Generations Selects Star Convoy, Super Megatron & Snaptrap figures

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Paladin, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    True. Unless they beef up the mold bigger to accommodate the micromasters.

Eh, I don't think he'd warrant yet another Titan. The Titan class seems reserved for known mainstream characters like Fort Max, Omega Supreme, and now Scorponok. Even Metrotitan doesn't seem warranted.

TakaraTomy did the Powered Masters trio, Greatshot, and God Ginrai's full package with Godbomber, but none of those saw release outside of Japan. I doubt we would see a Grandus from Hasbro's Generations Select line.

If anything, a proper Metalhawk, Go-Shooter, or Minerva would seem more likely.

• Like Like x 3
  2. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Generations Selects also includes Takara's offerings....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Generations: Selects is Hasbro actually importing toys that would normally be Takara-exclusive, like Star Convoy and Super/Ultra Megatron. So... if Takara does end up making a Grandus it's very likely it will be released by Hasbro as a Generations: Selects toy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, unlike Star Convoy and Super Megatron, there doesn't seem to be a printed height for Grandus (or Sky Garry), which leaves us at the mercy of the artwork in the different iterations.

In the TV Magazine pages, Grandus never actually appears in robot mode next to anyone in reasonable distance from anyone with good perspective (Actually, you can say that about most of them); the closest comes when they do the Triple Combination Attack and Grandus' alt mode looks to be toy scale with Star Convoy (Sky Garry seems smaller then toy scale). However, during the False Convoy battle, Grandus is in mobile base mode has a tiny robot mode Sky Garry on it. When the team has been swallowed by Star Giant is probably the best image of them together, but Star Convoy and Sky Garry aren't fully visible and they're not next to each other, with Grandus behind the others, but it looks like Grandus is bigger then Sky Garry. Sky Garry in the introduction when he gets the Zodiac to revive Convoy is about a head shorter then Dai Atlas FWIW.

In the Manga, his only appearance is in base mode in one panel with no one else in that panel.

In the TV Catalog retelling, he's all over the place. Grandus is a head shorter then Dai Atlas. Then he's a head taller then Sky Garry. Then Star Convoy reaches his stomach and Sky Garry's antennas are in line with his groin.

Overall, it looks like Grandus is bigger then the toy is against the others, but how much seems to be open for interpretation. Gun to my head I'd say that the top of Grandus' head should be in line with the center of Star Convoys chest 3-point star.

EDIT: I was looking at TFWiki and there's a picture there that I don't have at all in my Battlestars folder, depicting Sixliner, Grandus and Sky Garry together, where Grandus is very clearly the largest of the group, so take that as you will.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

Not quite so simple. Generations Selects is the name both of Hasbro's line of mostly redecoes and new-head-only retools, and Takara's Legends-style heavier retools. Both are under the same name.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    If you really want to make a technical distinction, Generations Selects is the Hasbro line and Generation Selects is the Takara line.

• Like Like x 4
  7. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I've been thinking which characters "support" these two on a shelf well as a theme beyond Sky Garry, Sixtrain, Grandus, Dai Atlas, and Galaman drones (curious what Takara could remold as the latter, Siege seeker? TR Astrotrain?). Maybe Gilthor.

Obviously, there's MMs. Kicking myself for skipping the Target boxed set.

So a part of me was thinking, "Huh. Maybe late G1 versions of 84 characters as kind of a reunion shelf." So I'm thinking maybe Soundblaster and Starscream's ghost or G2 Starscream or Gilthor and G2 Sideswipe and Goldbug would go with these guys. The retroactive timeline doesn't work out perfect thanks to Legends manga but in terms of "these characters circa 1990 in toy form" it checks out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Erm...Yeah, seems that it's all over the place. :lol 

Nevertheless, thanks for sharing mate. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  9. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Guiltaur would be an amazing figure to pop up! Is it weird that when it comes to the Legends comics, I almost see him being made by Star Convoy trying to stop Ultra megatron? Like maybe after an attempt to drain his dark powers with the matrix leads to some "X-men: Xavier and Magneto makes Onslaught" type deal? It's an entire universe apart from the actual original story, so it's already mixed up.

What mold would it be from, though? There have been some pretty cool customs from a few BH OP and Siege molds over the years....

• Like Like x 1
  10. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Maybe a new mold?

11. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    His name has come up before in this thread and I'll say again that the Siege Magnus / Galaxy Optimus inner bot would make a great base for this. He has all the attachment points needed to add on armor to make him look right... Takara could release a new complete figure or a 3P could release an armor set, either way.

• Like Like x 3
  12. RodimusRex

I mean... Takara has de-greebled versions of all the Siege molds as digital files, at least the early ones. They originally gave Warden a presentation of animation accurate figures and he told them it looked too plain and my impression was he referred them to Hot Toys and Palisades statues and so on to propose detailed up animation designs.

So my thought in particular is that the Siege seeker mold is a nearly endlessly retoolable default box-y action figure that can have wheels or a new backpack slapped on or new tabs and pegs added to support anything you can do with a 22 or so POA action figure.

I LIKE Guiltor or whatever coming from that mold because it gets across the idea that it's Starscream inside there.

Siege Optimus is probably best for a manga accurate vehicle mode.

Maybe Takara can only use pre-Siege figures. Voyager Laser Optimus/Octane is not a bad base particularly if you tool out the jet mode.

You could have the two heads for it -- Optimus and the more hybrid one -- and maybe reissue Starscream's ghost head from Octane.

In a weird way, I can see THAT working for the Legends Manga as a transtector that Optimus and Megatron fight over and Starscream's ghost steals. Maybe you KEEP the jet mode and deco it as Starscream's jet mode.

On a related note, you could probably go wild and have Robotmasters Reverse Convoy (the blue tank) from TR Megatron with two heads or use the base Apeface tooling with TR Megatron and Optimus to give him a double faceplate that spins.

I never EXPECTED Robotmasters to get homages but it's in the weird category of things Takara might do.

Wrecker Hook, R-Blade, Doubleface...

Honestly? You could do another CW-style Combiner just out of the Robotmasters Decepticons or heralds of Unicron.

They have Primacron running around in the manga right now so maybe we get something batty like him building Unicron a new body out of his heralds with Galvatron retooled from Scattershot, Scourge from Blastoff, Cyclonus from PotP Blackwing, Sideways from Wreck-Gar/Groove/Afterburner, and something nutty that I'm blanking on. Universe Ramjet from PotP Dreadwind? And Primacron's assistant from PotP Optimus Primal.

It's batty but I could almost see Takara saying, "Oh. Hey. Crowdunded Unicron is releasing and Hasbro is doing TFTM homages so let's get crazy with Primacron and less well known Unicron heralds."

I played around with mockups of a Primacron custom made with some legends class body like Cosmos or Seaspray with a full sized Titanmaster for a head as Primacron to go for that big headed little ape look.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    FOC Kickback is begging for a reuse as it. Hell, it could pass with just a redeco IMHO, but obviously a little retooling would go a long way.

FOC Kickback.jpg
    Galaman:
    Battlestars Galaman 1.jpg
    Great Galaman
    Battlestars Galaman.jpg

Galaman scale wise should be deluxes.

• Like Like x 6
  14. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, how long does it take for TFSafari to ship?
    Debating on whether or not to order Star Convoy.

*After signing up*
    Ok........how do they have my address and phone w/o me entering it?
    *Reading privacy policy*
    Oh... that's how.

15. Wh33ls

Wh33ls Original G1 kid, and loves Beasties as much, eh!

I'm still waiting for my Star Convoy to ship from them. Though, I may be waiting quite awhile until the shipping stabilizes.

16. Wh33ls

Question, what is the "MMs" Target boxed set? It's difficult for me to Google it without knowing what character(s) is(are) MMs, or which toy line it's from.

Unless you mean Micro Masters from Siege, then why are you kicking yourself for not getting it. What's in that set that can be used for Battlestars?

17. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Might be wise to hold off then.
    Especially since the family is moving in a couple months.

Also, there was a Siege Micro Master 10-pack that was a Target exclusive.
    That's what he means.

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    That's a great set!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wh33ls

Thanks, I edited my previous post to reflect my further confusion.

20. RodimusRex

I do.

The original Battlestars/Return of Convoy TOY LINE was built around Micro Master functionality.

Star Convoy had a base mode and the new one has an official base mode. Grandus was a Micro Master base. And the new Super Megatron has a large number of 5mm ports added presumably to plug Micro Masters into.

TFWiki makes it hard because they treat the American and Japanese Micro Masters (even when they share a name and deco) as separate characters. This may be in part because Japan released them all as Autobots.

But about 3/4ths of the War for Cybertron Micro Masters are remakes of near identical ones that were part of the Return of Convoy line in Japan, which was composed of Star Convoy, Sky Garry, Sixliner, Grandus, a handful of canceled figures (the fire truck Rodimus that was adapted into a Brave figure, Super Megatron) and a bajillion Autobot Micro masters (including basically all of the then current American Decepticon Micro Masters packaged as Autobots).

Star Convoy and Grandus were essentially the main playsets for a Micro Master line and Takara has gone one further by designing Super/Ultra Megatron to wear a bunch of Micro Masters by way of 5mm ports.

• Like Like x 2