GENERATIONS Discussion: Are Pre-Siege Figures Not Good Enough Now?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by orangeitis, Nov 23, 2018.

1. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Ever since I watched the SDCC video of the TFormers interview with Hasbro Design Manager John Warden, explicitly revealing that WFC: Siege has 1: a unified scale within the line, and 2: legacy gimmick retention over "line-wide" gimmicks like what Combiner Wars or Titan's Return featured. In addition, with the reveal of Decepticons, we have found that the vast majority of figures are less reliant on parts-sharing, effectively reducing redecos and retools mainly to where most appropriate(Seekers, G1 interpretation of movie Barricade, etc). Not only that, but Siege features a new "C.O.M.B.A.T." system, allowing Weaponizers and effects parts to attach to any other figure in the line. Considering that they're all 3mm and 5mm sized, they're even backwards-compatible with figures from past lines!

But I'm personally conflicted now. Being a fan who is particularly picky about figure scale, I feel as if most of my "CHUG" figures just aren't good enough to represent most characters that have figures within pre-Siege lines any more. I find myself anticipating the remakes of every other character previously updated within "CHUG" to the new, roughly 1:36 WFC scale(measured with the dimensions of Optimus Prime and the supposed "human-sized" Micro/Battlemasters). There are exceptions, such as Titans, canon combiners and a handful of con exclusives, but for the most part, the WFC trilogy has set a new bar that I have fully embraced as the new standard for the Generations line going forward.

Is any other collector in the same boat that I found myself in?

By the way, here's the SDCC video in question:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally don't put scale high on my list of criteria. It's fine if figures are in scale, but if they aren't I'm not gonna get rid of a good figure because of that. My favorite Onslaught toy is the bulky Universe ultra class one, and he's way too big to go with anything. I say if you couldn't enjoy a well made toy because it's the wrong size relative to other toys, then you'd miss out.

• Like Like x 30
  3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah...scale doesn't bug me too much either. Case-in-point, MP01 is currently and will continue to be my only MP Optimus for the foreseeable despite the fact that he towers out-of-scale over everybody else (MP-wise). I get what you are saying, though.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Gotta agree with this.
    A good figure doesn't need replaced just because a newer iteration is released. Even if the new one is better and looks better in general, unless there's space issues involved there's no reason to get rid of a figure you like.

Personally, I am loving the new unified scale they're now going for. On top of that the quality seems to be great so far. For me, I will most likely go with the modern stuff as my main display, yet keep favorites from past lines.
    Best of both worlds!

• Like Like x 6
  5. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say PW3 toys focus on line wide gimmick driven play value. That is they are fun toys based on mostly G1 characters.

As for Siege I see at as more of a more affordable option to MP with the added play value of Battle Masters, Micromasters and FX parts.

If there is a new figure of a character you already have, and you see the new one as an improvement then go ahead an upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

My collection is so diverse in types, that scale went out the window a while ago. I probably won't be replacing most of my pre-Siege figures.

• Like Like x 4
  7. GoldDeadEnd

GoldDeadEnd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm cool with Ultra Class Powerglide.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only started collecting again at the beginning TR, so I don't own a lot of the older CHUG figures after selling off my collection in 2013. But if I did still have all those old figures I'd replace them in a heartbeat. Most of them were close but not quite there, but were the only options available at the time.

• Like Like x 4
  9. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In a few years, Transformers Siege won't be good enough because of Hasbro's new line that has earth modes, no battle damage and in scale.

It's the circle of life..... cue Lion kings "Circle of Life" song....

• Like Like x 16
  10. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    [Generations] Jazz cannot be outdone.

DSC02970_zpslfqhwegy.jpg

Look at him there, guarding the pop secret and sunkist with his spark and superior articulation.

• Like Like x 26
  11. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well said my friend,...took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't agree more.

12. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Probably not to some, but I'd love representations of pre- and post-Earth editions of the characters standing side-by-side, battle damage or no.

But I love the fact that there is such a diverse set of preferences and tastes in this fandom <3 the Transformers franchise really brings out how our differences can be shared within a common passion~

• Like Like x 3
  13. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I used to have this mentality with my figures (thinking that a new style/trend was objectively "better" because I preferred it to the old) but have come to realize that--even when there are obvious improvements in a line (see: improved articulation with Siege, scale)--the time always comes when I find myself yearning for the old styling. For instance, while I love the MP-grade and more modern CHUG-styled figures that I've picked up this year, I often find myself wanting them to come closer to the stylistic standard (and the pricing!) of the toys from Cybertron. I try to judge and enjoy my figures by what they are, not what I want them to be, which I suppose means enjoying a bunch of different styles and eras of Transformers toys. Nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade the collection though.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Scale has never been a priority for me.

• Like Like x 4
  15. ReximusPrimal07

ReximusPrimal07 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If siege sideswipe has made anyone not want classics sideswipe I’d happily take him

• Like Like x 8
  16. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just make sure to hold his chest down if you want to move his shoulders.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Huh, I don't recall that being an issue.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

RTS Jazz is bar set very high.

However... I don't care about an exact scale much. I'd rather wish they were redoing the characters with less than stellar old versions. Like Sunstreaker. Good for its time, but not anymore. And the CW version ain't great as well. Or Ratchet.

Otherwise... I'd rather have them moving past the first Ark crew.

• Like Like x 7
  19. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I've always used slightly out-of-scale toys to make a section of the display look a bit more dynamic, ie: having Henkei Skyfire surrounded by the Henkei Legends Minibots at the back end of the shelf while Generations Deluxe Warpath is up on the front edge to play with the actual heights of the toys a bit and suggest a scale that's different, knowing what we know about these characters.

This War for Cybertron line and it's intent on adhering to a set scale is nice, but as long as the toys are good, I can make do just fine without.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

You have a diverse, mismatched collection too?

• Like Like x 6