Generation Toy GT-8 Guardian (Defensor/Protectobots)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great write up! Thanks for walking us through your thoughts on this guy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MrUniqZ

MrUniqZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It’s a shame this set looks to be continue to have thin plastic. I wonder if it’s a cost cutting measure, or a demand of their engineering. GT makes my favorite bot designs, but I wonder about durability.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    What the hell, GT? WHAT. THE. HELL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
  5. sofos87

sofos87 Well-Known Member

6. Ashpolt

Ashpolt Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    My best guess is that they're making the limbs as light as possible to make the overall combiner sturdy. If First Aid's trailer (i.e. the combiner parts) and Hot Spot are made of stronger plastic, that'll support this hypothesis. If they're made of the same plastic as the rest of the set, well...I don't think they'll support much at all. :D 

I will say that if JinBao do an OSKO of this to the same standard as their Devastator, I will be *sorely* tempted to have that for combined mode, and GT for vehicles.

[EDIT] Oh also, thanks to a tip from someone on twitter, I've managed to get Groove 100% tabbed together in bike mode. His feet can tab into his forearms, and when you do, the lower side panels will line up to tab in correctly. It's quite a hassle, but it's good to know that it is possible to tab him together fully.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Insanitus

Insanitus Member

It seems there were a lot of things you really didn't like about the figure. Was there anything the stood out as good with him? I was just wondering how he ranks with the rest of GT? Is it me or do the eyes seem like they were going for the sunglasses look?

8. Ashpolt

Twitter:
    Oh, to be clear, I think he's a good toy overall and I'm glad I got him. The plastic quality is a bit disappointing, but it doesn't ruin the toy by any means, and it's no worse than Sarge / Katana, so if you like them you'll like him.

To pick out specific good points though:

-Bike mode looks great. Seriously, fantastic. Katana is the best looking helicopter in my collection, and Motor is the best motorbike. It's also really solid once you've got it all tabbed together, no floppy bits.
    -Bot mode looks good as well: not as good as bike mode, but again, I really like bike mode! :) 
    -A couple of fiddly steps aside, the transformation is very clever. I really liked transformation sequences to surprise me, and looking at motor in bike mode I couldn't immediately figure out where the various bot parts even were, so when you start unfolding it and seeing how it all fits together, it's a really good moment.
    -He's scaled quite nicely to pose with smaller bots.

Overall, there's a lot more I *do* like about this toy than I don't. The faults (again, mainly the plastic) were things I was prepared for going in, because I've got the previous two toys in the line, and they're not enough to spoil him for me. My only real concern is for the combined mode, but they can still make that work. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Insanitus

Insanitus Member

Awesome! Thank you for answering that for me. I had no problem with the quality of Sarge, but Katana felt flimsy. I mainly chalked that up to having the thin panels but was really hoping they weren't dipping in plastic quality. It's odd because the entire reason they left Warbotron and formed Generation Toy was because they weren't satisfied with the materials they were using. ........

• Like Like x 1
  10. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the end it all comes down to this: People don't want to pay for IDW figures. They especially don't want to pay for IDW combiners. Corner cutting is inevitable after that.

11. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    I'm having a helluva time getting this shit to tab in, right out of the box. I can get the one side to just baaaarely snap together and as soon as I breathe on the other side, it pops back out... and then the seat has come undone and I've likely knocked one of the saddlebags out. *grumble grumble*

Going to wait until tomorrow to transform him. He does look good, aside from not being able to get the damn thing to tab and stay together. I haven't watched any transformation videos, so maybe there's a secret massaging technique that I'm missing. The part that I'm having trouble with is in front of the foot pegs. The panel with the little grey engine part (both sides).

I do like how they did the wheels and the handlebars, even if my PTSD from Axle means I'll never attach them.

DSC_0254.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. Insanitus

Insanitus Member

Damn, people are getting theirs already and I'm still waiting for TCP to get theirs in for my pre order (grumble grumble)

13. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

How did you come to this result? Have you seen MMC's or TFM's/GT's revenue numbers?
    Seems odd that they would continue making these figures if no one is paying for them

14. Ashpolt

Twitter:
    This is the part I struggled with too. The trick is, you have to tab the feet into the forearms (on the underside of the bike) - it's hard to see, and even harder to do, but there *are* tabs there, and once you get them clipped together properly, the side panels line up to tab together properly too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chibipoe

Chibipoe Proud owner of Scorponok

I'm people and I pay for them, soooo, your argument is invalid.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Ok, whew. That makes me feel better. I had Katana's arm peg tear, so I didn't want to force anything. Thanks for that. I had read your post earlier, but didn't remember which part it had been.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wyldmaxx

Wyldmaxx Well-Known Member

TFSource sent me a notice that it’s in and should be shipping my copy on Monday.

18. FightingRooster

FightingRooster Well-Known Member

Noob here. Is this better than MakeToys Guardia? Should I invest on this instead?

19. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    The torso makes or breaks a combiner. Nobody can say for sure until GT's Hotspot is out.

20. kamifushou

kamifushou Well-Known Member

Good news looks like tcp got it and shipped mine