Generations Thrilling 30 Orion Pax (Pictorial) Pic Heavy!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Shogen, Jul 29, 2013.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    The panels would have been flush with the forearms.

2. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I really want to turn this guy into Ironhide and the IDW Megatron into Galvatron. Any word on whether the Prime Ironhide head works on this body?

3. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Nope. Pax has the socket in his head and the ball post on his torso, Ironhide/Kup has the socket in his torso with the head on a ball post.

The only head I've been able to swap so far is FOC Prime, which fits but sits at a slight angle due to how its sculpted. Looks good though.

4. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! I will be on the lookout for other Ironhide or Hot Rod heads in an attempt to make a better Classics Ironhide. Of course, I don't think the Pax head would look too bad as Ironhide if it was painted red.

5. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

Look at the space the hands occupy within the forearms. The forearms already get wider near where the fist itself stores to hide the hand completely when viewed from above in truck mode. There's just no room unless you want a non-standard peg hole in the hand.

As is, I personally like not having to fuss around opening and closing tiny panels. Pax has a really fun and quick transformation which never really gets bogged down at any particular point. Kind of like the 'Instantaneous Conversion' Rack and Ruin talk about in the comic.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    So is damn near every other deluxe to come out in the Classics, Universe, and Generations lines.

Not so long ago we would not get a hinged panel to cover that up on a deluxe. The only classics deluxe that covers up the spot the fist flips out of with a hinged panel is Warpath. Really. He's the only one.

Mirage, Rodimus, Hound and Starscream (and all his mold reuses) have the entirety of their forearms hollow up to the elbow joint just like Orion Pax, and yet... no one cared when those toys did it. Now? People are talking about imaginary hinged panels that would have covered those gaps in the good old days that never existed.

The only non-classics deluxe that I can think of that has a panel to cover up the hole the hand comes out of is Cybertron Thundercracker. So thats two deluxes? two deluxes do not make something a standard feature to be expected on all toys.

7. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Even then, whether or not we get a hinged panel depends on if the actual toy design requires or allows it.

In the case of Warpath, it's necessary for the transformation to have said panel. Same with guys like Terradive.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Could also have be designed à la HFTD Terradive, where the fist rotates inside the forearm to expose another part in alt mode (in this case, could have been just a red square to finish off the alt mode). Imagination. Use it.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    My point stands. the hinged panels you talked of don't actually exist outside of one toy in the entire deluxe classics range, and all other toys that use the same hand transformation method leave the gap open, and no one complained about them. It doesn't make any sense to get angry about it now.

I could understand if this was a case where the hole was in the top of the arm like Energon Prowl, but it's not, so it's no big deal. it's the standard.

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Dude, you'll the only one angry around here. I'm pointing out a flaw. You're making a mountain out of it. You're happy about this toy you don't even have? Fine. I like it too, but it's not perfect. Accept it.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No, I'm pointing out that the "flaw" is not a flaw, and that it is also nothing even remotely unique or noteworthy.

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Maybe I got confused with other toys that use better yet very simple techniques to hide the fists, like Macross jets or SOC figures.

13. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    This is the point I've been trying to make a lot lately. Now that I have him in hand I can honestly say he measure up well with just about any modern deluxe, after they shrank the entire class. Prime, FoC, most of DotM. I measured him up to FoC Sideswipe, made from the same mold as Jazz that people swear is significantly larger than Orion, and Pax actually stands taller. The only proportions on Sideswipe that are bigger are his head (which is oversized to begin with) and his chest. Everything else is actually bigger on Orion, and even with that they still look good together.

I don't know why people are so anal about this. Even with the earlier Gen DLX being much bigger, the only one that would actually seem out of place is Bumblebee, who always seems out of place because he's freaking gigantic for a DLX. I don't know why people want so hard to display him with classics DLX (with their earth modes and all) and what's more expect Orion Pax to measure up to Optimus Prime, despite being an early matrix-less model.

Ah well, no point griping about it I guess. I got him. He rules. Other people's opinions don't really matter. I've said my peice (peace?).

14. Nordh

Nordh Well-Known Member

Well I picked him up today. I was very happy that I did. I thought the comic was of great value, the paper/art/writing in my opinion was fantastic!

