Generations: Beast Wars - Speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Verno, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your Ideal Line

1. Updates for just the Season 1 Show Characters

73 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. Updates for ALL the Show Characters and Designs from all 3 Seasons

258 vote(s)
    53.4%
  3. Updates for just the Original figures

13 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Updates for ALL the figures from Originals through to TM2s

139 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    I'm expecting what they seem to be in the habit of doing lately, taking the MP design, scaling it down and simplifying it.

That seems to be the trend with all the recent Beast characters with MPs, although the Kingdom Cheetor IS a bit different in some respects from the MP.

2. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    The Kingdom releases are nothing like their Masterpiece versions.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    I mean... yeah, they kinda are.

Blackarachnia is extremely similar to the MP, complete with the dedicated boob chest panel.

Megatron has the same shell-like transformation with dino toes that basically every Beast Megatron does. With the main difference being how much the MP folds up the dino panels on his back, while the Kingdom one... doesn't.

Primal is almost identical to the MP in every way.

Dinobot is SORT OF different, but he definitely takes alot of cues from the MP.

Cheetor, as I said, is different from the Kingdom version, but that mainly boils down to him not having the fake beast chest that the MP does. Come to think of it, that's alot of what makes Dinobot different, too.

Like I said, scaled down and simplified, but the same basic transformation core is there.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bluetigatron

Bluetigatron I'm a transformers fan, duh

Leakers have said he's a new mold, he's even supposed to include his gut gun

• Like Like x 4
  5. Z20

Z20 Well-Known Member

Good to know. Hope his color scheme includes that awesome metallic green

• Like Like x 2
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Except it isn't. That shell-like transformation is inherent to the character design and original toy. Every season-one Beast Wars Megatron does that, but Kingdom Megs doesn't even resemble the way the MP does it, especially in the thighs.

But he isn't? Like at all? His back doesn't rotate, his chest isn't his beast mode's belly, the whole torso unfolds and the heads rotate sideways rather than forwards, and the legs are totally different. Only similarity is the arms, but those are identical to the original toy as well.

He really doesn't. He has the MP's headsculpt, but everything else is completely different. Closest similarity is how the robot mode hips end up in the dino chest, with the robot mode legs running the length of the raptor... but it's still not 1:1.

Only Blackarachnia really resembles her MP specifically. Everyone else is just based on the original toy/show model. It's like saying Siege Prime is a simplified MP-10.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Z20

Z20 Well-Known Member

One last thing I forgot to ask, did the leakers hear or see if Kingdom Tigatron's face resembles the original show or is it the generic look from that teaser trailer for Kingdom on Netflix?

8. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    The Netflix models are based on early design sketches rather than the production toys. Tigatron won’t have the Netflix head.

9. Z20

Z20 Well-Known Member

Oh good, that's a relief.

10. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    I've seen some truly curious comments floating around in a particular thread in the last day or two. Two of the themes relate to Beast Wars, so here we are.

The first is something along the lines of "If you're worried about how good Kingdom Terrorsaur is going to be, just look at the retooling that's gone into Ravage..."

*Looks at Worlds Collide Fangry*

I think there's still cause for trepidation.

The other is in relation to Transmetal retools of Kingdom figures, namely Cheetor into TM Cheetor, via Ravage.

As someone that likes to look for retool potential in figures (as we've all seemingly been conditioned to do so after the last 7 years) and will happily throw an out-there theory out there from time to time (SS G1 Grimock into Deathsaurus for example), even I'm scratching my head at the mental and logical gymnastics some are doing to justify this idea.

Despite my enjoyment of looking for retool potential, I'll always advocate for brand new figures, which is what a new TM Cheetor should be, should he be updated in the future. I'll readily admit that my utter dislike of the Kingdom Cheetor mould plays a part in this particular example, but there's almost this waft of desperation from some that Beast Wars is going to disappear if they don't reuse the moulds as much as they can, like these are the only figures we're ever going to get.

Relax. We're getting a movie. Kingdom is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Oh hey, that's me! Though, I'm not saying it's a guarantee it's going to be great. One great retooling doesn't guarantee all are going to be as good, moreso that they are willing to go pretty damn far on the retooling these days. They aren't just doing minor tweaks.

It's also in context. They ARE retooling airazor into Terrorsaur. It's not like our preferences are going to change that, it's just what's happening. This is more so a "hey, it could actually be pretty great!" rather than, "this is the ideal, please do this".

New figures will always be ideal. However, retooling to save money here and there is just a guarantee of life. It isn't a Beast Wars thing... they've been doing it in every line since... forever. I'm not worried if they don't do it Beast Wars will die, I just expect they'll do it because they always have.

12. Verno

News Credits:
    I just found it kind of ironic that on the same day we saw Ravage, we also saw Fangry. To me, they are poles apart in quality of retool, and I'm certainly hoping that Terrorsaur is to a similar extent as Ravage, but as you say, there's no guarantee.

13. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I don't think I saw Fangry. My point about Terrorsaur was moreso, with Ravage on the table, there's no guarantee Terrorsaur is going to be bad. Hasbro IS capable of some pretty great things.... sometimes...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Verno

News Credits:
    Yes, the arm transformation is quite ingenious. If only they'd put the same amount of thought into the robot arms on Kingdom Cheetor originally. There would have been all this room on Cheetor's underside for, oh, I don't know, a gun or something :p 

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Damn, forgot that this thread existed.

Will copy what I said in other similar threads: Cybershark, Manterror and Wolfang are some of my most wanted figures. Polar Claw deserves justice and get revenge at Tigatron. After seeing Ravage, I believe a B'Boom/Apache remould from Primal is perfectly possible. New Lio Convoy and a repaint into Rodimus Primal (If Nemesis Primal can happen then Rodimus deserves a chance too).

16. IronWaveJRG

IronWaveJRG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I mean, it's not every once in a while that we get a new treatment of Beast Wars Ravage of all characters, especially since his original figure is the ultimate holy grail of any Beast Wars collection.
    The last time we ever got something close to a BW Ravage figure was in 2016 (and before that, 1999) for BotCon, which was a CW Breakdown repaint. So if they ever revisit Ravage again (if at all), we'd have to wait other 5 years at minimum to get a new figure of him.
    So even if this new Ravage may not be for everyone's cup of tea, a lot of us are experiencing with Beast Wars figures/characters for the first time through Kingdom, so we'd like to have as many characters get the same treatment. So this new Ravage not only does it get the job done as updating Ravage (I think it looks great), it gives fans a chance to have the character in their BW shelves to compensate for the X9 figure, and it satisfies the hunger for Ravage for the time being.
    Besides, what great time would it be to revisit Ravage if not Beast Wars' 25th anniversary?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  17. Verno

News Credits:
    Ravage is a real curiosity for me. I won't be picking him up myself, but certainly encourage those interested to track him down, and hope he's readily accessible for them to do so. But I'm just kind of bewildered by him for a few reasons.

But looking forward, Cheetor is in Kingdom, he'll no doubt be in Rise of the Beasts, he was introduced into Cyberverse in 2019... He's going to be about for a while, as he's synonymous with Beast Wars. He was the second cab off the BW MP rank, so there's no doubting his place and prominence.

Eventually, we're going to get Generations versions of Transmetals figures, and Cheetor will be chief among them -- there are only 9 Transmetals figures that made it into the show after all, and that includes X-9 Ravage.

Given Hasbro's love of redecos and retools, I'm in little doubt Ravage would get another look in at this point, and I'm happy to wait for that to eventuate.

As you say, X-9 Ravage is perhaps the holy grail for Beast Wars collectors, and I'm fortunate enough to have tracked one down some years ago (though it should be noted that we've all had 20+ years to...) and perhaps owning the figure is factoring in my willingness to wait.

18. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Honestly, I really don't like X-9 Ravage. If I'm perfectly honest... I think he looks kinda terrible. I mean, he's great for what he is, a decent retool of Transmetal Cheetor... but other than that, he's kinda ugly and not terribly screen accurate. That's just *my* view. If I had X-9, I'm pretty sure I'd be hunting down WFC Ravage, because I think this new version looks a lot better.

The only reason I'm not going to though is because I have TransArt, which is a pretty damn beautiful version of him. Even then, I'm still kinda tempted by WFC just because I actually think it has the superior transformation over TransArt's non-transformation.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hell, I've only got the Botcon Tigatron version of X-9 so I'll be hunting this new one, but I'd also hunt down a Tigatron version of the new one as well

20. Verno

News Credits:
    I've been slowly piecing together in my mind why the WFC Ravage isn't doing it for me, and another part fell into place yesterday.

TM2 Prowl. He's an owl, and a quintessential mess of a figure that is a TM2 (I say that lovingly, of course). Now, Hasbro have this terrific new bird mould floating around thanks to Kingdom Airazor. We know it's being used for BWII Skywarp and the Terrorsaur retool, but let's say they wanted to use it again. They look at the original Beast Wars line-up, but birds are actually thin on the ground. They do have Prowl, however.

Instead of totally reworking the design and plastering it in chrome, they decide to make an organic version of Prowl -- Season 1 Prowl if you will. And looking at the transformation of Kingdom Airazor and TM2 Prowl, they share quite a number of similarities with the bird head on the robot chest and bird legs as robot legs.

But...

This, to me, actually takes something away from TM2 Prowl.

The beauty of the Transmetals and TM2 designs is that they were such a departure from that which had come before. Prowl is a tough example as he doesn't have that Original organic design to compare to in the real world, so let's use Iguanus for a moment as he had both an Original figure and a TM2.

His TM2 design isn't just a chromed version of the Original design. It's totally different. But an Original Prowl design would be just a de-chromed version of the TM2. That's boring, and I think this is part of what is throwing me with WFC Ravage. Original or Transmetal, he's the same design. But Transmetals and TM2's should be totally different from a preceding design.

I don't think I'm explaining this very well, but I hope you kind of get what I mean.