Generations: Beast Wars - Speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Verno, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your Ideal Line

1. Updates for just the Season 1 Show Characters

79 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. Updates for ALL the Show Characters and Designs from all 3 Seasons

324 vote(s)
    53.6%
  3. Updates for just the Original figures

16 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Updates for ALL the figures from Originals through to TM2s

185 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. combinerlover

combinerlover MONSTRUCTOR's BFF ;)

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just give me Tarantulas , Blackaracnia , Scorponok , Quickstrike and for the love of god , give us a BOTANICA , please . :) 

2. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Many of the original figures are extremely good and basically set the standard for the modern deluxe. There may be a trick or two that a 2018+ figure might have but they’d also suffer from inferior materials that comprise modern toys. I have my doubts...Generations Rhinox, Rattrap and Waspinator were pretty great though.

I just want updates to figures that really need it...pre-transmetal Tarantulas for example...the original toy is really neat but it came along before the aesthetic of the line found it’s stride.

Whatever we get, I DO want mutant masks. I always loved that feature. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Here's the logo if they want it :p 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Only thing I want from a revisiting of the Beast Era...is show character updates...and...Transmetal 2 Sonar...Transmetal 2 Stinkbomb...Beast Wars Alligator Megatron...and...Beast Wars Mutant Soundwave...so along with Cheetor...I can hope for redecoes as the Combatibot - Transformers Wiki unit ...fingers crossed that they could combine into Toxitron...oh...and...Botanica...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    To be frank, if they do an Airrazor that isn't organic, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. She was one of the few things from BW that I liked, and I'm all for adding to my G1 CHUG lineup if it makes aesthetic sense.

6. Sonic Eclipse

Sonic Eclipse Maximal

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I voted for updated figures across all 3 seasons. But I know it isn't likely. I really do think that if Hasbro is afraid Beast Wars figures won't sell, than maybe they should focus on updating the Transmetals instead of doing organic Beasts again.

But with how cheap looking every thing has been since Combiner Wars, I doubt anything they'd come up with would surpass any of the originals. I was looking at some of the PoTP figures at my local TRU today, and I wasn't happy with how any of them looked. I fear PoTP Primal will suck too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I don't think it's Hasbro afraid that they can't SELL BW figures, it's the part where they have to convince Walmart and Target and the like to carry them. The BW stuff that sat while everyone was apparently ordering online left a bad taste in retailers' mouths. That's also why the BW stuff isn't early enough in waves to be seen prominently on solicits to the stores in the initial waves. Even after having a poor showing with Cheetor and Dinobot, Hasbro STILL tried to slip more BW stuff in. If Primal does well, and potentially some more characters done at other size classes, then we may see a shift. But that means that people will have to buy these things at retail, and that's where the rubber hits the road. As large as the collector community is purported to be, it isn't enough to carry a main line by itself.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Verno

News Credits:
    Looking at the numbers of what a current Generation line consists of, we get around 15 Legends, 24 Deluxe, 9 Voyagers and 6 Leaders.

That's 54 figures needed to create a line similar in size to Combiner Wars.

The original Beast Wars series had 42 figures. With the three we've already seen produced, that takes us to 39, well short of the desired 54. A potential savior comes in the form of the recent news of brand unification between Hasbro and TakaraTomy. Those 15 slots could easily be filled by Japanese characters from Neo and II, who share the same organic aesthetic of the original Beast Wars figures.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Pipe dream
    • Voyager Beast Machines Optimus Primal
    • A TMII Leader Evolutions Megatron that goes from the TM Trex/Robot to the torso of the dragon body with a dragon mode and the wings able to be posed like the BM cloak with clip on creepy arms and headset pieces.
    • T30 Sky-Byte redeco'd as Cybershark
    • Deluxe s1 Terrorsaur with Fractyl and Lazerbeak redecos
    • Voyager Dinobot
    • Voyager Jetstorm
    • Legends class Thrust
    • Waspinator Redeco Buzzsaw
    • New Deluxe Tarantulas/Blackarachnia sharing some parts and engineering but mostly original.
    • Legends Quickstrike
    • Legends Airrazor
    • Voyager Torca
    • Deluxe K9
    • That New Dinobot in Grimlock colors

