Minor/Repaint: Generations Nightbeat - Titanised!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Housewife2000, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Housewife2000

Housewife2000 Fandom, combine!

I love Raymond Chandler and I love Transformers, so the mechanoid Marlowe Nightbeat has been a favourite of mine since he first appeared mulling over a corpse back in Marvel UK 230.

For my money, the Generations Bumblebee repaint works fairly well as a modern update, except on three key points: he's not a headmaster, his chest is blue and his guns are rubbish. So, like several other people on here (although with not nearly as much skill), I've had a go at tackling these issues:

First up, the official Titan Master Nightbeat head might match the shape and colours of the original toy, but the character model is wrong for his comic book iterations (where, for reasons unknown, Nightbeat has Siren's head and vice versa - and doubly weirdly, Titan Master Nightbeat has a shouting expression far more suitable for Siren...) So I repainted Loudmouth's head and cut off the connector port from his odd little hover car to use on the body. I had to shave a small amount of blue plastic off either side of the deluxe figure's collar to make the red connector port fit, but now it's wedged in securely and holds his head on.

For the chest, I ordered up GlauGworks's Shapeways piece and painted it up with Citadel acrylics. The colour match isn't perfect, but close enough for me, and the design is really good and much more G1.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

For his weapons, I chopped the handles off his original, ugly, "stinger blasters" and drilled a 3mm hole in the top of each, fitting a Lego magnifying glass into one, and a spare blaster from Legends Bluestreak into the other. The magnifying glass stores between his knees in alt mode and actually holds really well - you have to separate his legs to remove it (see further down for a picture). The gun pegs onto the side, a lot less obtrusively than the original weapons.

[​IMG]

The one problem with Titanising Nightbeat, is that there is nowhere obvious place for the Titan Master / Muzzle to go in car mode. You can wedge him in the front...

[​IMG]

Or he can kind of fit under hood, and at certain angles, it sort of holds ok, but will shake out. You can also see the magnifying glass in place between his legs below:

[​IMG]

Another option is to borrow Chromedome's "ride on" gun, which more or less matches the red on my Nightbeat, whilst offering somewhere for Muzzle to sit. The downside is it makes for the world's goofiest sidecar...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A couple more pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Nice. Always liked that mold for Nightbeat over Bumblebee. He looks good. Like him and Chromedome could star in a buddy cop show.

3. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Are you going to repaint Muzzle?

[​IMG]

4. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    MicroCHIPS?

Perhaps they could ride Groove?

• Like Like x 1
  5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fabulous. Great job.

6. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    This is so amazing! The magnifying glass really is the cherry on top. Excellent work!

7. ablack23

ablack23 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Where did you get the magnifying glass from for him, I did a similar custom and I'd love to have one of those

8. Housewife2000

Thanks everyone!

I don't have as much attachment to Muzzle as a character, so I don't mind him changing colours. (Plus, to paint over red with yellow is more work than I really have the skills for...)

I got mine from the Detective minifig, although it may well be available in other sets.

9. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    Really, really nice. I've been thinking of doing this mod myself and I think your work has convinced me. What colour of paint did you use for the blue and yellow?

10. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    To paint over the red, I recommend light sanding, then a watered-down, thin layer of white (acrylic) paint (like Citadel paints). Once dry, you can paint over with slightly thinned layers of yellow. Each layer should eventually make it look great.

11. Hooper_X

Hooper_X pro wrestling, anti fascism

A Modest Proposal for fixing Muzzle:

Swap the faceplate off onto a TR Nightbeat or Clobber. It's probably less time-consuming than attempting to paint yellow over red, and you don't have to worry about paint scraping off. The faceplates screw right off and back onto other guys, I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would second the "getting TR Nightbeat and swap it" idea. Then you can repaint it into a toy-accurate Siren, and you have a nice little vehicle for Nightbeat's titan master to ride around in! Nightbeat is pretty abundant as well :D 

13. Sidewings

Sidewings Victim Of Boredom

I love that magnifying glass.

14. captainnedloh

captainnedloh Nugget

News Credits:
    That made me laugh way too hard. I can see it now....

• Like Like x 1
  15. ablack23

Ebay:
    Here's mine and as you can see from the pictures I didn't make too many mods.

I used Tamiya flat yellow on the legs and to touch up the dull yellow on the car.

For the headmaster I used the same yellow, testors light blue and Tamiya clear orange.

To make the visor I used an apoxy and just sculpted it then used testors metallic blue.

Finally I used the chest and torso from the Beelzeboss kit

Attached Files:

16. Deductor

Deductor Banned

I can appreciate the use of loudmouth for Nightbeat. Excellent work.

17. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Ha! MicroCHiPs.....

• Like Like x 1
  18. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    How about painting the windshield/windows in a solid color? so that way you dont see the titanmaster sitting on the dashboard in alt mode?

19. ablack23

Ebay:
    Get the sticker set from reprolabels a d your problem is solved

20. Housewife2000

Thanks for the paint tips, and Muzzle suggestions. I'm tempted by the Titan Master Nightbeat swap, but in all honesty, this red Muzzle is growing on me. He might not be G1 accurate, but with the additional red highlights picked out on Nightbeat himself, the little guy's colours kinda compliment his partner. Maybe if I ever attempt a Siren custom I'll do the swap.

I have a really old set of citadel paints from the 90s, so I don't know that these exact colours are available anymore, but the top of the chest and face were Sunburst Yellow, and the helmet and torso were made from mixing Enchanted Blue, Space Wolf Grey and a dab of the yellow. The various lights were picked out with Red Gore. I just used a sharpie on Muzzle's arms and the the gun to make them black.

Great work! I like the look of the Beelzeboss kit. If it had come with a headmaster feature, I'd have jumped at it myself (and your mods neatly solve that!)

That's a nice idea, but personally, I'll take clear windows over painted ones any day of the week. I just prefer the look. For now, Muzzle's going to ride in the gap under the hood, (when he's not walking the mean city streets with Stylor, leaning on informants and dodging bullets...)