Minor/Repaint: Generations Leader Jetfire paint apps

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by rumble619, Jul 31, 2014.

1. rumble619

rumble619 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is really minor but I think it makes a big improvement to the figure. I noticed when I got him that there is a lot of white on this guy and that his paint didn't match the box art so I added the paint to match the box and now I'm 100% happy with this guy!!!

I added the red stripes off to the sides of his chest along with the red around the feet. I was really surprised how much I like the chrome red and once I painted the guns black on them i think they look even better. Also added the black on his knees.

Here's a pic of a stock leg next to one I painted and also a before pic of his chest fresh from the box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here he is all done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And last but not least I added a size comparison shot with multiple figures to try and show his scale/ Toyworld Orion, Hegemon and Bii, MP Prowl, Warbotron Swindle, Classics Cliffjumper and MMC Feral Rex:

[​IMG]

Like I said nothing before, nothing major but to me it made a big difference!!

Quick Update:
    I just noticed that I forgot to paint his Autobot symbol. For some reason the whole symbol is red with no kind of panel lining so behind the canopy it's kind of hard to make out from a distance. So what i did was paint it silver then dry brushed a metallic red over it to give it the panel lining it needed and make it pop more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. thebandwagon

thebandwagon Well-Known Member

It's incredible how a couple of paint apps can add so much to the figure. It's clean and simple, and I will probably end up doing the same haha. Great idea!

3. metrobot70

metrobot70 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The guns looked better now, great job man. I can't wait to get this figure, My paints are ready to go.:thumb 

4. Dexter601

Dexter601 Breaker Of Stuff

Ebay:
    Looks great. I prefer paint apps over stickers but I'm hoping reprolables notices your improvements. Not quite the steady hand at painting anymore. However I'm sure we will see something like this and a macross from them......anyway I can't wait to try this to mine. Good job

5. TFfanOP

TFfanOP Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you just paint over the chrome? No preparing, sanding down of chrome? Just simple paint over chrome?

It looks really better.

6. rumble619

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly. I don't know why Hasbro didn't do it but ut's still a cool figure!! Thanks

Thanks!!! Can't wait to see it

Thank you.

No prep or anything. I just painted the gun metal right over the chrome and it's holding amazingly. I don't know if it makes a difference but I used Tamiya Gun Metal.

7. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    Hmmm...I'm liking the paint apps, they definitely work wonders for this guy my good friend.

I'm still on the fence for this guy, I'm not into the simple transformation of the nosecone\flippy floppy backpack...I think it is because HxcPunk23's and tomac66's Classics Jetfire mods have kept me happy all of these years with a decent show accurate Skyfire :) 

Any thoughts of that my good man?

8. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    I hadn't even noticed that there's an Autobot symbol in the canopy. Cool. The paint really helps the figure pop. I know you said you're done, but I think a gray wash in the right parts will help bring out some of those details. I know if I get one, I'll have to resist going nuts with the washes all over him.

9. castdream475

castdream475 Well-Known Member

That autobot logo really pops with some paint. Nice work!

10. sephron13

sephron13 Well-Known Member

Pretty excellent updates! Love that scale shot too; probably the best scale comparison I've seen for him yet (great figure choices). I'll second the Reprolabels nod; they need to take notice of your improvements!

11. colosalcustoms

colosalcustoms TILL ALL ARE DONE!

Must be nice to have a Jetfire none hear yet. Nice simple work

12. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Reprolables? You reading this?

This is what you need to do... I'll buy one...

chest pinstripes, foot / ankle stripes, etc...

And as an alternative, use the G1 sticker sheet as a guide...

13. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Nice work .is he out in stores?

14. rumble619

News Credits:
    Hey buddy good to hear from you. Thanks for the props.

I know exactly how you feel. I've also done the same mods to my Classics Jetfire and was totally on the fence with this guy. But after getting him in hand I'm really happy with this guy.I really think it's all up to what you're looking for for your collection.

I love his size and bot mode more than anything else. I feel that Hasbro maybe tried to give us a hybrid of his G1 selves. The bot mode is more toon accurate while the jet mode is more toy accurate.Their not exactly G1 but you definitely get that feel from him.He does have some drawbacks though.He's not perfect by any means......no wrist movement,no knee swivel,his feet kind of hang out of the back in jet mode but there are some cool things about him.....His weapons can be attached and combined in many different ways both in bot and alt modes,his thruster backpack can be taken off just like classics Jetfire but they added a 360 degree swivel so you don't have to remove it for transformation if you don't want to so it's no longer a parts former. I really like this guy. The cockpit really doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. The only thing I could suggest is getting one and trying him out to see if he's for you. If you try it and don't like him I'll definitely buy him off you. I have a custom in mind (no not seekers) that I want to try.

Hope I could help you with your decision bro!!!

Thanks bud. I totally agree with you but the thing is I don't wash any of my figures for my collection. Don't get me wrong I love the way it looks and everything but if I did one I'd have to do them all lol.

Thank you!!

Thanks. I tried to include a little bit of everything for everyone

Thanks

It will happen lol. Thanks

15. swOd

swOd Search and Wrescue

Dig it. Can't wait for this fella to come around here. Have you tried to put the fast pack from Classics on this version of Jetfire? Just curious as the attachment points look similar.

16. rumble619

News Credits:
    Thanks. The Classics fast packs clips are to big to fit into the Generations holes. However they do almost line right up so with a little modding to the clips I'm sure you could get them to fit

17. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

amazing, what color red paint did you use? did you use a marker or paint?

18. rumble619

News Credits:
    Thanks. It's actually spray paint. I first tried to brush it on but it turned out a little different.I found that when I sprayed it it was 100% dead on to the factory red. I used Tamiya Bright Red!!!

19. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

ok thanks

20. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

Hey man nice job on the pain apps! I just pick Jetfire up today and started painting up the guns. How did you get to the Autobot logo in the chest?