Generations Selects Star Convoy, Super Megatron & Snaptrap figures

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Paladin, Apr 4, 2019.

1. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I meant that, as Rodimus "devolved" back to Hot Rod, and that the MP and 3P "Fans Project" version's were arguably "armour" for Hotrod, then for me, Rodimus is the final version of Hotrod. He goes from Hotrod, to Roddy Prime, back to Hot Rod and then gets dine armour later on to become Rodimus (in lieu of the Matrix).

If that's true, then Hotrod could be added to that list.

Anyway, I got my SC today and it is glorious. The star on the chest is a bit trigger-happy (you'll see it when you get yours, folks) and the self-applied trailer stickers are cut to be bigger than they need to be (hurumph), plus the mini-Optimus' his are a bit loose. However, the extensive remolding throughout all of his robot modes is beautiful.

I'm more of a Power Master OP fan myself, but THIS version is closer (in feel and stability for play) to PM OP than the officials his official releases by Hasbro or Takara.

Here's mine, with Prime holding the recently arrived "Smashdown" battlemaster. IMG_20190929_210623.jpg IMG_20190929_213128.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    The star on the chest will ping back down at the slightest test, and the hips on the smaller figure are loose, but the super mode is fine on mine.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Reading stuff about loose joints. Hopefully these are just first run hiccups that’ll get rectified in a month or so.

• Like Like x 1
  4. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Ahh... I always saw the armor/trailer as "Rodimus Prime only" stuff so that Hot Rod (no matrix) can just have the car mode and no trailer. Like the Matrix created that extra trailer so Roddy's frame can properlly hold the power it weilds.

...Also, I just remembered about SG Roddy... I don't know to much about him, so he gets a catagory of his own. "TBD"...
    he looks good with the hammer. Thanks for the pics!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Mine was from pulse

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dogbomber

Dogbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not such thing as first or second run.

• Like Like x 1
  7. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Ironworks isnt't G1 Irontread, then perhaps it's Superlink Irontread (Energon Demolisher) which could be a pretool of G1 Landfill.

Which means more '88 awesomeness.

• Like Like x 4
  8. fathi_haziq

fathi_haziq Petrolhead

News Credits:
    Wotafa's review:

• Like Like x 3
  9. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Finally Wotafa my man! :D 

10. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    Have some minor FOMO over missing out on him, although that’s mitigated by the vehicle mode.

Also, not picking on anyone and this thread is not the most egregious culprit, but I always find it weird when people complain that a toy produced in 2019 does not precisely match one produced twenty years earlier, as if the windows thing was carved into stone by a higher power and not a relatively arbitrary decision made by some designer at Takara who has likely forgotten all about it. Same thing about people who complain that the color of a figure is slightly off. It’ll be the death of the brand if HasTak feels like it’ll be punished for doing anything other than slavishly regurgitating 1984-1989.

• Like Like x 4
  11. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    Design cues are important in making a figure like this hit the mark better. Colors as well. They are not minor or arbitrary. If you're going to make a character, you need to make it look like the character. Hell, his windows are such a unique part of his design, it was lifted for Animated Prime.

12. Fenrys

News Credits:
    except even without the angled windows the bot mode is easily recognizable as star convoy, therefore they are not an absolutely necessary design cue and more or a preferential one

• Like Like x 2
  13. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    This.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    This is where we fundamentally disagree. For many characters at this point, especially a D-lister (in the US) like this, I’d rather have a fresh and creative take that’s unencumbered by things that only a small handful of people will care about.

Edit:
    And by the way, this is a Selects homage so I think accuracy to the old toy is probably more important. But if they were to do a WFC Star Convoy (for example), I would hope they would do something different and cool.

• Like Like x 1
  15. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    This is the wrong line for that.

It's a unique design cue, there's no reason not to have it. Especially when the original use of this mold is an Optimus Prime that they're using it to make him into a different version of Optimus Prime and and making it look less like G1 Optimus Prime by taking that design cue would only help make the effort even stronger.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    thats true, but ultimately unnecessary considering its already a pretty heavy retool. the star on the chest is the more iconic detail and its what the eyes will be drawn to. if this was a new mold i would agree that the windows should have the slanted detail, but considering its a retool id say they did a damn good job at making the bot mode recognizable as star convoy. not having the slanted windows doesnt make him not look like star convoy

• Like Like x 1
  17. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    If individuals want something exactly like the way it was 20-30 years ago, there's either reissues or a place called eBay to buy those exact figures.
    Some have a sense of entitlement, if it's not exactly the way they want it, it's fair game to complain to the point of calling others wrong for not agreeing. Additionally, and I have said this before, a few times in threads like this and the debacle the Unicron thread turned into, but neither Hasbro or Takara are forcing anyone to purchase these figures. No one has yet to provide evidence to the contrary, but if someone feels compelled to complain about something one plans on buying, with the final product not even in-hand, yet flood threads with negative comments daily, one might want to rethink their collecting habits.

I believe someone said it earlier, "don't like it, don't buy it."

18. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Bummer. I would have taken it. Doesn't look like they'll re-open pre-orders if there are cancellations.

19. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can the two inner core robots be swapped between the larger frames? If so, can someone take a pic? Curious how it would look.

20. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They intended to keep the POTP alt-mode. If the'd remolded the chest/cab windows, they would have had to remold the entire trailer as well to match (which was probably out of their budget).

How many Star Convoy fans would have been happy with a Star Convoy type cab with a G1-style trailer alt-mode? Don't get me wrong, I would have preferred something closer in design to the original toy, and I'm pretty sure Takara's designers would have, too. However they had to use what was available to them - existing mode and budget.

LATER EDIT:
    You have a point there. I'd completely forgotten about that. I think it may have been a budget issue, after all. Man, just one little detail....:( .

Still, I'll be glad to get Star Convoy.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 2