Generations Selects WFC-GS27 Galvatron (G1 toy deco)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by jojo1982, Jul 5, 2021.

1. mondo

mondo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like to see the clean version with Scourge and Cyclonus. I dont have a Galvatron and I dont know which one to get.

2. Kaosu Reido

Kaosu Reido Well-Known Member

I liked that mold and usage, and I think it would have been hilarious if SG Galvatron was made from from a then-contemporary MEGATRON mold, instead of "hey this helicopter bot sort of has abs".

Since SG Galvatron was 2011, and discounting movie molds because I don't think that would have passed muster, along with sticking to Voyager or above, it looks like the most viable Megatron molds at the time were the Voyager and Leader Class Animated Megatrons.

Well, that's either a spaceshipgun, or... a really big helicopter. Honestly though, take your pick, but I think they should have gone with spaceshipgun.

3. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Why would anyone be jealous of a guy who pays triple the price to get a figure we gonna get for cheap in two months ? If youtube clicks are making him six figures, good for him.
    Im a traditional G1 fan so I prefer my SG to be an extension of traditional G1 to include mold choices. I just cant get into the corporate mold choice decisions sugarcoated as being upside down, topsy turby, or whatever they were saying to justify that they made Megatron look like Galvatron. Pete from Botcon said the choice was because the nerf gun mold was not a vehicle like the rest. While I get the logic there, one might argue that the only reason a Galvatron (homage) mold was used was because a voyager scale tank Megatron mold didnt exist back in 2008. If it dod, I have no doubt in my mind that Galvy-megs wouldnt exist. I say let him RIP with Botcon and embrace Hasbro's new direction. But thats just me.

4. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    >preferring Marvel Ratchet
    >not liking to paint your figures.

You poor SoB.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Kaosu Reido

Kaosu Reido Well-Known Member

Sure, I like the new SG Megatron, too. I just kind of like the idea, though, of SG Megatron - SG Galvatron having the molds reversed. Start with a Galvatron mold, and the upgrade is a Megatron mold.

6. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did make an exception. :lol  Unfortunately, I’m not good at it, even for simple things.

C4B5DD88-459F-479C-BEA9-BEBFBDB34F3C.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  7. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

What the hell\'s with the purple crown?

8. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It comes from the same sprue as the arms, thus purple plastic. Making it grey or white would have involved some expensive re-tooling or lots of paint. Looks like Hasbro decided it wasn't cost effective and threw in a sticker for the front only. Unsure why this repaint, and so a need to fit it on a different sprue, wasn't considered at the tooling stage, but clearly it wasn't. Or maybe it was and it couldn't be made to work (within budget) for some reason. Whatever. I'll be painting mine :) 

9. Rated X

Rated X Banned

I hear you. But for me personally, that concept is too corporate. I use the word "corporate" for lack of a better word to describe what I mean. But basically, the Funpub sugarcoating bothers me. Call it OCD if you like. In 2008, the whole storyline/comic was centered around physical molds that were available at the time to accompany a convention that required toys. With that being said, the storyline and artwork was subject to limitations that a regular comic book (with no exclusive toys) wouldnt have to deal with. If shattered glass was a comic only story, Mega-Galvy and other mold reuse characters wouldnt exist. In my opinion, it doesnt get more "corporate" than that. (When toy molds affect the actual comic art instead of vice versa) My OCD says the whole repurposing thing is just too funpub for 2021. Thats not to say "improvising" molds wasnt a great thing back in the day. But since Combiner Wars we have gotten great update molds for nearly every G1 character. It seems like a good idea to leave repurposing molds in the history books and move forward. One might argue Transformers is all about repurposing because of repaints. That is true to a certain extent. But the concept doesnt fare as well for updated molds as it did for creating the core characters 35 years ago. Theres nothing wrong with giving Bluestreak a white paint job and calling him Prowl. But what Funpub was doing was more like painting Jazz red and calling him Dead End. That was fine when there was no Dead End mold available. But since we have a great Combiner Wars Dead End mold available now, I would cringe if Hasbro does a Dead End repaint of Studio Series Jazz, along with a yellow Arcee as Dragstrip and a white Hot Rod as Breakdown. I think weve moved past that stage in the game. But it seems that some OG Shattered Glass fans from dont want to 2008 go and move foward. Thats just my opinion though. When it comes to G1, Im a purist and I like the idea of making Shattered Glass more GEEWUN and less of a convention novelty. To me that legitimizes it more, especially now that Botcon and Funpub are in the history books. Newer fans wont get Funpub because they werent collecting in that era where fans werw demanding updates that Hasbro wasnt delivering. Now Hasbro is bringing out their A game to levels that would never have been imagined during Botcon's heyday.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hrrrrmmmm, I didn't preorder this but now I'm tempted........

11. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    5357666D-D4B1-4656-8465-27270AE286FA.gif

• Like Like x 6
  12. SecretWyvern

SecretWyvern Tax fraud is the right of all sentient beings

There's an irony in calling out SG for corporate mold choices and restrictions...when that's exactly what G1 was lmao do you really think they picked the dumb looking gun to be the main villain for any reason other than the accessories they could pack in with it??

Definitely looking forward to this Galvatron, though I'm gonna hope the more familiar with paints people will be able to let it be known what shade of paint to use to match his helmet to fix his crown when he comes out cause my borderline colorblind self. Might also paint the forearms the same shade to match the original toy a bit more and for personal preference.

