Generation Toy GT-8 Guardian (Defensor/Protectobots)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Oct 31, 2016.

1. PostwarOcean

PostwarOcean Newb

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Here is what I think the Make Toys version modeled their bike after: [​IMG]

I guess it would really depend on whether or not they are going to have the legs bolt on to the legs, like in the Make Toys version or of they are going to be stand alone limbs. Either way, I would hope that they would stick with the current lineup.

2. levit05

levit05 Member

i would love for these to be in masterpiece scale!!

3. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like just putting Legends Groove over Rook on the leg. More in scale, and he's still where he should be.

grooveleg.jpg

4. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Nice mod! But I see that "G1 nostalgia" is REALLY a force to be reckoned with :p 

I personally prefer alt-mode to be in scale (and the size of the robot depends on the size of the alt mode and vice versa), that's something the movies are doing "better"

For the combaticons:

For example make blastoff a military jet (small one, maybe a F-16 or a mig-29?), Swindle a heavy armored wheeled transport (8x8), Vortex a Cobra attack helicopter and the other two are just fine.

For Defensor you can do something similar, the idea is making the fiction as close to "reality" as possible, but I understand some people wants the G1 accuracy for whatever reason they may have

• Like Like x 1
  5. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    My man!

• Like Like x 2
  6. soybean56

soybean56 Well-Known Member

I prefer alt modes to scale and then bot modes to be whatever they are. Just a matter of your preference.

Blast-off and Swindle say hi from the "totally realistic" Bruticus. Scale's been an issue for Transformers since the beginning.

To the topic at hand: this is intriguing. I didn't know MMC was making a Defensor though. I'll have to watch both.

EDIT: BIOMEC beat me to all of my points it seems. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I have no issues with updated alt modes; GT's Jazz makes me want a Prowl that's a 370Z for than I want a proper G1 Jazz.

Groove still needs to be a motorcycle, though, and the bike's front end still needs to be Defensor's knee, though.

8. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    However, cars have much shorter "product cycles" than planes and military equipment. They don't get updated versions every couple years. There is no new version of the space shuttle. There is no new version of the Concorde. We are just barely starting to put into service the Harrier's "replacement" (snicker*). And nobody seems keen on updating Motormaster, even when the 4 limbs are, because he'd just "lose his look" going to a Volvo or something, the only real modern equivalent.

*but the F'd-35 is a whole 'nother discussion.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. LLSmoothJ

LLSmoothJ Well-Known Member

Okay, as much as I prefer Rook over Groove as a limb, it would be best to release Groove as a limb. If enough people want Rook, they can release him as an add-on like MMC did for Catilla as an add-on for Predaking.

Speaking of add-ons, I would love it if Generation Toy would release Heatrock and Skyfeather so we may get Gaia Guardian/God Guardian. Would be an instant buy in that case.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  10. Hellion42

Hellion42 Unreliable News Source

News Credits:
    ...now that you mention it, I don't see a whole lot of cab-overs these days.

Kinda sorta on topic: I absolutely love how Transformission approached their Menasor from an engineering perspective. That's exactly how I'd want an MP G1 Menasor to work out. The combiner mode ends up "too small," but the alt and individual robot sizes are on point. I hope it succeeds, because I want an encore. One with the classic 80's sports cars I grew up drooling over. :D 

I think TW hit on a good size with their Devy. In my mind's eye (and probably a few frames of animation), Devastator was the largest combiner, and Predaking was right around the same size. So with Transformission on the low and and Constructor at the top end, I'd be happy with anything in between for Defensor ( <- on topic) and the rest. Just stay true to the original nonsensical design, make it quality, and I'm in. Probably.

11. RegnumIrae

RegnumIrae Well-Known Member

They are not going to suddenly scale to TW's Devy. Why would they do that? It'll just be the same scale as Gravity Builder and TFM and Warbo's combiners. Thankfully.

12. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Agree, and glad TW is working on other combiners that (I'm assuming) will scale with their Devastator. FT's Dev also looks to be of a similar size, though I think we're in a long wait for that.

It's nice to finally have some MP scaled combiners.

13. dragontype

dragontype Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really like the scale that the Warbo/GT/TFM combiners are at. Nice to handle, looks good. I'm not that stuck on having the combiners be true to size in comparison to how they looked on the cartoon, or being "true MP" scale. I want the best interpretation of any given combiner character that I think will look good in my display. Assuming the quality to value ratio is good as well.

If this new Defensor shakes out how Gravity Builder did, it'll probably be my favorite combiner.

I just wish GT would get going with the Aerialbots while TFM focuses on Protectobots.

• Like Like x 1
  14. G.I.EDDIE

News Credits:
    TFM's Menasor isn't in the same size category as Warbotron or Gravity Builder. His figures are very much MP sized 100%. Though not at all MP aesthetically.

15. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Individual bots, yes. But not the combined mode. That's definitely in the same category as Warbotron and Gravity builder as they're all pretty much the same height. I would have been fine with partsformed thighs similar to Constructor to get Menasor's scale to be more MP. Or some other solution to get him to be the proper (for MP) height.

As a primarily MP collector, I actually like the aesthetic of TFM's Stuntacons. I know they're IDW inspired, but I'm ok with that.

16. Gen jay

Gen jay Well-Known Member

There's already some G1 defensor out there so I'm open to something that is more creative with GT. If the quality and aesthetic is similar to GB or TFM Havoc I'm in.

17. G.I.EDDIE

News Credits:
    You can't have both, at least not without a bunch of otherwise pointless kibble. I mean, the bots AND alts are MP sized. The combined mode is the sum of it's parts. Personally, I think that's the coolest part. "It is what it is"

• Like Like x 2
  18. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

TW Constructor pulled it off without the kibble. In the source material, whether it be the G1 cartoon or the comics, the combiners were always larger than the sum of their parts. I'm just saying you actually can have your cake and eat it too if a manufacturer does it right.

19. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Without kibble? Toyworld's Long Haul comes with more combiner kibble in the box, than Long Haul parts in the box!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  20. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they wanted to update Blades then something more like Evac would have been a better choice - like an Augusta for example.

If they wanted to update Vortex then something like a Blackhawk would make sense as the cartoon model is pretty much a Blackhawk anyway.
    Though good luck trying to find reference material for a Kaman battle Helicopter as I actually wrote to the company and that said they can't find any record of it - I had to tell them that they made the thing and when and they were like shocked.

To be fair to them the whole lot were retro-fitted by the marine corp from battle helicopters into an approximation of a Kaman Seasprite. so I guess a Seasprite is the best they could expect to do with Vortex short of changing him into the more cartoon specific helicopter. (rather than the Kaman Helicopter used in RID/Car Robots and for the original toy) - I guess at a stretch he could be an Apache and at least then they could make a remould/repaint as Spinister too. But Movie Universe Spinister is a Black-Blackhawk so I'd be Ok with that too.