Ghostbusters (2016) - Movie Discussion ONLY - Stay on topic

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hazekiah, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    I knew it wouldn't be good per se, but I hoped it would at least be tolerable. It wasn't. One of a very few movies ever that I just ended up completely checking out of 3/4 into it. Despite liking Wiig, McCarthy McKinnon in other things, there's about 6-8 different actresses that I think would have been infinitely funnier and better suited to this particular gender-swap reboot.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Except it is.

The original was basically Animal House with ghosts, it's hard to get much more gooftarded than that, lol. We're talking about two movies using the modern state of special effects to tell a tale about downtrodden academia and working class stiffs who pioneer the business of ghostbusting in NYC for the sake of SNL-fueled slapstick. These films are INHERENTLY alike at the genetic level.

Not to mention all the OTHER key plot points they share, but that's more of a working-backwards to the same conclusion situation than simply sharing the same basic premise.

OMG EPIC WIN I LOVE IT

XD XD XD

3. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Their premises may be similar, but when it comes to their comedic styles, they are completely opposite. Which is what I was referring to, not recycled/re-imagined plot points.

4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Well, then...perhaps "nothing like the original in any way, shape, or form" was an EXCRUCIATINGLY poor choice of words with which to convey that point, wouldn't you agree?

It just seems so OBVIOUSLY wrong.

>_>

5. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Quite frankly I feel the 'extended' edition offers up very little material that was needed. Feig cut them for the theatrical release and then re-inserted them just because he could, he even said as much in the commentary track. And honestly I can see why they were cut. The opening of the film has more cringe worthy material that I did not need to see and when they extended the possession scene I was honestly wondering why the hell they bothered, witnessing McCarthy vomiting green slime for a good three minutes, give or take, is not my idea of something I needed to see in this Ghostbusters movie. Just another cash grab excuse by Sony in all honesty with this so called 'extended' edition. Although it is interesting to see the full dance number in the end as it was originally intended, even if the footage is still used in the end credits.

6. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    I liked the dance scene from the credits, but it was underwhelming once I saw the full version.

More Sigourney Weaver is always good though.

7. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I really wish someone would explain what was happening with the ghosts during that final ghost-machine scene. At first the proton-packs just immobilized the ghosts so the trap could be deployed. During the ghost-machine scene, the proton-pack seemed to not only be able hurt the ghosts, but vaporize them as well. Also, if the bad guy is able to control humans at will, why not just control the ghostbusters, open up the portal, and destroy the city? Oh, and how was Rowan able to get Kevin to fly? The plot holes and terrible dialogue killed this movie for me. Such high hopes.

The one good thing about this movie is that it has created a new generation of fans. That, if nothing else, is a plus.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

In the scene where Jillian Holtzmann is explaining the tech to the other Ghostbusters there are some techno-babble lines in there about energy that boils down to this type of energy disrupts the ghosts and if the energy is modified then it can be used as a capture beam. The photon packs are modified for the capture beam while her other inventions aren't modified they are just disruption energy weapons.

As to your other questions, movie logic maybe??? I got nothing. Unless you want to go with the wacky fan theory of Kevin explains where Thor was during Marvel's Civil War :) 

9. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Really? Maybe I need to see it again. I've only watched it the one time.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Just watching through it, albeit in chunks, and it's bad; but not in the way I thought it would be. I feel like due to the backlash they were too afraid to leave anything in that may have been interesting or fun for fear of pissing off the nerds.

Anyways, I like the actors and the story is fine; looking back I feel a bit ashamed for being so worked up over a movie. Was it ideal? no, but it was released and the world did not end.

11. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  12. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Sounds good to me!

The more Ghostbusters movies in the world the better, I say.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

As long as they don't just jump into another film it's not a bad idea. While Ghostbusters was a box office disappointment for the studio it wasn't the sort of film to turn people completely off from Ghostbusters. If they let it sit long enough for people to forget about the silly uproar around the movie and just remember the good parts of the movie then Sony could potentially get some mileage out of Ghostbusters as a franchise.

At least next time they would know that there are certain markets they aren't going to get into so maybe they can craft a movie for the markets where they are going to make money in. If your big markets are going to be mostly English speaking perhaps you could go with the witty banter and word play that you can't do in movie that has to do well in multiple languages and bridge cultures.

14. Chopperface

News Credits:
    I so want to see these characters again.

15. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
  16. Chopperface

News Credits:
    And it really wasn't a complete failure. It got a solid 70% ish on RT. Of course the box office is what matters, and while it was a disappointment, it wasn't a flop per say.

17. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't think it was that bad. I hated the trailers and behind the scenes crap but gave the movie a shot and liked it. I would be fine with a follow up. If it had good trailers it would have done better.

Don't forget the animated movie with the old ghostbusters films is in the works also so he could be talking about that as well.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  18. Chopperface

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The whole IDW ongoing Ghostbusters comic has been amazing, so I see no less happening here :D 

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits: