Generation Toy GT-8 Guardian (Defensor/Protectobots)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Knight Prime

Knight Prime Well-Known Member

I thought this set was finished already...

2. Rodann

Rodann Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    ShowZ sent tracking on my Groove. And it’s received. Now the long wait.....lol

3. Aaronstampler

Aaronstampler Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    yup, 2-3 weeks, depending on how annoying Customs feels like being.

• Like Like x 1
  4. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
  5. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I didn't read the Chinese review above wrongly, the author said that among the Protectobots released so far, this one is the best in terms of quality. Certainly better than Katana. The transformation with the exception of the arms is also straight forward.

Looks like a solid figure. Gonna buy it in the next eBay flash sale.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pessimus Prime

Pessimus Prime Slackerbot Commander

It’s kind of surprising how Groove,
    easily the weakest toy out of the G1 Protectobots, has become - so far - the most interesting of these GT figures. He looks really great.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rodann

Rodann Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, this set has pretty much defined how to get a good looking robot from a helicopter and a motorcycle, where Zeta failed (helicopter anyway).

• Like Like x 2
  8. solskjaer

solskjaer Well-Known Member

Agree! The bike mode is too good to not display him in this mode. I seldomly display my figures in alt mode (except Dinobots and Monsterbots) but well..............

9. Aaronstampler

Aaronstampler Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Katana is a bit fiddly, but I don't know how anybody can complain about how he looks in either mode. He's really awesome, imo. All three are, really. The only criticism I have of the set, besides how slow GT has been in releasing them, is that I wish they were the size of the TW/Zeta stuff.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still weird that a motorcycle is larger than both the helicopter and police car, but it's fiction, right?? ...*slowly rocks self back and forth in the fetal position*...

• Like Like x 1
  11. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    No weirder than a P34 being bigger than a 308, or a Harrier bigger than an F-15.

It's because more people KNOW a motorcycle is smaller than a helicopter, that Groove's size is so often mentioned.

The Aerialbots are just as out-of-scale with each other as the Protectobots, but most people simply don't know what their relative sizes should be.

• Like Like x 8
  12. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Zeta focused only in the "combiner" aspect of the team, the robot modes are just afterthoughts...

13. Wyldmaxx

Wyldmaxx Well-Known Member

I’m going to display Motor in bike mode with Katana riding it. (I know, phrasing.)

• Like Like x 1
  14. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

15. Chibipoe

Chibipoe Proud owner of Scorponok

Expected arrival, Saturday. I can't wait. :D 

16. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO The New Guy.

WTF Figure is riding Grooves in the picture?? It looks like a naked dude wearing stockings with underwear on his head..! Am I on crazy pills.???:confused: :eek: o_O 
    Screenshot_20190515-151009.png
    EDIT: GF said figures wearing a "Mankini" and it was featured in the movie Borat lol. But still WTH?? Haha

17. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

That way lies madness...
    turn around!
    save yourself

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chibipoe

Chibipoe Proud owner of Scorponok

It's from a stupid ecchi manga called Hentai Kamen.

• Like Like x 2
  19. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO The New Guy.

Thanks for clearing that up i guess,For a minute I thought it was Vegeta.! Hahahahah:D  I think I'm done with Transformers for the day .

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ashpolt

Ashpolt Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Got mine today, and have so far transformed him to bot mode and back once, and fiddled with both modes. Early impressions:

-The instructions are absolute trash. I'm used to instructions being unclear or even occasionally missing steps, but couple of the steps here (23 & 24 for anyone who gets this!) show parts / joints that aren't actually on the finished toy! After that point, I gave up on the instructions and just tried to figure it out myself. Fortunately, that was pretty doable! It's a complex design but it's easy to figure out where everything needs to go. That said...

-When going back to bike mode, I can't properly tab in the lower side panels (the ones with the rider footpegs on). These also weren't tabbed in when the figure came out of the box (it comes in bike mode.) Interestingly, these are also the bits that are misrepresented in steps 23 and 24 of the instructions. I wonder if these pieces changed late in development? Hopefully once the video reviews start rolling in, someone like Emgo will figure out how to do it properly (or BSF - lol.)

-He's got the same issues with thin kibble bits on the underside of the forearms that Katana had, only with the added bonus that if you fold them away as neatly as possible, it stops the arm covers from properly tabbing in. They hold in place fine, and it overall looks better this way than having the kibble poke out underneath the hands, but still: annoying,

-He also has the same plastic quality issues (or arguably issues) as both Sarge and Katana. I don't know what GT are playing at here: I've got some of their other toys and the plastic quality is top notch, but on this set they seem to be skimping, and combined with very thin parts, it's less than ideal. It also makes me worry that combined mode will be floppy as hell, but I may well end up displaying these guys in individual vehicle modes anyway, because...

-Like Katana, this guy looks amazing in vehicle mode (Sarge looks good too, but not quite on par with his brothers.) Yes, even despite the fact that I can't tab it together perfectly. Now, granted, I do have a particular love for motorbike transformers, so maybe I'm going easy on him, but...nah, it's just a good looking bike.

-Bot mode also looks great, forearm kibble and dead eyes notwithstanding. (Seriously, GT: if you're going to give your toy translucent eyes for lightpiping purposes, you need to have a translucent section on the back of the head too for the light to get in. This is basic stuff. Otherwise, just paint your eyes.) He's got less kibble than Katana, and much better colour breakup than Sarge. Also a killer headsculpt. I'd be happy displaying him like this, if the bike didn't look so great.

-Articulation: he definitely has some.

tl;dr: Looks great, terrible instructions, questionable plastic quality with some very thin bits, clever and surprisingly intuitive transformation sequence. Yep, it's A Toy In This Line alright!

• Like Like x 10