Generations Selects DK-2 Guard (Diaclone Black Ironhide)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by allew, Apr 3, 2022.

1. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got in Generations Selects DK-2 Guard, the homage to Diaclone Black Ironhide today. I have the Amazon exclusive Earthrise Prowl & Ironhide set from which this new figure is repainted from but I never opened it, so this is my first time handling this mold. Very similar transformation to Siege Ironhide with the additional shield/roof component. Here he is compared with the earlier Siege Ironhide as well as my custom from the old Universe 2.0 mold (Ratchet). I used to beg the tf collector's club to make this version of Ironhide since he can also be an homage to Shattered Glass Ironhide as well as Live Action Movie Ironhide but now Generations Selects comes through!

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  2. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    Unboxing. Sargent Detour is pleased!
    IMG_4752.jpg

Next to Studio Series Ironhide
    IMG_4759.jpg

Hasta La Vista "Bay"... Bee. :p :confused2 
    IMG_4755.jpg

Human Alliance Ironhide! :eek: 
    IMG_4760.jpg

---
    Edit, alt mode!
    IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  3. kaijubot-uk

kaijubot-uk Keep Running

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I have 2 complaints about this figure: the name, and the outer leg panels don't like to tab in. Other than that, he looks fantastic and I think he's great.

• Like Like x 2
  4. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I get that DK-2 Guard is a reference to his Diaclone/Diakron number but to me he is "Vanguard"

• Like Like x 4
  5. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20220404_201635.jpg
    New Nonnef wheels and feets

• Like Like x 4
  6. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    How hard was it to swap out the wheels and feet?

• Like Like x 1
  7. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They’re just pegs, nothing to it

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, super easy. The wheels pop off from the inside just by pushing them out (you can also squeeze the two halves of the peg together from the inside of the legs/back with tweezers and push them out). The feet also just pop off and swap with the replacement of your choice.

• Like Like x 2
  9. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    Shattered Glass Ironhide!

D0890A17-8E2A-4174-BE39-7DBD04224A30.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  10. kaijubot-uk

kaijubot-uk Keep Running

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I hear it's a popular choice.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah bro. He's Black Ironhide!

• Like Like x 2
  12. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    Universe Air Raid's Ultimate Energon Weapon Energy Spear makes DK-2 Guard, an actual guard!

IMG_5007.jpg

IMG_5006.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_5008.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Lord Bacon

Lord Bacon BACON DUKE

I found this Transformer lacking. First off, no hammer. Lame. Second, the red piece that flips the windshield up and down ruins the look. It should be black.

The most grevious, insulting, thing would be the box says it comes with two accessories. This is not true. A hammer was expected, but instead we are counting the shield as an accessory. This is quite the trick. Since the shield is partsforming kibble that forms the van room, or attaches to the back of the robot, or can be held as a shield...it's really .25 accessory. So we got 1.25 accessories instead of a hammer. Good thing it was 40 percent off.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    At least you got yours. I ordered mine via on the same sale, and has yet to even ship. I called up customer support and they said that because of the backlog created by the sale, it might ship in the next week and a half.

15. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me he's Night Stealth ironhide.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got DK-2 as part of the Pulse sale, I actually really like him! I think after reading people's thoughts on ER Ironhide/Ratchet, I wasn't expecting a whole lot, I just really liked the deco. But once I started messing with Armorhide, I changed my mind; he's a big, beefy bot, & he plays that role well! I feel this mold works really well with Vanguard, as opposed to Ironhide/Ratchet, on account of not having to deal with the expectations of matching established characters. Protect Black's black deco also goes a long way I feel in covering up some of the complaints people had with his mold mates (the exposed shoulders, the rocket feet). A few nitpicks though: that red hood joint is unfortunate, not certain if there's a way to paint that or if 3rd party can do anything. I also wish the gold stripe on the side was more prominent, I just love that detailing.

(See that Hasbro? You could have given this dude a way cooler name than Guard. Mildly irritating, maybe that's just me though. Hope they learned their lesson for DK-2...)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No ones the boss of you.....

