Generations Pitch: Double Spies

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JediFlaherty, Jan 27, 2018.

1. JediFlaherty

JediFlaherty Well-Known Member

In Combiner Wars, everybody was a Combiner.
    In Titans Return, everybody was a Headmaster.

What if everybody was a Double Spy like Punch/Counterpunch? One alternate mode with two robot modes — one Autobot, one Decepticon.

Rubsigns would reveal whether each figure was an Autobot disguised as a Decepticon or a Decepticon disguised as an Autobot. They’d all be available in both flavors, so you wouldn’t truly know who you got until you opened the package and revealed their shield.

• Like Like x 8
  2. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Interesting concept from a toy perspective, but that might make things ridiculously confusing if they decide to put that into a story.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JediFlaherty

JediFlaherty Well-Known Member

I was so pleased with my own cleverness that I didn’t realize that the idea wasn’t fully-baked until after I clicked Post.

There’s a lot wrong with this idea in execution.

First and foremost, it wouldn’t work as a Generations line because existing characters are as identified by their alt modes as they are their robot modes. You’d need two alt modes and two robot modes to make it work for Generations.

I think there’s something there in the play pattern — it’d be fun for the kids line — but it doesn’t work for Generations.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Draco Dracul

Draco Dracul Well-Known Member

Seems more like something to do for a size class gimmick. Probably at Voyager class. Also I would say that going so specific leaves out one of the classic faction changers, Doubledealer.

Edit: I agree that this would probably be better for a tie in line as it gives an extra buying incentive for kids if the Double Spy figures a hidden panel that shows their true alligence (Doubledealer has a special decal of his own face)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I always thought it would have been cool to have several characters with very 'shades of grey' tech specs. Personalities that could be more noble than most Decepticons but shadier than the Autobots are normally. Then have the rubsigns randomized. All characters would have Autobot AND Decepticon versions but you wouldnt know which one until it was out of the package.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hell NO, no more loot boxes... I want to know what I'm buying. I don't want to spend $15 a pop and end up with 10 of the same damn figure and 9 of the 10 available to never find that last one like Apu (Simpsons Lego Mini Figures Grab bags)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Thats not what he means. He wants figures like Punch/Counterpunch that have two different robot modes, one for each faction. But only one of them is that character real form, the consumer doesn’t know his true indentity until they locate his rubsign.

So say you bought a Jazz with Runamuck “Spy Mode”, you don’t actually know if it’s Jazz disguised as Runamuck or Runamuck disguised as Jazz until you open it up and see the rubsign. It’s actually really freaking clever.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I don't see the gimmick working for a full line. But If we had a generations line that shifted gimmicks every wave, I could see the Doublespies working for a wave.

Reverse Convoy as the leader class.
    Doubledealer and Animated Shockwave as the 2 Voyagers
    Punch, Armada Sideways, Cybertron Sideways(Noizemaze), and Dominus Ambus as the deluxes.
    Minispy legends.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Not sure how this could be implemented into a full line but I would be absolutely thrilled with a Voyager Shockwave that had a disguise gimmick and CHUG styling.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  10. LoranBasaraEvin

LoranBasaraEvin Gunpla Grump

So basically, Reveal the Shield done right? I'd be down with that.

11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I'v always felt this could work with an expansion on the Pretender concept.

What if we got new characters with shells resembling the likes of Optimus, Megatron and Starscream for the purposes of infiltration and in person impersonation?

If people don't like the Pretender concept, they could use as the shells as the characters they're impersonating.

Perhaps Straxus with a Megatron shell or Optimus Prime or Nemesis Prime with a Motormaster shell.

Otherwise try something along the lines of what Power of the Prime are doing with Optimus and Rodimus.

Even release new deluxes that are compatible with their trailers or those of Titans Return Ultra Magnus and Powermaster Prime.

12. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    then wouldn't it just be a bunch of autobots disguised as decepticons fighting a bunch of decepticons disguised as autobots? then everybody's just fighting for the wrong side...

• Like Like x 1
  13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    ugh no i wish Has/tak would stop forcing characters to be things they were never meant to be. The final straw for me was making the Dinobots a combiner team.

• Like Like x 1
  14. King Glurch

King Glurch Guess that makes it “Queen Glurch” now. Hmm.

YouTube:
    YES.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think I'd want randomized factions on any toys over $5, but could see this working at an "impulse buy" level toy--like how the old Battle Beasts had randomized factions or the mini-spy pack-in toys.

Or they could have double-spy "clones," little master figures that have the face of one character but the body of another (Optimus Prime's face, but the titan master turns into Megatron).

16. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's a cool idea, but I know I'd be double dipping for each character. That would get expensive real fast.
    Legend size maybe, but not a deluxe.

17. King Glurch

King Glurch Guess that makes it “Queen Glurch” now. Hmm.

YouTube:
    Reverse Convoy...?

• Like Like x 1
  18. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Darn it. Don't give Hasbro any ideas.

They'll make a bunch of G1 characters that we want, but never askd for as double spies, into double spies. And the extra bot mode that we never asked for will compromise both of the other modes that we did want. And the real kicker is that after ruining a bunch of G1 updates that we never asked for as double spies, they won't even release Punch/Counter-Punch. They'll save him for the next line with a totally different gimmick that he didn't originally have.

• Like Like x 1