Generation Toys GT-10 Optimus Primal

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Jul 15, 2017.

?

Are you interested?

1. yes

56.6%
  2. maybe

19.9%
  3. no

23.5%
  1. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closeted otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be entirely fair, The Doujinshi market is in Japan. The 3P market is in China. China doesn't ask permission from anyone.

2. nutnut

nutnut Well-Known Member

My thoughts are that they combined primal series 1 with the 1st trans metal one. I'm not to shore about the gorilla head too boxy. But seeing the original art work has me interested. Especially in how they transform.

3. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly. That's why even if this was fully liscenced, it would be no different than copying a specific American aesthetic design.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We have KO companies announcing KOs of figures that haven't even been released yet. Why is there surprise that the same thing is being done with people's art work as well now?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If I drew it as a hobby and a Third Party made it without remuneration I would be thrilled. If HasTak did it I would be happy and payment would seem appropriate. Comparing some stupid little fan-service company to an international corporation is silly.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The more I look at pictures of this guy the more I'm committing myself to the idea of picking one up. I don't have any Generation Toys stuff, what's the build quality like? Have any of their products had any major issues?

7. Potchez

Potchez Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Large companies don't pay or acknowledge artists for their designs from the comics either.. It's the company's IP, they don't have to.

Pretty sure we have official comic artists who absolutely love the figures which homage their work like MMC Carnifex.

Then we have official artists who get butthurt when the official company uses their designs like a certain stealth bomber Megatron.

8. Hoffman

News Credits:
    If you draw something and call it Optimus Prime, Hasbro basically owns it already.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I wonder how much of the artist being upset is legitimate anger at his designs being stolen and how much is legally covering his butt. I have to imagine that there's at least some part of him that's excited to see his design being given physical form. If Generations Toys really wants to be cool they'd send him a free copy of the toy once it's released.

• Like Like x 3
  10. godotislate

godotislate B Gata H Kei

News Credits:
    To me, it's not "sacred." However, there is the sense that it's capitalizing on the work of the "little guy" versus a large corporation. Milne, Su, Figueroa, etc. create work-for-hire art that's owned by a corporation contracted to giant corporation. In some sense, the initial rationale of the whole third-party scene is that it's leveraging unlicensed IP in ways to provide products to fans that the IP holders would never do. (Though with the preponderance of third-party MP, this argument has kinda fallen apart, but that's a discussion for another time.) It's different from leveraging the ideas of an individual person, whether his initial ideas were IP-infracting or not.

The current third-party TF market also somewhat goes against the spirit of doujin fanart, which is generally to do something fun for a small community of fans without regard to profit.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    Well you can't really blame the artist for being frustrated.
    He is also a known designer to Bandai and Tarakatomy for some licensed toys (he used to be a designer at PLEX) before he turns freelance.
    On his resume he has works for designing Kamen Rider (Kamen Rider IXA), Super Sentai robots (Something in Dekareanger and the transforming car in Akibaranger), and a couple more things for games like Chaos Capra in SRWZ, and latest work is Kotobukiya's Frame Arms Vulture.
    If he can't prove himself to be clean on this matter companies will think he is profiting from his "fan designs" and will not use him for future works. It's simple as that.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's hard to get the impression he is upset. I posted the translation back a bit. I mean he might be for all I know but it just sounded like he said he had nothing to do with it.

13. Hoffman

News Credits:
    I think that's a fair perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ciel

ciel Member

News Credits:
    I was glad to come into this thread and see discussion about this. As an artist, I really feel for him. Some people are acting like this company using his design without permission is no big deal, but he has business relations with "official" companies and they might have caused trouble for him. Not to mention, I want to believe that as fans, we can still care about a company's good reputation to some degree. It was a really thoughtless action. (Sorry for my awkward english.)

15. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Post from GT:

• Like Like x 2
  16. sofos87

sofos87 Well-Known Member

i imagine him as he was on cybertron before coming on earth and be forced to take animal organic forms :D 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hoffman

News Credits:
    Yeah, so basically what the artist said too. He doesn't hold any copyright to the art, so there's no permission to get.

18. godotislate

godotislate B Gata H Kei

News Credits:
    If they're suggesting that their hope is to cultivate a market and move to original IP over time, then I look forward to that day. There are clearly a lot of talented transforming toy designers worldwide outside those employed by Bandai/TakaraTomy/Hasbro etc., and I welcome the opportunity for a company to create something fresh and new that isn't beholden to another company's designs or media.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    Well true.
    It's already getting the artist lots of hate flare already like a true criminal at the anonymous boards in Japan since his name is out.
    I guess he will declare pulling himself off from any kind doujin work very soon.

20. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

This my impression as well. Simply stating has nothing to do with it and he didn't give permission doesn't equal being upset

• Like Like x 1