As far as his size goes.. hmm.. well, it's a deluxe. Kinda bothered me before I got him but not now. I have no problem with his size at all. Really a fun figure with great accessories.

I hope we see more of these...

15. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    a friendly reminder that the final step in his conversion to alt mode should be pushing the front of the cab down until it clicks itself into position with the front windshield flush to the nose.

everyone i see with this guy misses this and has the widescreen sitting above...i cant blame them though, even hasbro apparently doesn't know its a part of the transformation

16. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked this one up as well. I had been lured in by the nice pics, praise, and EXCELLENT packaging presentation with the comic.

I got mine from Target, and I looked at the pegs, and the pegs said 11.97 or something, then I go to ring it up and it said $15.97!!

HOLY SHIT! That seems a lot..but it comes with a comic..I went for it.

The best part of this guy comes with Bot mode. It IS a VERY nice robot mode. Excellent articulation points everywhere, Stable, My only real gripe with the bot mode is the flap behind the head..I just HATE that for some reason, with any TF.

Alt mode...Aaaahh...OK...1st off..Your Cybertronian..Light years away from earth...WHy you look like an El Camino that was out scrappin' for aluminum on trash nights? I find the car mode DECENT at best. One thing that pisses me off to all hell, is the wonderfully free rolling pegged front wheels, and then the rear clip on wheels don't roll for shit.

Transformation is cool..does something new..I like that.

The Gun is GRAVY. I can use that gun with so many TFs and just give this guy the staff..I LOVE dat gun.

By biggest gripe with the figure as a whole..Is "Orion Pax" in general. I almost feel like this would have been a WAY better Perceptor in a way. There are all sorts of nods to a G1 Optimus but still I just don't like this figure as a "pre Optimus Prime".

This one is worth it for the bot mode alone. I feel no real connection for THIS figure, to morph into "optimus Prime". I would say this would look GREAT as having 2 of these displayed as "cybertronian Elite Guard" or something..Like one on each side of Optimus Prime.

The size is really not that big a deal with THIS one..Now Megs..Yea..go ahead and bitch about the size of that one, but there is no real reason to complain about the size of this toy.

Besides the in hand feeling that there is no connection to Prime, I can recommend this one. Sure I see the nods to Prime....yea yea..but it just does not work for me to try to imagine the Incredibly strong and bulky WFC Optimus or G1 Optimus coming form this El Camino looking thing, and really a whimpy looking bot. I KNOW he was a librarian..blah blah..yea..But that connection here just don't cut it for me.

17. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    And now I feel as stupid as I did when someone told me WfC Optimus' kneecaps could flip back to make tail lights for his vehicle mode, or when the slots on Jazz/Sideswipe's shoulders tab into the panels on the side of his vehicle mode to make the roof sit flush.

You got me again, Hasbro.

Though admittedly this is a very tight joint on Orion. Even if I had suspected of it before, I would've been too afraid of breaking him to try it.

18. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Here he is shredding on his Axe-tar!

[​IMG]

19. Scypris

Scypris Fire in another hole!

News Credits:
    Got Orion Pax the other day, man this guy is small. But I guess getting a free comic book fixes that. He's a pretty solid figure though, nice sculpting and articulation. Some paint splotches on mine, but I can fix that. Overall, he's a very nice figure. I can't wait to find the rest of the wave.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  20. shiin

shiin Well-Known Member

Received a sending with the Thrilling 30 deluxes and Sandstorm yesterday. So far I only opened up Orion Pax. I have to say, he is a great little toy - even though the pins holding his head and upper torso are extremely stiff. When transforming him first, I even looked into the instructions and a youtube video to verify that I was pushing in the right direction.

The idea of including the IDW spotlights with these toys is also a great idea. I am only a tiny bit disgruntled about that as I have already bought all of these comics before - and as due to the comics the cardboard does not have any image of the toy. I hope if they continue with this, they will provide new comics or provide the comics before IDW puts them out.

Also, this was my first non-Masterpiece Transformer since Warpath in 2011. The plastic of the toy feels somehow different than before. Can anyone explain what it is that they changed?