GenZhao aka KOToys.com aka acetoy.net

Discussion in 'Junkion Exchange Feedback' started by TheMonarch, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I feel like I should add my experience here. I do NOT recommend you do business with this guy or KOTOYS... and here is why...

I placed big orders with GenZhao a few times in the past, when he was starting out. He was a bit slow getting back to me, but he always came through. Because of this, whenever people have asked about using KOTOYS, or people have criticized him publicly, I've stood up and defended him based on my own experiences. In all the personal mudslinging that has been going on between him and some TFW boardmembers lately, I've remained pointedly neutral, and not gotten involved.

BUT...

Just once, in passing, I mentioned innocuously in a thread that I might be open to buying KO toys from another board member based in China. Mike is actually banned from this forum for making death threats (!!!), but apparently he still spies on it, because within a day or two I was suddenly BANNED from the KOTOYS forum and website. Couldn't visit, couldn't see the online store, nothing.

Not only that, but I didn't receive a single notice or e-mail about it. He didn't ask for an explanation or tell me he'd rather I not buy from one of his competitors for personal reasons. He just banned me right away, as if the fact that I was one of his first customers and that we were on first-name basis was irrelevant.

When I posted in a thread about this surprise banning on this forum, he DID contact me by e-mail, and lifted the ban... but only long enough to tell me that if I ever wanted to use his site, I would have to edit my post, and instead make personal attacks on the other seller for him!!!

I replied that I wasn't about to do that, and that any personal conflicts going around in the community were not my business. I just like my plastic robots, and I'd reserve the right to buy from whoever I want, but as far as all the infighting and slander went, I wanted to be left out of it. Needless to say, I got no answer, but was promptly re-banned from his site.

SO... think about what kind of person conducts business this way, and what kind of pettiness is at work there. Think about whether this is the kind of person you'd want to deal with... chaotic, unreliable, vindictive and possibly quite paranoid.

This is entirely my experience with him as a customer. It has nothing to do with some of the OTHER things people have said about him, on a more personal level. So I'm not muckraking or jumping on the lynch-mob here. I really thought things were cool with him, and he turned on me INSTANTLY, and started trying to bribe me into slandering other sellers on his behalf, and I had nothing to do with this little KO seller war going on.

So even if he did grant me access to the site again, after being treated this way with no justification, I have NO reason to trust this guy, and I don't think there's any chance of me ever wanting to buy anything from him again.

I'd warn others to think twice about buying from him as well. There are other options, better sellers, and considering how badly he's hurt his own reputation with his actions, I don't see any reason why anybody should support KOTOYS.

I'm sorry it happened this way, but he really screwed me for no reason. It's too bad.

zmog

2. mbm1976

mbm1976 Banned

If this guy's service hasn't improved by now, I think we're all better off taking our KO business elsewhere.

3. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I just received my third order from KOToys - my first loose products. Package, as per usual, was beaten up, but amazingly the rainmakers were intact. Had written a few times without getting a response, but as above, did receive my items.

Based on reading a few pages here, I feel lucky and am done with purchases from this site

4. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Did you know they made some changes to the rainmakers? The green one (acid storm) now comes with an actual green nose. The missile launchers are now color coordinated to the color of the seeker. I think I will be posting up my experience here with that site shortly. Needless to say, I am a very dissatisfied customer of theirs right now. I'll hold off until I get my rainmakers in the mail. I'm not sure if I got the old set (acid storm with yellowish nose and silver missile launchers) or new sets.....

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had an issue , which saddens me because I like KoToys.

I ordered a figure and a week later had money to get more things I needed. I was refunded the secondary shipping fee and told everything would go out in one package. Well I received the intial order but nothing else. I was polite and asked 3 times about the second package and got no response. So I filed a claim with paypal. They (KO) countered by giving the same tracking number as the first package. I wrote to paypal about the obvious scam and won the claim.

What sucks is I never had a problem before and there are figures I want that I can't seem to find elsewhere and I want to order more from KO but apparently you have to order ONE item and wait until you receive it before getting another item. Quantity orders and orders close to each other apparently have a risk of issues like mine.

If anyone would be kind to PM a more reliable KO source I'd be very appreciative.

6. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Yeah, they used to be very responsive. But these days, they've gotten to be real irresponsible in replying to messages. Their live help is of no use because no one ever responds. I've been made to think Gen is the only person that replies to e-mails, packages things and sends them out. Yet, what about the other person....Kate? *shakes head*.....I don't know if I want to place another order or not. Or if I should.....because there's one more item I would like....

7. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't. Too risky. If you do use paypal.

8. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Yeah....you're right. I could live without it.

9. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This feedback thread made me very wary to order from KOTOYS, but I am happy to report that I placed an order for a KO DIA Commander, and it arrived well packaged and less than a month after ordering. I have no complaints whatsoever.

10. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's my experience with KPToys.com. In short: items arrived quickly and well packed, but there was a problem that took a paypal dispute to solve.

I place and order for 5 items. It was shipped within a day or two, and arrived really quickly (about 3 weeks, i think) and the items were packed well.

I ordered a chms seeker, the regular colored classics mirage, and 3 legends. First problem: one legends was wrong (I ordered classics bumblebee, they sent animated bee), and Mirage broke during the first transformation (cheap plastic).

I emailed them the day after the package arrived (with pictures), 3 days later got a response asking for pictures. I resent the pictures with a MS Paint applied arrow to point out the broken part, and 6 days later (today) I had no further response.

