, I like the Underbase idea more than the King Starscream deal better.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yay! you guys like the underbase idea! i rule!

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I never thought about it that way...cool insight.

10. Zero Prime

You always ruled, didn't they already tell you that. :D 

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    In issues 47-50 of the original Marvel comic in the 80's, there was a miniseries called the Underbase Saga. In the distant past a young Optimus Prime tried to stop Megatron from stealing the Underbase, a repository of knowledge from Cybertron's history. Optimus saw that there was too much power within it for one Transformers to contain. After a fight the temple that houses it blows up and shoots the Underbase into space. Millions of years later it is on a collision course with Earth. Optimus Prime and Scorponok have to make the Autobots and Decepticons work together to stop it and Starscream, who (not surprisingly) wants its power for himself. He absorbs some of it and becomes superpowered and kills off a couple dozen Autobots and Decepticons in that form. He then flies into space and absorbs the full brunt of it, turns into a huge giant glowing Super Starscream (hence the Cybertron Starscream comparisons), but blows up because it's too much for him to handle.

That's the quick and dirty summary. Enough to tell what we're talking about now anyway.

12. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I thought about the underbase when I saw Cybertron and Destron team up against giant, yellow-aura Starscream in GF. And seeing how the chip square and the underbase were both historical Cybertronian artifacts, it makes even more sense.

It also reminds me of the G2 comic, when Starscream stole the matrix and became the Warworld. If any classic TF character was going to try and assume godlike powers and betray his race, it had to be screamer. It's pretty much his m.o.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

that would be some awesome stuff, and why am i speaking like this.

agggh ka, turn me back , turn me back! oh wait,
    oh cool , i feel all funky chicka mow, wowow

14. Zero Prime

:lol  :lol  :lol 

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    kewl.

this also makes me wonder: did hasbro do the giant figure knowing he was gonna do that in the cartoon OR did gonzo do the cartoon AFTER seeing the giant figure?

16. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Hasbro probably insisted on a Supreme sized toy besides Primus and decided Starscream would be the character to use in that size slot (Likely using the Underbase Saga/his crown from TF:TM as homages). Gonzo most likely came up with the story around that, running the scripts past Hasbro/Takara for approval.

Simon Furman talks in interviews about how he was told by Hasbro what toys he was to feature in a given comic or series of issues. The story was written around the toys and I believe that's still how it works.

Also, there wouldn't have been time for Gonzo to react to Has/Tak's finished toy or Has/Tak to say "Great Starscream in that episode, we should make that." Toy designs and cartoon scripts are worked out on paper, months before the public sees anything.