Transform Dream Wave TCW-10 Upgrade kit for GS Seacons

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Zircor, May 25, 2020.

1. Zircor

Zircor Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen any news about companies like PE or TDW planning upgrades for the Generations Selects Seacons? As they're quite close to Abominus I'd be surprised if not, and he definitely needs it (chicken thigh syndrome returns! :D  :D  ). Sorry if it is posted; ive searched but haven't been able to find anything.

Mod edit (6/26/20):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. wingsaber86

wingsaber86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Zircor

Zircor Well-Known Member

4. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    It's called TFC's Poseidon :p 

I know the Seacons are quite expensive, so I would guess that the original cost of the set plus the cost of the upgrades could make Poseidon a more attractive option. Or am I guessing wrong?

• Like Like x 6
  5. Zircor

Zircor Well-Known Member

I prefer buying 1st party whenever possible. But yes, the official ones are way more expensive than they really needed to be, but I'm already 5/6 of the way committed (my Tentakil shipment was delayed until the 4th). Truly the only full 3P set I've got was MMC's version of Predaking, because I wanted something more in scale with the rest of the CW/POTP combiners..... which I have almost all of barring some Takara versions (such as Megatronia or whatever she was called). Now to figure out what to do for a scaled Devastator :D 

I dunno, I guess I'm just loyal to Hastak and I'm hoping that the more of their stuff gets purchased means a better chance that more will be done in the future, ya know? I do quite like how TFC's version looks.

• Like Like x 5
  6. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Oh I see!

7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I have the TFC Seacons. I bought the HasTak ones, too, though. I think the TFC ones are a little big to go with Siege/Earthrise figures.

• Like Like x 2
  8. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

That scale is hard to mesh.

A lot of MP collectors say the 15-18 inch combiners are for "CHUG" (hate that term).... because they want combners to be as big as possible, even if it doesn't make sense for the individual bots. Combiners have to be the size of Metroplex, to them.

But I think that the TFC/MMC/Warbotron scale is the best for MP. Limb bots should be to scale with characters, like Prowl, Sideswipe, etc... with the torso/leader being to scale with people, like Prime.

A voyager-sized combiner limb is to scale with all of the MP cars and too big to scale with "CHUG" where comparable characters are deluxes. Meanwhile, you have the "MP" combiners where fn Swindle is a giant that is almost twice the size of Prowl and Sideswipe.

So that TFC scale is odd. MP collects always will say its too small (its not). "CHUG" collectors will say they're too big (slightly). They don't really see. To fit anywhere fully.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    Way more expensive? Eh... they are comparable in price to Takara's releases pre line-unification, so long as you were getting them from Hasbro Pulse, etc. If you were grabbing them from TFsource, then yeah, that hit the wallet a bit harder.

10. Zircor

Zircor Well-Known Member

Got 'em all from Pulse. $35/deluxe, plus however much Snaptrap was ($65?) == 6x$35 = $210+$65=$275. That's somewhere close to 2-3 times what I paid for all the other combiners, even the few Takara ones I got (Galvatronus, Computron, Superion). I don't remember paying nearly that much for any of the Takara ones - usually got 'em for around $150 - the Hasbro boxsets were usually much less ($70-80 in most cases).

I do have to admit I love the amazing paintjob on the Seacons, as well as the new accessories - its a shame none of the other combiners came with the weapons they should have had.

11. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

There's another set of claws on shapeway now. Three's a pic at Generations Selects Seacons in color and you can order it at King Poseidon Claws (PotP/Generations) by TrentTroop on Shapeways

It looks pretty good but I may wait to see what TDW and Perfect Effect do. He's my first CW combiner where I don't consider upgrades mandatory - he's pretty good as is. The feet are very nice, I just wish they were about half an inch taller. The hands are okay but I think all the stock HasTak hands have been a little too big, and he does need his spikes. And of course he could use some more size on his thighs - that's probably where an upgrade is needed the most. I think the chest is pretty good, and I'd want to make sure upgrades don't throw off the overall proportions.

I have Poseidon - he's awesome, but the size is wrong. He's clearly bigger than the CW Combiners, and too big for CHUG. And as was mentioned, too small for masterpiece.