So at about 10am this morning I opened a paypal dispute and escalated it to a claim (since I had already waited 9 days) asking for either: replacement bee & part of mirage or a partial refund (cost of items plus 2/5ths of shipping cost).

At 5 or 6 pm tonight they refunded me and the partial refund went through.

So, if nothing goes wrong you're in the clear, if something does you'll likely have to go through paypal to get a response. I'm guessing that's pretty much how they (kotoys) operates. So, in the end its ok, and considering they're KOs to begin with, I'm content.

====

Toys quality:

CHMS Skywarp: loose leg ball joints the only real major flaw, but that's easily fixable with the glue method. Paint aps were ok, not perfect, but not terrible. Wing stripes and decepticon logos are good, the eyes were the only weird thing on mine.

Regular classics mirage: this isn't the same mold as the clear version, and it shows. Cheaper plastic (the small part that's the "cockpit" on the car snapped right off) and the neck doesn't swivel. Paint is terrible, but the "stamped" logos and lettering are good. For $8.99 (loose) its not too bad.

Legends: cheap plastic and bad paint aps, but generally tight joints and ok for display. If you give them to your kid they might suffer, but for $2.69 (loose) I'm happy. I'll re-paint the one with the worst paint aps probly. Also: I got the standard colored classics jazz legends, on the site he's in car mode, but for some reason his legs are casted in green plastic (?). For $2.69 I'm not going to complain, but its weird.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  11. bryaneasy

bryaneasy New Member

Not good

Hey guys, just wanted to say that I ordered a superion giftset, dinobots and a devastator giftset from this guy and this is my first order and I didn't even get my superion! I have started a claim and will probably escalate in the next few days as there has been no response for a day now. But yeah I am a seller myself on e-bay and the whole time over 3 years that ive been selling stuff ive only ever stuffed up an order ONCE..... I mean for this guy to be getting it as wrong as i hear he is is just really damn sloppy. I don't even want him to post out the superion just want a refund for that item now... on another note I ordered some other knock offs from a guy called t800pro on ioffer he was about the same in price and really quick to post... Anyway thats just my experience, and btw imo the devastator is probably the only KO giftset worth getting the others are so cheap and light that you feel like your carrying a box of feathers...

12. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jamesbenjamin - I'd advise everyone to follow your way of dealing with KOToys - if you have a problem, and your mails are not getting answered for a week, do not wait. Escalate a claim to Paypal. Mike and his gang are much faster to react to those. I learned this the hard way.

As I know now thanks to his webdesigner, Mike does these things on purpose with buyers who once left him negative feedback, even if they retracted it later. Frankly, I don't care... nothing in the world can make me buy from him ever again.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Agreed... he is incredibly petty, vindictive and paranoid, as I discovered quite innocently. I can't believe I used to defend the guy. He really lost my faith.

zmog

14. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    agreed that paypal claims do help in getting an issue resolved. However, keep in mind the new cassettes will probably be a preorder. Since they will be sold out quickly, many people will jump on them and preorder them before they come out. The window to generate a paypal claim now starts from when you preorder. By the time the figure is actually released, there is a good chance the window to generate a claim will have expired.

15. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Well here's the thing. I find him doing this to others who have faithfully bought from him before and have had praises for him. Like me. Then all of a sudden, I had to wait well over a week for a response. To get nothing but a lame response, then another e-mail from him trying to twist things to make it look like a real petty issue on my part. Then another e-mail complaining that all anyone does to him is "bitch bitch bitch" and him whining about how much he doesn't "care for it" or "need it" So I thought I'd be cool about it and tell him in a reasonable way that people expect to have feedback/responses.....when ya don't respond, that makes people think the worst. Obviously....he didn't get it or he ignored it. He then proceeded to send me the missing pins I needed for a seeker, but on 3 separate occasions, they were all the wrong pins despite me sending him pics of the exact pin I needed. So you can add gross incompetence to the list of his accolades.

That at least....makes two of us.

I heard that of him too, but honestly, what's he going to do? Not send me my stuff? LMAO!!! I refuse to order or do business with him again, so I'm covered there. What next? Come to my house? Shit.......if he's that stupid to do that.....well....I won't be liable for what happens.

16. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, let's hope some other guy in China can get those sold as well. After all, I doubt Mike is the only contact the factory making those has.

17. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it sounds like Mike footed the bill to buy the originals to be used for the casts. If that is so, I would assume KOToys would have these as an exclusive.

18. cingularman31

cingularman31 Alternator Freak

News Credits:
    Oh dear me. Here you go Paul. Though he never mentions the actual site name. Strange is that not xD.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
  19. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Oh but if I felt the need to pick apart that message you quoted.......but I no longer care. They recently JUST sent me an e-mail about sending me my missing pins...3 FREAKING months after they sent me the WRONG one for the THIRD TIME. They had the nerve to ask me if I got the part........*facepalm*

20. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I had emailed them MONTHS ago about doing their "wholesale program" which according to that long rant looks more like 1 guy than a "program". I've bought from Daelite and he's AWESOME, but why I never got a straight answer from KOTOYS even though I was ready to go turned me off to the whole deal and I stopped trying to get in touch with them.

Does anyone know who makes these KOs and how to contact them? Because frankly if KOTOYS is such a problem I'd be happy to try to go through CHMS or whoever directly and offer another alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.