Getting into the comics

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TornadoQuakeX, Aug 12, 2013.

1. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

So I just finished reading Spotlight Bumblebee, Megatron, and Orion Pax from the new deluxe figures and I enjoyed them thoroughly. I love how the characters are portrayed and their dialogue is great. Like Nightbeat from Spotlight Orion Pax. I just loved him.

Anyway, what I mean to ask here is where a good starting point would be in the IDW universe of comics. I just found out that they're available on my iPhone and iPad, so getting most of them won't be a problem.

2. AgentAlabama113

AgentAlabama113 Wily Old Buzzard

Most of the others will probably recommend MTMTE, as it is a good jump-in point. But, if you have the means, I would start with the "-ations" series, as they were the beginning.

3. VRDUBZAK

VRDUBZAK Titan

News Credits:
    Spotlight Orion Pax is not a bad place to start either. It is set pretty early on as far as timeline goes.

So here.....
    The Transformers (IDW Publishing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says that you read the Megatron Origin, then Orion Pax.
    Follow that with
    6. Spotlight - Blurr
    7-18. Autocracy #1-12
    19. Spotlight - Thundercracker
    20-23. Monstrosity #1-12
    24. Spotlight - Shockwave
    25. Spotlight - Cliffjumper
    26. Spotlight - Wheelie
    27. Spotlight - Hot Rod
    28. Spotlight - Sixshot
    29. Spotlight - Ultra Magnus
    30. Spotlight - Soundwave
    31-34. Infiltration #0-3
    35-37. Stormbringer #1-3
    38-39. Infiltration #4-5
    40. Stormbringer #4
    41. Infiltration #6

and then refer back to that link when you need to.

I only picked up the comic about 8 months ago and obtained them all digitally through Comixology. They have pretty much all IDW stuff, I have seen some printed stuff in stores that may have been Dreamwave reprints.

4. Starhawk

Starhawk Well-Known Member

I started my comic reading with All Hail Megatron. I had no problem figuring out what was going on from that point. Then I followed MTMTE and RID as they happened, and I'm currently going back to various Spotlights and the -Ation series.

In my opinion, MTMTE and RID are more interesting than the earlier -Ation readings. But if you're looking to eventually read 'em all, I'd follow the chronological list.

5. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I've been trying to pick up the TPBs as I could find them at retail (what a dumb idea), and have discovered that Amazon actually has the IDW Collection Hardcovers for between $35 and $45 a pop... I've only picked up volume one, but there's 8 of em so far and I'm not sure how much of the full story they encompass... but Vol. 1 starts with Megatron Origins, followed by Spotlights Blurr, Cliffjumper, Shockwave, Nightbeat, Hot Rod, Soundwave, and then the entirety of Infiltration. I think the idea of the Hardcovers was to take all the stuff that IDW had written and put it together in a cohesive timeline... but I think they've written stuff (ie, Spotlight: Orion Pax) that fits in somewhere in the past of their timeline. Oh well.

Anyway, for the time being, I gave up on the TPBs and I'll work on the hardcovers while they're affordable. 8 volumes is plenty of reading material! I have a step-son who's also very into transformers, so I'll be passing on the TPBs I've picked up on to him if he's interested.

Edited for clarity.

6. Scaldron

Scaldron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd actually suggest going in roughly publication order rather than chronological. That way you get to experience the reveals and build-up as intended, and not get major twists spoiled 'cause you started with the stuff that takes place first.

Just some stuff to ignore: Heart of Darkness, Infestation, and the New Avengers crossover. Costa's era was more dull than bad, but those three are well and truly awful.

7. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

Re: Costa's run, definitely just read summaries of it up to "Heart Like a Wheel" (the one where Rodimus storms the Decepticon base). That's when it gets a bit better.

Skip the ones Scaldron mentioned. Also, Monstrosity is very skippable. Autocracy has just enough in it to require at least a summary read.

8. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I'd recommend starting with All Hail Megatron and work your way backwards/forward from that.

Things you might want to read
    The Chaos Storyline from the Ongoing, along with various issues/sagas before that
    The Revelations arc from Furman's run.
    Autocracy
    More than Meets the Eye
    Robots in Disguise
    And some other spotlights. Most of the early Furman stuff can be ignored as they are rarely touched upon.

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]