Ghosts of Cybertron Comic Series From IDW: Debuts June 2019

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by AzT, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    I ain't afraid of no Starscream Ghost!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i wonder if we will get an mp11 ghost starscream from all of this

3. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please, no. My wallet can’t take MPs. Plus, they’ll look wrong with Ectotron.

Improve PotP figures (that Star Convoy cab with the PotP trailer) or rush out Siege earth modes, please!

Heck. I’m cool with them going back to Universe/Classics Starscream. Just make him glow in the dark or semi-translucent instead of that brittle translucent stuff Takara uses.

4. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    looks like we will be getting mp10 in the crossover line so its going to be a mixed bag already... the recent golden lagoon toys were a mix so i wouldn't put it past hastak to do it with this line too

5. User_124141

User_124141 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So is the Stay Puft Starscream going to happen?

6. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Will this be the dead Starscream from IDW\'s finale or the Ghost from the G1 cartoon?

Hmmm...

7. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    That's awesome. I'd love to rock that on a shirt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, in theory, they could just open with Megatron catching Starscream in a doublecross and killing him in 1986.

Or maybe Gozer causes the events of TFTM to happen early with Gozer in the Unicron role.

Or maybe they take a VERY cartoon canon centric view in which case you have the point that Starscream's ghost was already haunting ancient earth in Beast Wars, before he even died; so he's a TIME TRAVELING ghost. Which means that Starscream's ghost could be around in the 1980s and you could have live Starscream and Future Ghost Starscream together.

Which, incidentally, actually syncs up with Dan Aykroyd's early script drafts for Ghostbusters which was rooted a lot more in time travel, alternate universes, etc.

And the Ghostbusters comics are TOTALLY fanboyish (in a pretty good way) about acknowledging discarded script drafts and referencing the actors. (Venkman does things that Bill Murray has done and wears outfits Bill Murray has worn.)

But Aykroyd in particular was always interested in the idea of ghosts as being tied to time travel, alternate universes, deleted timelines. To a point where I sometimes get the impression that Aykroyd isn't convinced that ghosts are dead souls but possibly time travelers or alternate reality versions of people who are dead in our reality.

Ecto-1 was originally supposed to be an all black 1975 Cadillac Superior Crown ambulance with a purple siren and the ability to dematerialize. (Pretty similar to the 1985 hearse used in the 2016 movie.)

9. Nagatem

Nagatem Sea sea sea sea sea sea sea sea seaconOooo

Ghost lord Starscream.... this is beautiful 

10. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    "What? Did you really think we were going to do something original and creative?!"

11. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    i need that starscream artwork on a T-shirt

12. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or a poster.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Or a sticker.

14. psychography2

psychography2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or a breakfast cereal

• Like Like x 4
  15. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Or a can of ectocooler starscream flavour.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

What you're saying is true. Transformers is bigger than just G1.

What I'm saying is G1, as an origin, is as timeless as Superman.

Hasbro would be foolish to muck with it, because they do not, and will never, have a Jim Shooter, Denny O'Neill, or Bob Budiansky to come with anything better. It can't be done.

The story could, and probably should, be retold. And even integrate Beast Wars too!

Imho, the only transformers which should be disavowed is the bay verse.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

Wow, one look at the teaser art and I am way more into this, and getting this whole crossover thing they're into now. When is this? How is Starscream's ghost involved? Where does this slot in? l don't care, I am already having barrels of fun.

Just two things. First; now that there is art of Ectotron with the visor up, I really hope the toy can do that.
    Second; like many others, I want that Starscream logo to be on some kind of product. Of all the unofficial mash up shirts people have crafted over the years, how has this not happened?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah but they have mucked with it. As much as they mucked with Superman with Superman red and blue. Except DC had the balls to keep that in continuity. Hasbro made muck stuff in different places all the time. Armada was their first muck. To think they could ever retell something was a huge foreign concept. But it had its merits as well. Animated is a huge muck of G1. It’s a retelling with good talent. But used tones of old ideas while changing everything. IDW G1. Changes a lot of things about G1 while keeping a lot the same. And they’ve had some of the best writers of all time.

And like what is so timeless about G1 anyway? Apart from great writers in the marvel comics and some fun ones in the cartoon what is so unique? Autobots go to earth. Deceptions also on earth. They do shit probably about war. Maybe go back to cybertron once in a while. That happens in nearly almost every series ever. In beasts wars, in both movieverses, hell even stuff as new as cyberverse. It has its own tone and feeling established but that is granted to change with any episode of a tv show. You say hasbro would never do that but they’ve done it again and again and again.

19. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    hell even that statement is highly subjective, those writers did put out some duds :p 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The whole G1 thing... they're iconic. Those designs, the personality traits, it is all rooted back in gen 1...

Besides, there was already a Ghostbusters team with a gorilla on it and it was awful. (The original campy live action TV series and that god awful cartoon).

Also, the writing team for the GB comics is in charge of the cross over and they write what they love... if they wanted say, the movie or Armada Transformers, they would have gone with those, but this has been something they've been wanting to write since they started writing the comics and it took them this long to get the okay to do it.

This is more along the lines of a "What if..." and won't be canon to either comic going forward along the lines of the Star Trek vs Transformers mini series that just wrapped up.