Name him what you wish. He's your figure.

18. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Prelude: Remember that old G1 Ironhide toy from way back in the day? Well, that particular toy was really just a repaint of a toy from even further back in the day, namely the 1982 Diaclone Car Robot No. 2 Onebox Cherry Vanette, which was black instead of red. For a short time in 1983 the Diaclone figures were sold in the US under the name “Diakrone”, which is what the designation of this figure, DK-2, refers to. So, we got black Ironhide from before he was Ironhide, now sporting the body of Earthrise Ironhide and being sold as part of the Generations Selects line. Got it? Good, then let’s say go!

Robot Mode: One of my favorite molds from the War for Cybertron Trilogy was Siege Ironhide, so much so that I got both the Ratchet and Crosshairs repaint of it. Then the mold was retooled for Earthrise in order to give Ironhide his familiar Earth van mode and that one I happily skipped, mostly because of that huge extra part he has to carry around. But now here is DK-2, who shares that retooled mold, so let’s take it from the top.

DK-2 is a mostly black repaint of Ironhide with a red face and red thighs. The robot as such hasn’t changed that much from its Siege incarnation. The chest is a bit different, but that’s pretty much it. Articulation is the same, naturally, still quite good with no room for complaint. The main difference is, as mentioned above, that huge shield he carries, either on his back or on his arm, which forms the roof of his van mode. Now that shield can either be used as just that, a shield, as some kind of bladed weapon (the windows on one end for a point), or possibly even as a gun (the exhaust/gun ports at the other hand). When not used, DK-2 can carry it on his back either straight or at an angle (the latter looking better in my opinion).

Thankfully that huge thing is not DK-2’s only weapon, he also comes with a silver gun that closely resembles the weapon carried by the original G1 Ironhide toy. Side note: since DK-2’s black paintjob is also slightly evocative of Movie Ironhide, you can put the cannons of Prime Sergeant Kup on his arms for a near-perfect GeeWunn-ification of that Autobot.

Bottom line for the robot mode: Ironhide is back in black and looking really good, though I could have done without that huge black shield he needs for his vehicle mode. Apart from that, very nice.

Alternate Mode: I pity the fool who does not realize that DK-2’s vehicle mode resembles a rather famous vehicle from a 1980s action series, namely the A-Team van. It’s not the same model, of course, but the black paint with the stripes on the side certainly does call the vehicle driven by Mr. T to mind. And speaking of paint, can anyone explain to me why they forgot to paint that red hinge piece at the front? In robot mode it’s just one more red detail, but on an otherwise all-black van, it really stands out and not in a good way.

Leaving that aside, the van looks pretty good and while the large roof piece is a bit of a bother in robot mode, it nicely integrates into the vehicle mode here. DK-2’s gun can either be stored inside the roof or mounted on top for extra firepower. The roof piece’s rockets are now at the back of the van, giving the impression of a turbo booster. Nicely done. Then, though, there are the robot feet, which form the back of the van. Now they were in the exact same place for the Siege version, but that was a science-fiction style vehicle, not something that is supposed to look like an Earth van. On the plus side you can insert blast effects here, but otherwise: it just looks weird and really ruins the illusion of an Earth vehicle.

Bottom line: a nice vehicle mode in general, but only as long as you don’t look at it from the back. And they really should have painted that red hinge piece black.

Remarks: See above for the history of the black Ironhide toy aka DK-2, but what exactly is DK-2 Guard supposed to be in Transformers canon? Well, no idea. He could be Shattered Glass Ironhide, as he somewhat resembles Ironhide as he appeared in IDW’s Shattered Glass series. He could also be seen as a kind of unofficial crossover with the A-Team, as his vehicle mode somewhat resembles the famous van from that series. Neither of which is official, though, so make up your own mind as to where DK-2 Guard fits into canon.

Owning Siege Ironhide, I really felt no need to get the Earthrise version, but I’m kind of glad I got DK-2 Guard. Not just for the Diaclone vibe, but also because he just looks good in black. He’s not perfect, of course, the large shield in robot mode and the feet in vehicle mode are definite flaws, but overall he is still a nice figure and well worth getting. So bottom line: not a must-have, but recommended to Diaclone fans and fans of Movie Ironhide.

