Generation Toy GT-8 Guardian (Defensor/Protectobots)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Pessimus Prime

Pessimus Prime Slackerbot Commander

I've been more worried about B. I have no way of knowing but my gut has been that sales of Sarge have been extremely soft. He's widely available even now. Some of that no doubt has to do with his pricing. I think the community has mostly moved on from $100 limb bots, not withstanding the enthusiasm for the supposed combiners we'll be getting from FT. I know I didn't and will never pay that much for these Protectobots. Also, for some reason, Protectobots seem to garner less excitement than other teams. I suppose because they did not feature prominently in the cartoon. All of this has always made me suspicious that GT may back burner or even - god forbid - bail on this set. All of this is a shame because Sarge really is superb and Copter is also looking to be impressive.

2. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

I hope that is not the case because this set looks phenomenal! Zeta is out of the question, they only can produce huge actionmaster, and the robot modes suck, I don't know about FT, so I will refrain from commenting on them...

3. Aaronstampler

Aaronstampler Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It sure would be nice if GT was at all communicative about any of this. Even ibot or julianjj throws us a bone every now and again, which I appreciate even though at times I'm skeptical as to their sincerity. Do any of our Chinese friends at Weibo have any contact with them? Will they have any presence at TFCon Chicago?

• Like Like x 1
  4. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    It'll be a pretty long gap between releases-----I wish they'd use the time to re-release the first one, but this time in G1 Streetwise-grey instead of Prowl-white...

Seriously "exact same thing, with different color of plastic injected in the molds" is about as cheap a variation as it comes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. BIOMEC

They close their weibo account a while ago due to obnoxious fans...

6. Aaronstampler

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It really sucks there are no credible options. Their Blades looks amazing. Maybe FT in 5 years?

7. BIOMEC

FT most likely will be a pantsformer...

8. Pessimus Prime

I certainly hope so. Not interested otherwise. But I'm hoping Zeta continues on with other combiner teams. Their botmodes stink but that's what this set is for...if GT ever finishes it. But Zeta's doing good work at good prices with combined modes, and I would definitely be interested in their take on Defensor.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BIOMEC

I will just own Armageddon and that is it! No more pantsformer for me! I prefer what GT or TFC are doing with their combiners, I fell that I am getting more for my money (alt-mode, bot mode, combined mode and amazing transformations), while with Zeta I am only getting the combined mode and the alt-modes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Aaronstampler

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Less of an issue for me than some as long as everything looks as it should in all three modes and is high quality. The GT renders have minor parts forming in the legs as it is with a phony extra ambulance component for First Aid and it exists solely to make the legs to mount Streetwise and Groove on.

11. cybertronwarriors

cybertronwarriors @cybertronwarriors on Instagram

Instagram:
    I would love a line of pantsformers ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  12. BIOMEC

And that makes all the difference to me! I am sure part of Hotspot alt-mode also detach during transformation to become something else. Zeta pantsformers don't do that, and Armageddon "base mode" doesn't count! They are not even trying!

To me transformation / engineering and complexity are a priority, if not, they don't interest me. As an engineer I like those moments of wonder like "Wow, this thing change into this and that!" "What does the combiner kibble transform into?" "the torso bot actually transforms into a torso and looks good". That's why I am looking forward to OM Assaltus, that thing is maybe the ultimate combiner.

Pantsformer could "look perfect", but they are as simple as you can get and I usually wouldn't buy them, Armageddon being the only exception.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BIOMEC

Good for you!

14. Aaronstampler

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I get where you’re coming from and to each his/her own but I think we have to be fair and realistic. It’s perfectly okay to have high demands and expectations of the engineers. Hell, with these prices we SHOULD demand high quality and engineering. But the fact of the matter is that designers and engineers have real world limitations and constraints that animators simply do not. The cartoonists who drew up these guys 35 years ago simply gave zero fucks about what was realistically possible for toy makers to replicate in terms of looks and scale. You’re asking for bots to look one size in relation to non-combiner peers and then the gestalt to tower over everyone. It makes no sense. How should a tiny motorcycle and police car hold up as massive legs to a fire engine with a helicopter and an ambulance as arms?

How should a Jeep and a tank be the same size while supporting a missile launching truck with a helicopter and a space shuttle as arms?

How are the Stunticons supposed to make sense?

The only G1 combiners designed with any kind of common sense and synchronized thought between the engineers and the animators were the constructions and the predacons. The other four were all poorly conceived messes animated mainly to look cool on TV with little regard to the toys (like many of the stand alone G1 figures) actually.

To not be sympathetic to the plight of 3P engineers who have to put up with our “toon accurate yet perfectly scaled” demands while not accepting parts forming to me seems pretty harsh and not realistic.

15. BIOMEC

No I am not asking that at all! To me the combiner should be the sum of their parts, I really don't care how the ridiculous mass shift was depicted on the cartoon.

For a toy I am ok with that, Bruticus is just wrong scale wise, but there are real counterpart vehicles that are close in scale, so it works for me.

The IDW version of him makes sense, the G1 version does not! That's why I have Havoc!

Again, I am not against partsforming, I just don’t like pantsformers, to me the torso bot has to transform, not becoming the backpack of the gestalt, I am more concerned about "how it's done" than the "final result" I am fine with my combiners having whatever height their components allow them to be, they don't need to be huge. Just my personal preference that is perfectly realistic!

But if you want exactly what was depicted on the cartoon, I say yes, there is no other way to do it, you have to use an obscene amount of kibble and in the end you still have to oversize the limbs and the "torso" bot for that to work properly. Sometimes you could do it right (DX9 Menasor) where all the parts transform into something.

To me is more about having a cool transforming toy than the character that it is supposed to represent. If such robot needs a lot of extra parts that don't do nothing in the other modes, it might still be a great display piece but it's not that great from an engineering standpoint and outstanding engineering is one of the reasons that makes me collect toys.

But I know I am a rarity among the transformer collectors who place accuracy and scale above everything else. Usually the complex the transformer is, the more interesting it's to me!

16. Arthimuz Prime

Arthimuz Prime Fat Minibot

Ebay:
    Alt mode, individual bot, & the big bot really looks very good to me regardless there are partsforming. So....
    I'll wait for the "OVERSIZED"!!! :lolol 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aaronstampler

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hmm, this is interesting. FWIW, Robotoybase.com is claiming to have Copter "in stock" and available to ship 7-10 days from now. I've dealt with them plenty of times and they're usually not full of shit, so I find this curious. They typically charge less than you find from most retailers, but make it on the back end with a hefty shipping charge (not as extreme as Robot Kingdom, mind you). If they do indeed stick to their claims I'll probably order this sucker in a week because it sure seems like they're gonna get it before the NA folks will.

Also, for XTB fans out there, I found this most curious, they're claiming to have Flipout in two weeks as well. The odd part about this is we all kind of expected Savant to be next in line and imminent, but at least according to this store, that doesn't seem to be the case. I wish iBot shed some light on this.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  18. Pessimus Prime

In my experience RTB is often wrong about its stock (though still a good store). They listed the IF Datsun Bros as in stock for ages despite it being an utter fiction; they finally fixed it after people kept trying to order. The RTB listing for Copter says he's expected to ship on Oct 15 to 17 in big red letters. That likely means he's not literally in-hand but that he's en route. I've seen other Chinese sellers do this too, like Bababobo. Call it in stock but actually they've just been notified of shipping. It's still important news though.

19. solskjaer

solskjaer Well-Known Member

My go-to taobao seller, little bee prince, said it will arrive this weekend and asks pre-ordered buyers to pay. Can't wait.

• Like Like x 1
  20. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YAY!!