GI Joe IDW 2.0

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Omegashark18, Jun 18, 2019.

1. nilcam

nilcam Well-Known Member

The new take on the Drednoks is amazing. I'm not sure how or even if they'll end up working with Cobra. Zartan being a Sierra Gordo national is a great touch. I grew up on G.I. Joe comics and it feels good to love them again!

2. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could do with without both of them, because the actual G.I. Joe (Joseph Colton) should be the star!

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You don't love the Hama series, which has been running this entire time, continuing the Marvel series and completely unconnected to the IDW trainwreck continuities? It's great!

4. nilcam

nilcam Well-Known Member

I loved it when it first started up but it lost me after a couple of years. GI Joe: Cobra held my attention while it ran and then I fell off. Standard GI Joe bores me now.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, Cobra was great. But I guess they could only take it so far.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  7. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    And that would leave ARAH in an awkward spot…

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    IDW has been operating at a loss for 4 or 5 years now having negative profits each year. Even with getting Government PPP money last year they still were losing like a million dollars over all last year. You can't stay unprofitable for years and not expect fall out. They probably can't even afford the licenses anymore. Rumor is they already lost Ghostbusters. The loss of Marvel kids books and Star Wars titles is also confirmed. They have few original IP's once the licenses lasp they will have few to no comics to publish.

9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sucks because ARAH is the only comic I read.

Guess IDW is a gonner. You could hold a gun to my head and I couldn't tell you a single IP they actually own.

10. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Locke and Key is probably their most well known one currently, primarily because of the Netflix show

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is a huge loss to longtime Joe fans. On the other hand, I've been surprised they could keep it going this long, because it never seemed like a huge seller. And I've also been surprised at how much freedom it seems like they gave Hama to do his own thing, and how good Hama's been able to keep it, in spite of sometimes questionable art (although I guess that was true during the Marvel years, too).

I would hope that whoever picks up the license from Hasbro hires Hama and lets him continue the series. But more likely, Joe comics will just vanish.

12. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't Locke & Key creator owned? I don't think IDW owns any IP, but I don't think they're designed to. They're basically Image with a licensed comics division.

13. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Not sure honestly, I know they publish it, but I'm not sure if Joe Hill owns it.

14. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope there is enough time for Hama to write a conclusion to it. Or at least wrap up any of the ongoing stories.

What would be awesome is if behind the scenes, another company has picked up GIJoe and has worked out a deal with Hama that ARAH will just pick up there.

While I only read ARAH, I was interested in that new series they teased that was set in the Sunbow universe. I'd pick up a few issues to try it out. Wonder if that series will even come out now.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Pretty sure he does. I don't see the son of Stephen King being unsavvy enough to sign away the rights to his own creation. He could have taken it anywhere, his name being what it is. So I'm sure IDW offered him favorable terms.

Yeah, here's hoping. Although I kind of take Marvel #155 as the real ending anyway. As much as I've enjoyed the IDW continuation, I kind of take it as a parallel universe, because Hama made the conscious decision to have the characters become ageless and less tied in to the Vietnam War, etc., which was such a huge part of the original.

But yeah, I would have enjoyed a Sunbow comic as well. But even more than the ARAH series, I think a Sunbow comic really would have needed the art to be there. Someone who could have drawn on-model those classic Russ Heath character designs. Without really consistent art, I don't think it would have felt like Sunbow no matter who was writing it.

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    did you hear about the Saturday Morning Adventures comic? It’s a Sunbow centric GI Joe comic, whether it’ll see the light of day given the news is another thing though. They showed off the interior art the other day, and while it’s not a 1:1 equivalent, the artist, Dan Schoening, does a pretty good job. I think he did the recent RGB comic which also took the style of the cartoon.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I would buy the hell out of that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's the comic I've been waiting three decades for.

19. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Wow, that looks great!!! Dan Schoening did a fairly recent of the A Real American Hero run if I am not mistaken. I do like his style.

20. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits: