Generations Selects Soundwave Spy Patrol 3rd Unit

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by RazorclawX, Apr 18, 2020.

1. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Received these quite early from Entertainment Earth.

You've seen these guys before if you've gotten Spy Patrol 2. Unlike most Generation Selects boxes which are a bit on the large size, this one comes as a sort of pizza-box variant with four micro cassettes neatly arranged in a square and held down by one plastic tie apiece. The box itself was clearly too large for all four of them.

Wingthing- straight up orange Ratbat. In fact he's almost entirely orange except for the painted thrusters and black chest.

Skar- Retool of Ratbat in a lilac shade and yellow chest. Head remolded to match G1 Skar (still safety plastic between the ears).

Blue Guy- He's Retail Rumble except blue where he was Red. No differences otherwise.

Knok- Retool of Rumble with a different head. Robot mode is dominated by a light shade of red and silver, but in micro cassette mode he's actually red and teal and could make a good match for Victorion if you didn't know any better (the teal coloration is 'hidden' by being on Knok's inside legs which is a very clever trick). Otherwise identical to Rumble.

Articulation and joints feel as good as they were with Ratbat and Rumble.

If you missed out on Ratbat and Rumble and don't mind having another pair of the same guys, pick this set up. Do it regardless of how you feel about Rumble's color scheme. Skar can be your Ratbat if you want!

ED: upon further inspection Knok's chest is actually the same as Rumble's.

=====

As an aside I have no plans to get Doubledealer so Skar is most likely going to be the Beast partner for CW Felbat and Knok has no current home/partner yet (I don't have Victorion so that could have been an easy answer, but alas).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Driskull98

Driskull98 Icon by @DTDraws on Twitter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Can't stand the Siege Rumble/Frenzy looks so if I ever picked this up, I'd probably be one of the few who'd chuck the Blue Guy on eBay or something and keep the rest.

3. Omega Magnus

Omega Magnus Can’t deal with this right now

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the writeup. Any pics?

4. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm a bit surprised and miffed that Hasbro opted to make Knok and Skar tapes rather than Prime Masters. I get that doing Skar that way might have been a bit tricky, but to me it makes way more sense. Prime Masters always felt like the modern update of power Masters to me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

Seeing as how the work with Doubledealer the same way the would fit into Soundwave/Blaster. They both fold into box shapes and fit into his chest. What is the issue exactly?

6. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Right. I think the designers’ logic here was that the Frenzy/Rumble mold converts in a way that’s already very similar to the G1 engine blocks, and if the idea is to modernize all the G1 characters so we can finally move on, what’s the point in straying from that?

• Like Like x 1
  7. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh yeah, that definitely makes the most sense. And without the Powermaster gimmick, Knok and Skar would be pretty low priorities. Part of what makes the decision a bit wierd to me is that there's an engine cube on his guts meant to emulate the Powermaster that appears (to my laymans eyes) the same size and shape as a Prime Master. In my mind, it would have made more sense to stick a removable block in there ala the engine in Jetfire's cockpit and then release Knok and Skar as Selects Prime Masters with remolded "faceplates" as an engine.

More than anything else tho, it just irritates me to see them with obvious tape-bits on them. They're not beloved characters, but G1 DoubleDealer is one of my favorite old school bots, and Knok and Skar are a big part of why (I contend he's the Power Master to make the best use of that gimmick)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Space Skeletor

Space Skeletor On umpteenth levels of outdated memes.

The 3rd Unit came in today, and I gotta say for a second and third double-dip on the man-and-bat cassette duo it certainly didn't feel repetitive.
    IMG_8936.jpg

Very distinctive color palette altogether, especially compared to the ones we got in Siege. It's exciting for me!
    IMG_8937.jpg
    IMG_8938.jpg

Killer variety for the bats, and Knok "knocks" it out of the park. Definitely makes me want Doubledealer.
    IMG_8939.jpg
    IMG_8940.jpg

They all look fantastic together, still. Certainly worth the wait.
    IMG_8941.jpg
    IMG_8942.jpg

Comparison with their "Spy-Tablet" counterparts.
    IMG_8943.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  9. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a pretty cool set. I would have preferred getting Buzzsaw instead of Wingthing though. Not just because Laserbeak is my favorite of all of the Siege Spies, but to break up the assortment bots in this set.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Got my set yesterday and they are pretty cool. I really like the colors of them all and they different head for Skar. I also wish we would have gotten Buzzsaw instead of wingthing. We only need him now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ordered this just because I want them for Doubledealer. They look good too!

• Like Like x 2
  12. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn’t turn down an Overkill and Slugfest if Hasbro decided to take a stab at it. But I think that ship has probably sailed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible TFW2005 Supporter

Don't see why not. We've got a few more waves of Earthrise, and another series after that. I have to think they will release another Soundwave, and with Soundwave, there will be cassettes.

But not until we get goddamn Buzzsaw.

14. Mister D

Got mine from EE through Amazon today. Liking the figures, feeling almost complete but man know that I have Frenzy, Ravage, Rumble, and Lazerbeak, I'm feeling the lack of Buzzsaw here. Overkill, Slugfest, Beatbox, and Squawktalk can follow later - we've got two more years of this line at least.

While I think the idea of the cassettes as armor is... silly, I do kinda like the look of Shockwave covered with his little buddies. Just wish I could get Ratbat and Wingthing to play along, but their pegs don't want to go in. Reminds me of prom night.

15. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I had this set opened for a couple of days and I'm just now realizing Knok and Skar have remolded heads. I was thinking they were straight up repaints. :lol 

Same. I'm not complaining we got Wingthing. It was a nice throw back to Actionmaster Soundwave but missing Buzzsaw is definitely bugging me. I hope they do another Selects set with him and Enemy, along with Garboil (Colbalt Sentries repaint of Laserbeak) and Howlback (Cobalt Sentries repaint of Ravage). I love to see Slugfest/Overkill and Squaktalk/Beastbox but I figure they would be mainline since they would most likely be new molds.

16. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The armor is kinda cool when you have it all on him. Tape guys doing the stupid and acting as ablative armor for Soundwave.

IMG_20200421_181926.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mister D

Did you have any trouble getting Wingthing in the arm socket? I can't get WT or Ratbat to fit any of them.

18. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah. Fixed it easy. Plugged in the other guys and twisted them a bit. Still a bit tight but they go in now!

• Like Like x 1
  19. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Got bored and changed it back.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Knock has remolded lower legs also

20. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    You got one different than mine?

IMG_20200524_203705.jpg IMG_20200524_203647.jpg