Get annoyed by the lack of continuity of the movies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Jun 7, 2024.

1. TAKTIC00L

TAKTIC00L ⚠ This User is being monitored by the CIA

well yea cuz they had no other option in DOTM..

• Like Like x 3
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    What does any of that have to do with Sentinel's God complex?

Bullshit. Autobots and the US had a decent relationship and Sentinel completely shat all over it, because he didn't want to accept humans as equals. Again, the whole point was to dominate a lesser species into doing their dirty work. If he and the Decepticons had any fucking notion of helping rebuild their planet, then why would they go to such lengths and allow far more Cybertronians to be pointlessly slaughtered, thus reducing their numbers even more?

Seriously, the idea that the bad guys are actually, y'know, evil, to the point of stupidity, seems to be lost here.

• Like Like x 5
  3. TAKTIC00L

TAKTIC00L ⚠ This User is being monitored by the CIA

true but sentinel had a god complex, it was to be expected. plus the autobots were thought to be killed by starscream so i dont think they accounted for a potential desepticon slaughter

• Like Like x 4
  4. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I'm talking about the fact Sentinel and Megatron had their little agreement before either had ever left Cybertron. They could have ended the war right then and there.

Instead they said nothing, countless Cybertronians were killed during the war after that point, and all for one reason: ENSLAVE THE HUMANS.

Humans who at best were nothing but hunter-gatherer tribes during an ice age by the time Megatron landed at the North Pole. When Sentinel finally wakes up, humans are far more evolved...and he still acts like they're little better than neanderthals.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

It has everything to do with Sentinel's god complex, because it's an analogy using humans and other species, the former who often have god complexes of their own.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    But it doesn't actually prove he was going to roll up his proverbial sleeves and do physical labor to rebuild Cybertron. You're the one praising the movies for having writing on level with an 80's toy commercial of a cartoon, yet suddenly this doesn't apply to the main villain of a movie where he's so comically evil and up his own ass that he's doing something more to prove a point than to actually accomplish anything?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Holy strawmanning Batman.

I'm not saying Sentinel Prime was definitely going to do physical labor to repair Cybertron. I'm saying there's no implication he or the Decepticons were above doing physical labor. Which there isn't.

Oh my gosh, a film series based on cartoon characters has villains with influences from...cartoon characters! How awful!

If we're being honest though, which of the major film franchises today based on super heroes and robots don't have villains that are cartoonishly evil to some degree? I can't think of any that doesn't have any sense of ridiculousness to them. Not that you can't have great villains based on cartoons and comic books. Heath's Joker is fantastic. I also think the Transformers movies have several great antagonists by Transformers standards and a few more that are better depicted than given credit.

I think part of the problem is that too many fans take Transformers waaayyyy too seriously.

• Like Like x 5
  8. SheepWeaver95

SheepWeaver95 Well-Known Member

DOTM has a lot of those. It has some interesting ideas, like the Decepticons having human allies long before the Autobots arrived or how there's something hidden on the dark side of the moon which explains why there apparently haven't been further missions to the moon.

And who could forget having the brilliant move of smacking the audience over the head that Leonard Nimoy plays the main villain by having a character mention an episode where Spock goes nuts? /s

• Like Like x 1
  9. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    at this point, i dont care if they are connected or not, as long as they are good. if TF movies end up being the equivalent of the direct to video marvel/dvd animated movies, fine, those are good and at least they are enjoyed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ジェノサイダー

News Credits:
    I can kind of agree with this: these movies don't need to be majorly continuity heavy and could've operated as their own stories with only a few connections here and there... but the issue here is that the movies AREN'T and largely haven't been good.

And it's becoming increasingly clear that these films won't be able to flourish until Paramount is out of the picture, they just don't GET it.

Plus .. the thing is: you can have a serviceable continuity while each film still largely stands on its own, you just can't contradict what came before and stick to an internal consistency, that's all it takes!

• Like Like x 3
  11. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The remedy isn’t really switching studios flat out though. The next studio could easily have a chance to ‘ruin’ things and we’d be at the same position again.

The issue with this is Bay is now out of the picture so we have new films that acknowledge certain things in Bay’s movies as per you know who.

Going from BB to ROTB, there hasn’t been anything outrageously contradicting aside from maybe design changes and such.

• Like Like x 1
  12. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I thought continuity was going wrong around DOTM, with Soundwave having established a spy ring on Earth when the last film had him debut as a new arrival. Because if he'd been around since the 60s he'd have found out about Megatron at Hoover Dam.