• Like Like x 1
  10. Verno

News Credits:
    Magnaboss and Tripredacus: Their individual figures sold separately, or as a Leader-class boxset?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    boxset.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Verno

News Credits:
    How big are Leader class figures these days? By that I mean, would three Deluxe figures make up a Leader-sized figure? Or two Deluxe and a Voyager perhaps?

13. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's pretty hard to say - if you look at Overlord, I'd guesstimate he's got the size in alt mode of two voyagers, but both have fewer parts and/or complexity than an individual voyager. W/the new PotP ones, the unpowered up figures are smaller than current voyagers, but there's a decent amount of bulk left in the legs/arms that get attached for power up mode. I would think, if you don't mind mildly simplified individual beasts/robots, you could easily work out Magnaboss, Predacus, and Magmatron at the leader size and pricepoint or thereabouts (e.g. a $55-60 special box set that's half a head taller than standard leaders or has impressive backwings or whatever)

14. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think the major reason why Rattrap, Wasp, tankor and rhinox didn't sell enough was because how shitty the distribusion was at the time (Hell, we even got BARELY something from AoE, we still got a lot of Beast hunters).

Also how badly they were advertised.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  15. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Honestly, I just want updated Megatrons the absolute most. A show accurate, modern S1 Megs that has a hand, a S2 Megatron that isn't self-destructive, and a Dragon Megs to go with Optimal Optimus.

I still am a bit salty about Primal winning this particular poll, but that being said, if he does welcome in more Beast Wars stuff, maybe that will be for the better. That being said, I'm getting some bad vibes about this Optimal Optimus so far, so hopefully he isn't so disliked that the new wave of things doesn't come.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Verno

News Credits:
    So long as Magnaboss isn't permanently staring into the sky again, I'd take that :p 

• Like Like x 1
  17. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...without a major push of supporting fiction, an organic beast wars line won’t sell, full stop: there’s just not a large enough legacy fanbase nor presence in the zeitgeist to bring in new fans...

...transmetals, on the other hand, could do quite nicely within a conventional cybertronian line...honestly, that’s all it’d take to leave me delighted: as many transmetals as they’ll sell me, engineered and manufactured to 2010-2014 takara standards...

• Like Like x 3
  18. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it would probably be easier to cannibalize the core Maximals and Predacons down into Autobot and Decepticon subgroups. Which is kind of what Hasbro did in RiD and Unicron Trilogy to avoid shelfwarming.

But then I think Inhumans and Silver Surfer work best as supporting Fantastic Four characters. In general, I see spinoffs as temporary and they all have to be reabsorbed back into the mothership after letting them have some time in the sun.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And, being democratic about it, I’d describe things like Sunbow G1, Marvel G1, and later Mirage TMNT Eastman/Laird runs as spinoffs that have to be reabsorbed and blended with the other ingredients eventually.

20. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

How about Beast Wars figures that have mechanical/robotic beast modes, like a Dinobot with a robotic raptor mode, similar to POTP Slash? Think about it. This will appeal to both the G1 hardliners, who are drawn away by the organic alt modes and Beast Wars fans who want updated versions of their favorite characters. This will also allow Beast Wars figures to mingle and blend in with the aesthetic style of the modern day Generations line, that uses an updated G1 aesthetic just with more greebling. It also might be easier for the Hasbro marketing team to categorize these Beast Wars figures as Autobots and Decepticons, rather than trying to explain to the public what a "Maximal" is. This might also be easier on the paint budget if Titans Return Wolfwire and Alpha Trion are any indications (certain realistic animal modes look terrible if a significant amount of paint apps were missing). This also might calm down the retailer's fears of organic looking Transformers figures not selling well.

• Like Like x 2