Generations Select Abominus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by analogue, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    True, but it still wasn't designed as Starscream, meaning he wasn't the primary used. It was designed as an arielbot with an opportunistic remold as Starscream, so my point is accurate and still stands.

2. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait, I thought the tank had an alternate head? I can’t remember now...

And most of them had multiple alternate heads to go along with the alternate tooling. So each alternate tooling had two heads. (Such as Off-Road and Ironhide, First Aid and Ratchet, Trailbreaker and Hoist). The Liokaiser heads were all new, as were several of the FP ones..

• Like Like x 2
  3. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Wasn't it Irontread and it never went to production?

That isn't who these are for.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    Again, there was no remoulding involved; as I said, the head was always part of the figure’s tooling.

Look, whatever. My original point was that this was a mould that had a Starscream head designed into the tooling from the outset, and I was just remarking that it was weird we never actually got the figure in regular Starscream colours.

You then went all Mr. Pedantic on me, for what reason I’m not sure, and started throwing around words like ‘remould’, which Starscream is clearly not.

This is a pretty pointless argument anyway, completely irrelevant to the subject at hand (Abominus), and it’s doing neither of us any favours, so I’ll bow out there.

5. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who are they for?

6. Fenrys

News Credits:
    You said the mold was designed as Starscream, really it was designed as an arielbot with an alternate Starscream head (hence why the figure doesn't look like Starscreams design), which means it wasn't designed as Starscream, just that he was a convenient reuse. Please don't be so childish as to resort to name calling, I didn't sling any insults your way, you should extend the same courtesy. Im getting really sick of the people on these boards that can’t have their perspectives challenged without resorting to insults.

7. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    It's all semantics. The figure was designed primarily as the Aerialbot, but also included a Starscream head from its inception as a secondary use. No, it's not a remold but that's not what Fenrys really meant. He just means the figure has no specific Starscream design cues although it was probably never meant to as it's obviously simple repaint and new head. That's probably all he meant.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Well said

• Like Like x 2
  9. B3k

B3k Well-Known Member

I think iron tread was the rook that was meant to come with Computron before TT made Groove. Not sure we ever found out if that has a new head.

• Like Like x 1
  10. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Fans of screen accurate figures who passed over CW for UW. Like, the entire Japanese market that fueled UW and the screen accurate decos Takara was known for before the brand unification.

PotP was the beginning of that, so Abominus and Volcanicus missed the boat. Going back now to do it with a few extra touches would fit with those collections.

• Like Like x 2
  11. djtfmd

djtfmd Well-Known Member

too bad they won't come in nice Unite Warriors style color boxes though (since these are pretty much UW figures in spirit anyways) - instead they'll probably come in the crappy brown boxes that all the Selects figures have been shipping in instead (wish this trend would die actually, there's no reason why they can't come in nice color boxes like everything else).

although it'll be nice to have God Neptune, Volcanicus, Abominus, future combiners/etc. all ship in complete boxsets at least, instead of having the components individually boxed like Piranacon/King Poseidon was (which really should've had a boxset option too!)... :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 3
  12. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    A crappy brown box would have been much better for Siege Nemesis Prime.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Scott_XIII

News Credits:
    Wow I was not aware of that. So those guys didn't buy Abominus after the brand unification/end of UW?

So not folks with more money than sense then?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  14. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not the first time I’ve heard someone make a crack like this. I’ve had it directed at me a few times. I’ll just say this: I don’t buy entire lines or spend any money on 3P figures, that saves a lot of coin right there. I buy figures of the characters I like, which is a small group, and that’s it. I set a budget and I stick to it.

As the saying goes: you don’t have to be rich, just smart.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Scott_XIII

News Credits:
    Oh I wasn't trying to be difficult I just find it amusing when people try to tell me what type of collector I am.
    My original point was regarding the price jump on these boxsets vs new content.
    ... Also I'm very smart when it comes to money. The only contradiction to this being I collect transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'll agree there. I've had plenty of people tell me how my collecting habits are wrong. To each their own I say. As for the price jump, for me, it doesn't really impact me that much. I'd love to pay less, but then again, this is really my only discretionary spending. I sometimes go fairly long stretches in-between buying. I only picked up one figure from earthrise for example. So it's fairly easy to justify additional costs.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Scott_XIII

News Credits:
    I'm getting it, it's just evey fibre of my savvy spending being is telling me its overpriced for what it is.

• Like Like x 2
  18. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    I did, as I was buying both offerings from both companies. But was sad about the lack of a TakaraTomy decoed version of Abominus. I didn't think TakaraTomy would go back and do him. But I am super happy they did. I love this set.

Edit: to be clear, I only bought Hasbro's PotP figures, since TakaraTomy was just releasing the same thing.

• Like Like x 3
  19. mondo

mondo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the idea of this set

20. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    There are people who liked the screen accurate figures more than the retail toy based deco Hasbro went with. For them, this is an opportunity to upgrade...or flat out get it for the first time.

Not sure what the snark is for.