Then with the next two films I realized continuity was thrown out for each film being a standalone adventure. Which would be enjoyable enough for general audiences wanting a fun time, but would be annoying for those who were hoping for set and established lore.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, while there were definitely inconsistencies, for the most part that did not hinder my enjoyment of TF1-3 in any significant way. If they needed to play around a bit with the continuity to support the story each movie was trying to tell, so be it. Soundwave operating a human spy ring is a cool enough concept that supports the space race story of DOTM such that I don't really think about the questions it raises as to why he didn't find Megatron or why he left Earth. Even Megatron kind of hand-waves the timing implications of the Sentinel deal by saying "fate waylaid us both".

It becomes harder to swallow as we get into AOE/TLK, AOE with the creators aspect (which is just completely inconsistent with the now ignored AllSpark) and TLK with the countless spinoff pitches as to how Transformers were on Earth for every major event in history.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

I really don't understand why so many people have issues and think the creators is inconsistent with the allspark. Prime outright states at the start of the first film no one knows where the allspark came from. It's not exactly a leap of logic to say the allspark was made by the creators to embue sparks and life into the mechanical bodies they build using stuff from the seeds.

As for soundwave having a spy network and leaving, he stayed there while the moon stuff was going on and once the campaign was finished, he made sure no one was going back to the moon, left someone like Laserbeak to to watch things and make sure it wasn't getting restarted, and then left earth to do more important things. Like help lead the decepticons. Or have another campaign of infiltration on another planet. Why would he stay here when his mission was complete? As for missing Megatron, we didn't have things like networks and internet back in the 70's. It would be much harder to dig out info about project iceman and the allspark, especially if he doesn't know and isn't actively hunting for it.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Except, as I've mentioned before, if the AllSpark doesn't need Transformium to make sentient life, thus why would the Creators need the latter if the already had godlike power with the former?

Really, the bigger problem here is just The Creators in general. They don't exist in-universe as a faction, they exist in-universe as an excuse for Lockdown to do anything he does in the film. They are a J.J. Abrams 'Mystery Box' where the whole point is to kick the proverbial can down the road before actually defining what the 'mystery' is in detail. And a mystery that never gets answered isn't a mystery, it's just piss poor writing trying to cover a blatant plot hole. Nothing but informed attributes and intentionally vague motivations to smokescreen the fact they either didn't have a clue on what they were doing, or as the leaked concept art suggests it was just going to be the Quintessons but the production staff were too chickenshit to actually commit to something lore wise for a change.

16. Insurgent

The allspark creates sparks. It still needs a body to put that life into. Yes, it regenerated frenzys body, but a big chunk of his existing body was still there and it simply grew it out. We have never seen the allspark create a full transformer from nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess it would have been nice to at least pay it lip service. Maybe even just imply that Optimus and co were mistaken to believe the AllSpark was the source of their creation. Or that the cube was created by / used by the Creators.

Instead the AllSpark just stops being a thing after ROTF (there was an implication in the novelization that the essence of the AllSpark lived on in the Matrix, but that never really factored into anything).

Actually... if I recall, one of DOTM Leader Class Sentinel Prime's voice clips is "What has happened to the AllSpark?!"

• Like Like x 1
  18. Insurgent

Lockdown does say "You think you were born? You were built." Implying Prime was wrong about his origin but yes I agree something more overt would have been nice.

The allspark downloading into the matrix after sam has his vision does explain why it reformed, why sam stopped going crazy and how the matrix was able to bring back sentinel in much the same way the shard brought back megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Except we did? Multiple times? Across two movies?

During the brief chase sequence in the city where Sam drops the cube and AllSpark energy shoots out, we see no less than three human built machines (Xbox, Escalade, Vending Machine) start sprouting limbs. The Vending Machine flat out canonically becomes Dispensor.
    [​IMG]

And earlier in the film, as a demonstration the S7 guy takes the Nokia phone and blasts it with AllSpark energy, turning it into a transformer as well that immediately tries to escape and kill everyone if it was strong enough to break through reinforced bulletproof glass or whatever the observation thing was built out of.
    [​IMG]

And THEN
    in ROTF, there's the whole scene where a mere sliver of the AllSpark is enough to transform a whole house worth of appliances.
    [​IMG]

So, again, what's the point of Transformium when the AllSpark is perfectly capable of making the bodies for the sparks it creates anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Insurgent

In every single instance, the allspark is putting life into existing items. Yes, it is transforming the existing items to make them transform, but it is not pulling those bodies out of thin air. The objects physically exist first. So yes, the allspark may be able to alter existing things into bodies, but it still needs that physical object first. That's where the transformium comes into it.

• Like Like x 6