Rating: B-

Source: Transformers-Universe.com

• Like Like x 3
  20. Scourge2112

Scourge2112 Nobody's Hero

I got Selects DK-2 Guard during the crazy Pulse Power Days sale for $15, after being interested in the Earthrise Ironhide & Prowl 2 pack that ended up impractical to obtain. Glad I got the mold for this price because I found unexpected things to like & dislike.

Despite it's curvy outline, the van mode's black chassis & gold/red/yellow stripe make it look mean. Rolls well & his gun can store inside or be pegged on top.
    IMG_1152.JPG
    Alt mode comparison with Legacy Bulkhead, Kingdom Soundwave, Earthrise Optimus, & my other WFC Diaclone Car Robots: Legacy Buzzworthy Silverstreak & Selects Deep Cover, Tigertrack & Exhaust.
    IMG_1154.JPG
    Since Siege Ratchet's instructions apparently feature a medical sled mode like the G1/Diaclone figure, I came up with a mobile battle carrier mode for this version of the mold. Features driver's space in front, an armored canopy with built-in missile tubes, & space for passengers, gunners or mini vehicles in the back with side covers & weapon mounting points. The back (robot legs) can be split for more space or vehicle deployment, or be left together so the whole thing can roll as in van mode.
    IMG_1160.JPG
    A better view of the interior. The canopy(roof) fits in Guard's rotated fist.
    IMG_1156.JPG
    As predicted, it works excellently with Titan Masters, but I also tried the Micromaster Bottropolis missile squad & some Lego minifigures, as pictured in the end gallery of this review.
    IMG_1222.JPG
    PotP Micronus & TR Wg Teslor in front.
    IMG_1224.JPG
    TR Titan Masters Brawn, Shuffler & Furos are ready for battle, the latter wishing he could reach the gun.
    IMG_1225.JPG
    TM Brawn's vehicle fits perfectly in the back, even when it's fully enclosed.
    IMG_1331.JPG
    Better views:
    IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG
    The transformation is greatly inconvenienced by the roof piece. First instinct when going from van to bot is to just take it off, but first the roof must be slightly pulled up, then it's frontmost windows slightly pulled out, then the whole thing can be removed. All the windows must be lined up before it can be pegged back in going from bot to van too. A shame because the rest of the transformation is simple & satisfying.

Robot also looks mean with red robot parts & face.
    IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG
    His shield with gun can store on the hole on his back straight down or at an angle.
    IMG_1185.JPG
    Poseability & joint peg/hole tolerances are standard, with lots of universal hinge-swivels, a limited ball jointed neck & 360 degree wrist swivel.
    IMG_1215.JPG
    The red panel his head is on can be tilted down, faking extra neck tilt.
    IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG
    Shield looks decent shoulder-mounted...
    IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG
    ...and arm mounted.
    IMG_1194.JPG
    The peg can be pushed forward to reveal cannon barrels. As cool as these options should be, the shield's folded up windows & the points on the front corners of the launcher bump into the shoulders & arms often when posing, while his chest protrudes enough to limit inward arm swivel in front of it.
    IMG_1195.JPG
    Robot comparison with previously mentioned.
    IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG
    My thoughts on the shield accessory are that I find this figure's shield appropriate for a G1 Ironhide without battle platform; it's necessity for the van mode echoes both the G1/Diaclone design reimagined, & a good many Beast Wars beast modes. Unfortunately, I find the transformation & posing with said shield disappointing. I do really like my Titan Master battle carrier but I feel DK-2 Guard by himself is rather limited in terms of posing, despite how good he looks. OK, but somehow wanting imo.
    IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1225.JPG IMG_1331.JPG IMG_1332.JPG IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1192.JPG IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1215.JPG IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1216.JPG IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1194.JPG IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1161.JPG IMG_1163.JPG IMG_1173.JPG IMG_1170.JPG IMG_1171.JPG IMG_1172.JPG

• Like Like x 3