20190316_185846.jpg

You can sort of fudge it if you play games with poses but the Hasbro Piranacon is a much better fit.

20190316_171451.jpg

Hasbro is also a lot cheaper - I don't know where some of these numbers are coming from. The TFC limbs retailed around $90 apiece, and Ironshell was $120. That's $570 for all six. The Hasbro limbs are $35 apiece, and Snaptrap is $60 at Hasbro Pulse - that's 5 * $35 + $60, or $235. That's more than the UW combiners, but not much more. If you want to do an apples to apples comparison, that's 4 * $35 + $60, or $200. The UW Combiners retailed anywhere from $160 to $185. That's a slight price increase, along with a ton more weapons and way better hands and feet. Not that bad a deal, and nowhere near double the price that some people are quoting.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  12. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    It's not so much the size of the combined mode- I can live with a 15" King Poseidon smashing Siege Sideswipe or whatever. It's when they're separated. I'll allow that a torso bot might be slightly taller than Prime or Megatron, but Ironshell is like double their height.

13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Exactly what I have always been thinking. We're now getting Aerialbots and Stunticon limbs who are leader class sized and torso bots larger than Optimus and the like. It's absurd.
    If individual bots don't matter to a certain group of MP collectors why don't they just do non transforming combiners?

14. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

At least legends scale gives us options. I have the DX9 Constructicons, and will get the MS Stunticons whenever they come out. I combine them sometimes, but they mostly stay in bot mode. i also have CW Menasor and KBB Devastator who almost never separate. But I have zero interest in a combiner where it's not possible. But then, I hated action masters when they came out too. Not sure if it's just me.

Even though it looks great and is really well built, TFC Poseidon just doesn't fit any roles for me. I don't do MP, its bots are too big for CHUG, and the combiner is too big for CW. There are a few combiners it works with - Feral Rex, TFC's new Abominus, maybe Ordin, and probably some others. I just don't happen to collect that size class.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    If DNA or anyone else reads these threads, I have one suggestion. I know a lot of people waiting for upgrades are waiting for the combined mode, but I have issues with Tentakil that I think could be fixed with new parts. Allow me to explain...

[​IMG]

In robot mode, Tentakil's arm were entirely blue on the original version. On the GS version his forearms are actually that pinkish-magenta color, with a little blue paint on the front, and pink covers on the back. Meanwhile...

[​IMG]

...in beast mode both figures have three pink/lavender tentacles on each side, so that's correct. But the G1 version had thick blue tentacle legs, coming from hips on a magenta pelvis with two small magenta tentacles poking behind him like tails. The GS version has the blue leg tentacles, but htey're kind of thin and connected to his backpack behind his robot shoulders. Instead of magenta tentacle tails his robot arms make large tri-colored tentacles in front of his body.

I think you could fix the proportions of the beast mode, clean up the backpack kibble a bit in robot mode, and improve the color accuracy of both the robot and beast modes if a 3rd party would release new solid blue bot arms that turn into the beast mode legs, and new magenta tentacle tails that would replace the current beast legs. It'd be an easy swap; you can easily pull the existing parts off without any tools, and as long as one side still has a little tab and the other a little notch it wouldn't affect the combined modes.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Would love to see this.
    Maybe something Matrix Workshop can do?

17. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tentakil definitely needs some parts to help with both arm and leg modes.

Poseidon hips/Turtler shoulders need new internal gears or a cod piece (no pun intended) to brace the floppiness. I looked at CW Scattershot gears, they are beefier with big teeth.

My Poseidon has been upgraded with Perfect Effect white hands (Superion) and gold/black feet (Volcanicus). PE/TDW could easily re-color their Volcaninus feet to match both KP and GN. I'd prefer TDW's Volcanicus feet because of the huge spikes/talons/claws. PE's Abominus set could work if you don't mind the magenta.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Since these have such a smaller availability than the CW sets I'd be surprised if PE or DNA did an upgrade.

19. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Why are we comparing Mp combiner figure sizes with generations combiner figures sizes again?

• Like Like x 3
  20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Because we can.

• Like Like x 2