Generations Leader Jetfire

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by TCracker, Jul 18, 2014.

1. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Got mine yesterday late evening and posted some pics online and promptly shared by my buddy DaimChoc.

This highly anticipated figure is basically a mixed bag. On one hand it is undoubtedly the most modern and aesthetically pleasing Generations toy to date, but on the other hand, this figured is marred with some inconsistecies in terms of finishing and quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing that you will immediately notice is the packaging is VERY light for a leader class toy. It does not have that, how shall I say, 'heft' to it. I was surprised when I picked up the carton and the lightness of the content was initially worrying. More on this later.

Apart from the initial complaint of the lightness, there is also the hollowness that you have to put up with. It may be off putting to some as the hollow parts will definitely show especially on thigh area ans also the arms (minus the super parts). However there are ratchet joints that helped in the stability and posing is very easy with these joints. There are no ball joints tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another thing you will have to put up with is the quality of the plastic used. Compared it with, say, Generations Springer, you will notice the plastic used here is slightly softer and lighter. That resulted in some scary tolerance moments when transforming. Notice the picture below, I exerted some unnecessary force and you can see a crack between the pins. Take your time, slowly transform it.

[​IMG]

And yesss...light piping rocks!
    [​IMG]

The transformation is the basic fold up and hands and legs and flip down the push the chest affair. Unlike the original Classics/Henkei Jetfire or the dreaded Movie leader Jetfire, you don't really see the bot mode hanging beneath the plane mode. It was implemented nicely with minimal robot kibble in the jet mode. There are no wrist swivel, the helmet detaches quite easily and everything tabs and locks into place nicely.The gun comes with a projectile, standard affair here. And somethig worthy of mention, he has heel spurs that helped with the balance, and he is strangely not back heavy with all the super parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The super parts..hmm..all I can say is - tacky. It is nice but the red chrome kinda kills the aesthetics because it looked forced. If they have opted for a more regular matte red, it might look acceptable but the chrome stands out like a sore thumb and does not really contribute to the overall super mode except just making it look like it is trying to be a Henkei but not pulling it off very well. The base figure without the super parts looked good IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall what do I think?
    First, Jetfire is definitely overdue for a makeover and making him a leader class was great. The design and overall look is ace in my books and Hasbro/TT captured the essence of Jetfire very well in toy form.

The inclusion of the super parts is basically given viewing the origins of Jetfire but the execution of the color palette leaves alot to be desired.

And speaking of execution, the plastic used was definitely a level lower compared to other Generations toy, especially the likes of Springer and Sandstorm.

And, many asked, does he look good with MP10? My answer? No. Scalewise, at least.
    [​IMG]

And with the few Classics/Generations figure I have left. Methinks when my iGear Starburst arrive it will scale nicely and look good together.
    [​IMG]

All in all I will still give it 7/10 because it is Jetfire and because of the overall general looks.

[​IMG]

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Alright first one in. Gratz bro on the purchase & your pixs is nice as usual. :thumbs2: 

Btw how's the transformation like? Is it easy to transform or Yamato Macross level of complexity?

3. TCracker

News Credits:
    Thanks bro! :D  :D  :D 

Added new pics as of 19/7/2014

New set of pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The underside
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gerwalk is doable but laughable
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Battrio---um-robot mode pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Great review, dude. Thanks for posting it!

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting the review. He is undeniably, at aesthetically, great looking. He looks solid and I'm glad to see the backpack lower the we have seen in earlier promo shots.

6. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Great review!

Unfortunately he looks more like a display piece than anything. The super pieces will be going straight to storage. Shame the plastic quality isn't the best. :/

At least he's Jetfire, which means I have to get him.

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Nice pics. Those hollow parts are annoying. Especially on a Leader Class. And the ones on the forearms are on the OUTSIDE. What the hell? The proportion looks good but man the super parts are tacky as hell.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I think he's fantastic for the price. The chrome doesn't bother me in this case.

Maybe I missed it, but did you mention if the battle mask stores anywhere?

9. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Can you post a photo from the bottom of the jet?

And how does it transform? Considering the jet cockpit is on its back in its entirety and I can see the false robot cockpit below the jet, I've been worried that it has a basic Universe Silverbolt-style transformation.

10. TCracker

News Credits:
    In normal mode, it slides into the gun. But when you transform him to jet mode, the helmet clips on his face and goes along with the transformation.

[​IMG]

11. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

can the cannons on his back be made to point forward like mp prowl?

12. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, gonna have to use some matte topcoat on those chrome parts. It'll still be shiny, but I think it'll be a lot more bearable for me.

13. TCracker

News Credits:
    Doh! I forgot to take a pic of that. And transforming him to jet is scary for me due to the chest mechanism which requires precision lining up of the parts.

But I can guarantee you, it is not another Classics Silverbolt syndrome.

14. TCracker

News Credits:
    No it cant. YOu can reverse it but that would mean the boosters are pointing upwards.

15. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

can you post a pic of the boosters pointing upwards? thanks

16. TCracker

News Credits:
    Hmmm...it is on the first page.

Normal mode
    [​IMG]

Your pic request
    [​IMG]

17. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review. Your pics and poses are great as always. As has been said by numerous people, the only things I don't like are the hollow parts. Personally I don't mind the chrome, but would rather have had them use that part of the budget to fill in the holes in the arms and legs. Overall I think it looks excellent and can't wait to get mine.

18. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review and big amount of pictures! :) 

For some reason I've always been very fond of G1 Jet/Skyfire's cartoon and comic design, so the 'base' figure looks really striking. You'd think I find this perfection.
    However, I can't get over the insane amount of shortcuts they took with this guy, and that was before I learned of the cheap and thin plastic. Hate the hollowness, because they're in way too obvious areas. :( 

Also don't like the chromed parts, or any of the add-ons really. Really destroys his silhouette, makes the proportions clunky all of a sudden. And the way the arms connect to the chest in robot mode really irk me. He's far from the only Transformer whose arms connect with panels like that, but they're just too obvious.

Jetmode is great. :)  Yay, a positve!

Yeah..just no feeling this. I want to like it, but no. If I ever pick it up, it will probably at discount (although I doubt it will ever go on discount before selling out in (online) shops here). Maybe an impulse buy when he is released in brick and mortar stores, but I don't think we're getting Generations here, and the Leader prices are just too high in Dutchlandia.

Think I'll stick to my Classics Jetfire for now...and ultra Powerglide, which this toy totally reminds me of.

19. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate this review.

I wrote off Generations Jetfire as a cheap and ugly-looking toy, inferior to Classics Jetfire in every way but size. Then TCracker goes ahead and post pictures showing how nice this sculpt truly is.

...but between his size, his hollowness and most of all....that crack around the pin in jet mode (which brings back my MP-03 PTSD), I just can't bite. Not for $47 anyways. I used to not care. Now I feel like this figure is kinda tragic for how close it came to seizing glory.

I would drown infinity puppies to have a Leader Jetfire with this aesthetic constructed with the build-quality of the Classics version.

20. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    ultra sized and ultra quality for leader prices. good try hasbro but nope.