Generations: Beast Wars - Speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Verno, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your Ideal Line

1. Updates for just the Season 1 Show Characters

72 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Updates for ALL the Show Characters and Designs from all 3 Seasons

252 vote(s)
    54.0%
  3. Updates for just the Original figures

13 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Updates for ALL the figures from Originals through to TM2s

130 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Maxicon

Oh Primus no! I would HATE if we get something more than half a bone thrown to us, only to witness the messy birthing of the "BWunner"!
    I think it's wise to have reservations against being Puritanical with new material...

• Like Like x 3
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    I wouldn't touch non-beast BW characters with a ten foot pole, nor would I disparage anyone who wants them to happen, I just think it's a bit strange to push them so heavily "for the story". Beast Wars does so much incredible yoga in its premise for the sake of the toys, not for the sake of the story, so I don't see why now the story has to come first and deadlock Hasbro into making car Cheetor.

To allow organic animal Transformers, Beast Wars:
    • had to go back in time
    • had to take place on Earth
    • had to shrink the Transformers
    • had to include and explain the Energon deposits on Earth, which meant that it
    • had to devote a not-insignificant portion of the plot to the Vok and all their schemes
    • et cetera.
    All of that was done just so organic animals could exist in a way that made any kind of sense, because the wave one toy bio premise was always a bit BS.

Why now should we say "actually fuck the animal idea, let the story make the toys instead of vice versa"?

• Like Like x 5
  3. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus There Is Such A Thing As Truth

Well who cares? BW Generations is not happening anyway!

• Like Like x 1
  4. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    What flavor of hat would you like to eat for next year?

• Like Like x 6
  5. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Did you literally join last Friday just to tell us it isn't happening?

Love that. I will use this term for sure if we see that.

I don't think there is a right or wrong approach, but I'm definitely not saying "fuck the animal idea". But I also would never, ever sneer at a "story first" approach.

• Like Like x 4
  6. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Maxicon

I always felt there was something to this being written into the lore... the idea that beast-formers (-fans-) were second-class citizens, that the old way of vehicles is better.

I mean, G1 legacy characters not withstanding, it continued to devolve in official media...
    BM said, well, the bad guy(s) now hate organics..
    R1D indirectly ruled "beast mode = bad guys",
    UT said "eh, they're useful as mindless minions" then "well, OK they're people but mostly they belong on their own planet"
    Which also was mostly IDW's thing until they were "all bad guys" again near the end.
    TFP:BH, all beast = bad guys and are ancient forms so the new way of vehicles is better.
    R15D had "Grimlock is special" but vast majority of bad guys had zoanthropic robot modes.
    Cyberverse at least has Cheetor...

I'm most likely missing some details or characters in all this that while present cannot overrule the tendency on their own.

My point is, I still feel "Puritanical" is a wrong way to receive whatever we DO get, but I can also understand how all this makes for frustration. A lot of false hope over the years.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Apollux

Apollux Turbomaster

Ebay:
    Haha I wouldn't bet on that ;) 

You're in for a welcome surprise next year.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Suboptimal Optimus

Sorry, I'm just in a bit of a burnout and expecting Hasbro to seriously screw up or ignore the anniversary so I'm trying to be as negative as possible to avoid getting hyped for nothing...

• Like Like x 3
  9. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I vote gasoline.

@Apollux has sources that say 2021 is gonna be great for BW fans.

• Like Like x 2
  10. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I'm of the opinion that it will happen...but probably not next year. That doesn't mean there won't be some "slide ins". Between the Dinobots, Insecticons, Deluxe Insecticons, Dezarus, etc, I can very easily see a few Transmetals find their way in. Maybe even a BW2 Predacon or two.

But the fact of the matter is that, if Hasbro is basically using WfC as a complete redo of 1984-86, there's still quite a bit left on the table. The G1 beasts are the biggest missing components at the moment, besides a few of the Autobot cars like Skids.

Personally, if I were an ultra-hardcore-Beast-Wars-enthusiast, I'd rather desire a dedicated line that doesn't try to cater to both G1 and Beast Wars fans. Just a 100% all beasties line to get it all out of the system. That would make more sense as the next collector series, where Hasbro can throw its full might behind it...and probably in conjunction with a potential Beast Wars movie.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Suboptimal Optimus

I don't trust/believe Hasbro on any BW stuff, not until I see it. Corporate speak mean nothing until we get actual proof. For all we know they just mean they will announce a character or two in 2021, maybe an MP. Or reissues. When we get announcement the next line or trilogy is Beast Wars (or partial BW) then I will believe it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually had the same headcanon. I'm absolutely not against vehicle-mode Beasts. I'm only against getting them instead of animal-mode Beasts. I think we agree there.

Well, you're running into the reality that animals are scarier than vehicles and therefore simply make better bad guys in storytelling. We as humans have a very ancient, primal reaction to teeth and claws that we don't have to rubber and exhaust fumes. And animals are alive, they have agency that vehicles don't. So they make better villains and antagonists because we, the readers/viewers, react more viscerally to the threats they can pose. You're just kind of running up against biology there, and how to tell more impactful stories.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Not to mention that G1 itself heavily placed beasts in the corner of the Decepticons. Honestly, you can count the number of beast Autobots using your fingers...maybe a few toes for good measure. Double or triple that for the Decepticons.

14. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

100%, I don't want vehicle mode versions of Beast Wars characters instead of Beast Wars characters. I want Beast Wars characters twice, with animals for sure and pre-Earth vehicles as an optional I'd be okay with.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Is that why they're all completely surprised by their new abilities?

16. Suboptimal Optimus

Megatron even mention his ability to fly is new to his new form.

Anyway: I'm big into Transmetals so if Hasbro chicken out and stick a vehicle mode it isn't the end of days, especially since it would require them doing a semi original design rather than being slavish to tv show designs. That's what MP are for. Not only that but BW characters went through a lot of upgrades and weird mutations across three seasons+Beast Machines so I am a bit used to them getting a redesign or two.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

They were never tripple-formers.

18. Suboptimal Optimus

Still, becoming Transmetal DID yield new abilities as Megatron never had the ability of flight in any mode and presumably lacked it even if he had an alt mode before the show (which is a debated topic). It somehow reconfigured his body with VTOL function in T-Rex mode and a more limited ability to use it in robot mode, as shown in the episode The Agenda. Cheetor also gained booster rockets and he previously lacked any form of flight.

• Like Like x 2
  19. levandowski

levandowski Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hence, cheetor go vroom vroom

20. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Arguably, Waspinator was in toy form. He even gained a cockpit.