Generations Metroplex

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Jun 3, 2013.

1. soundwave69

soundwave69 Well-Known Member

Anybody have pics next to G1 Metro for scale?

2. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just took dozens of pics with him. I've had more fun with him on day 1 than I've had with some of my girlfriends. :p 

4. soundwave69

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This picture is dedicated to my niece and her duck face pictures

Attached Files:

6. Rifleman

Rifleman Dinobot

:lol  :lol  :lol 

7. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

is that like her facebook display photos that kids do these days lol

8. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

Got my chance to play with my Metroplex (regular ver.) for a couple days, and got to say it is a very impressive piece, but with quite some room for improvements. If I were a kid with a decent TF collection, I'll be having so much fun with this as there are loads of peg holes where you can slap guns and turrets all over this thing. Even the few big guns it came with has tons of configurations you can discover. You can arm Metroplex to the teeth! And all the gimmicks and opening compartments are very fun. Time to bust out some Legends and Scout class figures if you have any. However, there are some issues I encountered and I'll go over below:

The loose legs - The knee ratchets are particularly loose, so my curiousity got me opening up the legs and find out the issue. Turned out all the ratchet gears Metroplex uses are universal on all joints. They are pretty robust plastic gear, top half is orange and lower half is a dark brown, pushed by a roughly half inch diameter spring. Its very sturdy and thick. However, the culprit on weakening all ratchets is that they put grease on all of them (probably to prolong the gear plastic from wearing), but greatly reduces the friction and make the ratchets slips much easier. So I ended up washing off all the grease with soap on the leg joints, and added a bit of cardboard spacer underneath the spring to help it push harder. This strengthened the knee joints a good 20-30%, so my knees no longer flops down when I hold up Metroplex sideways...until I give it a good shake. But for those that transforms and plays Metroplex a lot, removing the grease may not be recommended as it can speed up the joint wear. So use your own discretion.

Funky hip lock - One of my Metroplex's hip joint is slanted with a 10 degree sideways, making the robot mode leaning to one side and not standing completely straight (saw this too on one or two youtube reviews). While the hip has a funky design that allow the ratchet joint to sit either perfectly straight, or at a 10 degree 'A stance', it should be locked in either of those position on both legs after the leg is closed up with screws, which allows room for faulty assembly on the hip ratchet gears on mine with one leg at that 10 degree notch. But that lock is not that secure in design. After I aligned everything and put everything back together, the slant happened again on the other leg after some playtime, so need to open them up again and fix it, until I insert some plastic bits into the gap around the ratchet gears to prevent any movement from that locking mechanism. Then it stay put and the legs stayed straight on the hip for good. Got my finger tips all sore after all the reopening the legs over & over as I need to clamp them pretty hard while tighting the screws, due to the strings' tension.

Loose visor - mine's red visor doesn't stay up, unless I give it a hard 90 degree upward push until it clicks (while need to lift the helmet a bit) and stay on the top of the inner head. But this causes the helmet to sit not perfectly like how it was when visor was down (but close enough). Saw some others on youtube with the visor stay up with just a slight push with the finger. Not like mine that needs to pushed all the way though. This got me to have second thoughts spray painting the face silver (looks awesome), cause now the visor rubs the side of the face hard enough to rub paint off, but its the only way for mine to work. So maybe no awesome silver face now...

Bottom feet flaps - beware of these buggers. It went untabbed a couple times without me knowing when I try to stand the robot mode on the floor, with those black flaps hanging down bending the wrong way. Its not that regularly do you handle a 2 feet tall robot toy, so there are times I didn't pay attention to the hanging flaps under the feet and try to stand him down. The result is stressing those flap hinges (but not broken fortunately). Not a great feeling when you just had the thing a couple hours. Good that they use bendable plastic for the flaps, so they didn't snap right off and break. Look out for those.

Stickers - I don't mind having a big sheets of stickers to put on, but I wish they were better looking and better cut. Some shapes don't sit right with the area they need to go on. And some of the graphics/color don't look right (too cartoony or too old school). So I only put a small selection on. But at least this is just personal preference on the looks, but they need to be cut more accurate for those that like them.

Bottomline, Metroplex is a steal for slightly over $100. It is designed with fun in mind, and is a very cool looking TF. But I felt that they cut some corners on using the same ratchet gears for the whole toy. They are definitely strong enough for arms and shoulders, but not so much for the hips, thighs and knees. Those need ratchets with deeper teeth...cause they don't feel super strong even after strengthening somewhat and took out all the grease. The hollow nature of the toy also make the toy feel a bit flimsy, like bendy plastic shells. The structure & joints don't feel as solid as my Takara Unicron, with some sagging on leg parts or grey left shoulder connection. Wish the visor/helmet work a bit better too (see a lot of video reviews has the helmet sitting too high or not locked properly, and instructions doesn't tell you anything about it). But with all the needed fixing aside, its still a very fun toy and a one of a kind, being something so big and still looks very detailed and modern (vs. Fort Max's dated look). I would give it a 8.5/10. (A 9.5/10 if it didn't come with faulty joints and weak leg ratchet design).

P.S. Make sure you grab the figure on the right spots, as the buckling weak legs can sometime collapse unexpectedly and pinches your hands or fingers. Watch out.

9. soundwave69

Metro Selfie! :lolol 

10. darkangel

darkangel Well-Known Member

hi.. i do not know if anyone has asked this or if it was already answered.. but, regarding the hasbro version of metroplex, is there a way to store it in box without detaching the arm? if not, how easy is it to detach the arm so that you can still put it inside the box?

any insight would be very much appreciated..

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Started my "improvements" on Metroplex this weekend.

[​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

Was trying for the "somewhat dirty" look and wanting to add definition to the face. The only real problem with it is it makes the entire rest of him look plain and dull. I'm kicking around how much painting he's gonna get, and how much lining like the face just got. So many ways you can go with all those details.

12. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. Deus Maximus

Deus Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope and nope. With the standard retail version, once he's out of the box, he doesn't go back in, and you can't detach the arm, either.

14. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I put mine in the box. You need to take off the side guns and turn the legs to the right and left of the box as how it was originally boxed when you opened it. If you have any more questions instant message me.

15. shiin

shiin Well-Known Member

Could you make a picture and post it? Judging from the pictures on this site I can hardly believe how this will fit in the box without tearing it.

16. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Show us

17. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I will get a picture in a little bit as i am on my kindle right now. I got it to work though and i will show you guys how i did it.

18. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

"Metroplex CRUSH Rodimus!"

19. darkangel

darkangel Well-Known Member

thank you very much.. the pic will definitely help..

20. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    So after getting some of the stickers applied I realized mine was broken in a few spots. The shipping box was a little banged up, and had almost no packing material, so the figure bod had some dings. I should have inspected it better. Otherwise, this guy is amazing.

Ah well, amazon will have me a new one out in two days. No biggie. It'll allow me some time to make space for him.

[​IMG]