Ghostbusters Toys Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by smangerbot, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The trap and PKE are far too complex to just be "bonus" items... unless it was the Spirit models >_>

I can see the PKE being a standard release and something like the trap being another Haslab item

• Like Like x 1
  2. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Anyone remember which one of the vintage Ghostbusters figures came with a more or less accurate ghost trap accessory?

3. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

As a kid I always wanted to have a proton pack, so when I learned of this project I immediately checked on the Haslab page, and yeah it looked extremely cool but I felt it lacked something, and after some research I learned that the wand is a separate item, and it might not be a 100% rational reaction but that almost entirely killed my interest in the pack.

4. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Screaming Hero Peter Venkman came with the trap. The Egon of that line came with the PKE Meter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    No real interest in the pack or wand, but I could get behind a trap if they did one. Matty Collector put out one back in the day that was surprisingly good.

6. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The matty trap is the gold standard. Hasbro has a high bar to beat on THAT one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

It certainly hurts, yes and very unfortunate that not even an empty wand shell is included as place holder.

8. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    dewtoystore

9. Evac

Evac decepticons era

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Stolen from a post from GBFans.com:

Summarizing Bill Rawley's replies on Sunday's post at the HasLab Proton Pack Modders Facebook page. (using the "m" instead of "www" for the mobile address version let's you see all comments without logging in)
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/haslabpro ... 289363867/

1. Class One stretch goal's hose has its own connector that places the battery box in the Plasma Series Spengler's Neutrona Wand. The pack will power the wand.
    -Quote "The hose that will included with the Class 1 unlock at 9k backers WILL have its own connector to replace the battery box in the existing Plasma Series Spengler wand. The power from the pack WILL now power your wand! "

2. The team is working on synching the lights and sounds but it is very difficult so far.
    -Quote "we are trying to make that happen but it is very difficult. It's on our wish list though"

3. Rawley and his engineer are currently trying to figure out making easy mounting for people who wish to add an Alice frame and it might end up being a clamp system.
    -Quote "my engineer and I are literally figuring that out this week. We are trying to avoid any heavy modifications for not-so-handy folks. It may end up being a clamp system"

4. The green goo ectoplasm attachment will be flexible and will have a pin and lock into hole system that allows it to be wrapped wherever on the pack people want. In the preview photo, only the ectoplasm attachment was photoshopped.
    -Quote "the models are actually wearing the packs in the photos. The only photoshopping that was done was on the slime pieces. Their model shop printed the pieces out from the team's CAD sculpts in a hard material that does not flex. The real slime will be flexible and has a pin and lock into hole system to wrap around tubes on the pack to let the fans place the slime where they want"

5. For ethical reasons, the Alice frame was not included. Certain manufacturers were not up to Hasbro's standards and the decision was not to work with them. It had nothing to do with cost reductions or a decision that it wasn't needed. In it's place, the pack will have a strap system that can be later removed should an Alice frame be added.
    -Quote "the team was not ethically able to provide an Alice frame with our proton pack. Believe me, we tried. It was not a cost reduction or anyone on the team deciding we didn't need it. We were just not able to include one for a number of reasons. The team has this strap system to make the pack wearable Out of box but then it IS removable. You can order an Alice frame or use one you already have to attach it to our final pack"
    -Quote "let's just say, some manufacturer's of certain items may not be up to Hasbro standards and so we can not work with those factories"

6. No modding will have to done to make the Plasma Series Spengler's Neutrona Wand work with the Spengler's Proton Pack. It will be plug and play
    -Quote "there is no cracking open or modding needed to have the hose work with the wand. Plug and play!"