• Like Like x 4
  13. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    In general, I can go with most of that, although since Galvatron IS Megatron, I defer to precedent and I think SG Megatron should look more like Galvatron.

The mold they're actually using isn't terrible. I just prefer the original look.

14. Rated X

Rated X Banned

I mean everyone gonna have their own expectations of what Shattered Glass 2.0 should or shouldn't be. Im just more of a traditionalist. Id be okay with SG Megatron becoming SG Galvatron at some point, ala 1986 style. But just cant get into the whole mold availability issue defining his look and totally bucking tradition. I like a more traditional mirror universe like they did on star trek or super friends. The need for convention toys to go with the comic in 2008 made following that tradition impossible. Seems like many older fans want a continuation of where Funpub left off, but instead Hasbro decided to reboot Shattered Glass altogether. The irony is the the fandom doesnt seem to be as happy with a more G1 style "reboot" this time around. They bullied Paramount to make Bayverse more G1, so why not Shattered Glass too ?

15. Nediablo

Nediablo Member

Oooh I really like the look of this!

I\'ll see about getting a grey paint as close as I can and paint the crest. I may paint the shoulder pylons grey also, but will see if I can digibash them first (I\'ve never done one. Google will help).

\'Belt\' will have a splash of red. Eyes will be painted yellow. I was torn on which one I wanted but was gifted Kingdom Galvatron. I love the mould so will happily have 2! 

This Selects version will really live up to his name then. Sticker sheet is being sent away though, they\'re not for me! I still have my pre order and haven\'t forgot about you gibdozer! The mad lad wants them for his Kingdom Galvatron for some bizarre reason! Glad they\'ll have a home though. 

16. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Honestly, I read your response, and think "but which tradition?" The tradition of SG itself is quite different than the one you're describing. SG Megatron NOT looking like Galvatron is, I don't think it's at all wrong to say, a break from tradition.

As you say, everyone can have their own expectations.

As to Hasbro's doing a "more G1 style 'reboot,'" I'm actually intrigued by how much this new SG Megatron doesn't follow the pattern of the existing Megatron mold, but includes all-new parts specifically designed to make the existing Megatron mold more like the Fun Pub SG Megatron, giving it an aerial alt-mode.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Lets not sugarcoat anything. Here are the facts that we know:

1. Pete from Botcon says that Funpub chose not to use Nerf gun Megatron in 2008 because it did not have a vehicle alt mode.

2. There was no voyager (or larger) scale G1 aesthetic Megatron with a tank alt mode in 2008 for Funpub to use.

3. Energon Megatron is a Galvatron homage aestheticly and Takara gave it a G1 Galvatron deco in their Superlink line.

4. Funpub had to base the comic on physical toys available for the convention. (Not on animation or artwork)

These are all indisputable facts.

Now lets throw in some pretty popular opinions:

1. Traditional mirror universes tend to stick to inverted colors. We saw it in Star Trek, Super Friends, and the evil clones of the Gargoyles. Not to mention Nemesis Prime.

2. Tradtional G1 aesthetic portrays Megatron with his G1 robot mode likeness, not Galvatron's G1 robot mode likeness.

3. Shattered Glass may have been ahead of its time back in 2008. Thirteen years is a pretty long time to test it in the mainstream collectors market. Why not go with the formula (for Megatron's aesthetic) that always works time and time again ?

Im more inclined to think of the extra parts to give him a jet alt mode as an Easter egg. Dont act like Megatron hasnt had air modes before outside of Shattered Glass. (2007 Bayverse, TF Prime, TF Animated) The fact that they chose Seige Megatron mold instead of the Kingdom Galvatron mold is a good indicator that they wanted to go a more G1 route. In my opinion, they gave it the jet alt mode parts so that it would appeal to both old and new TF fans. In my opinion, I also believe that Hasbro felt a more traditional Megatron aesthetic would fare better with new fans than trying to explain why he looks like Galvatron but is called Megatron. Shattered Glass is confusing enough to a newbie fan without throwing in the homaging of obselete repurposing criterias. In my opinion, Funpub would have probably gone this route back in 2008 if more G1 style aesthetic molds had been available at the time. Im inclined to believe Hasbro is just playing it safe with Shattered Glass. This probably doesnt appeal to old school Funpub fans, but its more likely to bring in new fans if they reboot Shattered Glass to be more in line with the WFC/Generations universe rather than an old convention nobody under 30 remembers.

18. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    You keep going on and on about how Fun Pub chose their molds. I've never disputed any of that. If your preference isn't to follow that model, I'm not arguing with you. I'm just saying that, for SG Megatron, specifically, I prefer what Fun Pub did to some idea that we have to do a Megatron mold now that we're not beholden to the same limitations. Why are you still pushing so hard on this?

• Like Like x 5
  19. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know I like that they look different than G1. Yes, it was because of the molds available, but it also helped differentiate them from the originals. That’s why I prefer they use the FP versions if possible.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    This is the weirdest argument I’ve seen in a while. Railing against the “corporate” machinations of a small fan convention in defense of Hasbro. Asking us to think of the children, who desperately need their own Shattered Glass that’s somehow more slavish to G1 and less so to the SG Con ten years ago because…

• Like Like x 7