7. The ribbon cable has been a big discussion point within the development team and they are working on trying to match colors as best as they can.
    -Quote "the ribbon cable is a BIG conversation within the dev team. We are working on options to match the actual Afterlife prop as best as we can. There's a lot of color on that cable and color (paint) plus the washes (paint washes) all cost money. I can promise that I will be trying. To match colors as best as I can for our initial models and then following up as they are produced to make sure the production pieces match our initial models. It's basically going to be what I do for a lot of 2022"

8. The holes seen on the back of the pack are not final.
    -Quote "those holes are not final. We are still working through the connection and hole placementz"

9. The team has pushed for the Spengler's Proton Pack for over a year and the 2023 ship date was chosen to account for all the current unknowns about shipping.
    -Quote "the team has been pushing for this for over a year. The 2023 date is because of all the unknowns about shipping. The production team is scrambling to get everything prepped for production so that the fans do nat have to wait any longer than they have to"

10. The Proton Pack is 1:1 to the Afterlife pack prop. The team scanned the prop.
    -Quote "this pack is exactly the size of the Afterlife prop. We scanned it and it is one to one. This is the "correct" size. It's the same size as the one in the trailer (not the pack on the Ecto-1). The models we had wear this pack are different heights and sizes. It's 1:1"

11. The light and sounds between 1984 and 2021 mode will be change but flicking a metal internal switch in the cyclotron. The red light pattern and sound effects will be different in each mode.
    -Quote "With a simple flick of a metal internal switch (in the cyclotron) you can change the electronics from 84 to Afterlife. The red light pattern and sound effects are different in each mode"

12. Pieces on the pack will be removable for those that want to mod it to look like the original pack.
    -Quote "those golden wire pieces are a separate piece and should be able to be removed"
    -Quote "I think this group will be able to easily convert this pack to an 84 pack"

13. The team is looking into using three D batteries to power the pack.
    -Quote "sorry, we are looking at 3 D batteries at the moment

14. The crank generator will be a volume control if a person wanted to do lights only and/or save power.
    -Quote "I'm giving away more of the "details" I was speaking of, but I made the crank generator on the top into a volume control. So you can turn that all the way down for lights only and to save some juice. There's more though

15. The speaker is on top of the pack near the back of the person's head when they wear it.
    -Quote "I put the speaker in the top of the packs so the wearer (you guys) gets the bulk of the sound playing Right behind your heads as you wear it!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Looks pretty cool and definitely unexpected at least by me but as others have said it kind of stinks to have to buy the wand separate. Is it even still available?

Did they have Alice frames on them in the movie? I don't really get the whole "ethical" thing?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  12. Nightwing

Nightwing Well-Known Member

Among whatever other reasons, he's saying that the current manufacturers of Alice frames (not counting replicas specifically made for Ghostbusters fans) produce poor quality versions with much thinner/lower quality metal than the originals.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The pack was conceptualized well after the design of the thrower was made, hence why they're having such a hard time figuring out how to get one to have any real interaction with the other. Including even a dummy thrower would have driven up costs and, practically speaking, most people backing have the Spengler thrower already. The thrower is still available on 3rd party sites and a pre-order for a new run of them is on HasbroPulse.com, but they're limited to 1 per customer and aren't due to ship until I BELIEVE June? Not a huge deal since the pack's shipment date isn't for another year and a half anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    The Spengler wand is easy to get on sale. I bought my third one for $65 at Gamestop.

I will advise: the first I got was perfect. The second and third have some issues. Second's intensity knob skips from low to high, and the third has some wiring problems im too lazy to fix.

Im glad they did this Q&A. Also glad they are taking mods into consideration. Not adding an Alice to it, makes it just some toy.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

And to think, I thought I wouldn't be able to get these so late in the game. The ghosts seem strangely elusive though.

• Like Like x 6
  16. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

You know they way this pack and other items was handled in promotion when you really think about it seems to have been handled very poorly. They have a real life item sounding a lot like dlc, microtransactions and loot boxes in a video games when you start talking of unlocks, tiers, and different level numbers of backers.

17. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They're incentives to back the thing. They're free add-ons if there's enough interest in it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

I'm aware of all that

19. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I’ve thought about getting those so many times…I loved watching that show as a kid. And yeah, I’m surprised these guys are still available after such a shaky rollout last year.

20. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Im worried about them half-assing it.

I think they should include fillers for the removeable things. I want it mounted to a frame. Looks like the battery door would be a bear to get to, with a frame. Can I use those straps on a frame? Save $20.