Generation Toy GT-8 Guardian (Defensor/Protectobots)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We are discussing the choices for the vehicles that form Defensor, and those were based on a toy that came first. The argument was made that they were massivly out of scale because it came from a cartoon, but that cartoon design was based on a toy that came first. The original toy designer is the one who picked the vehicles and their places as limbs.

2. dragontype

dragontype Well-Known Member

I was looking at the image on the first page... Does anybody know if GT confirmed this is part of a combiner?

The figure looks pretty massive. Wondering if maybe it's not a combiner and a stand-alone figure.

3. mephinc

mephinc Well-Known Member

Sweeetness! Thanks

4. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Considering their combiner-heavy offerings lately and that it's a chopper often used for rescue/ambulance operations----who else would it be? Most other helicopter TF's are military attack choppers.

5. Darcemeus

Darcemeus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still doesn't change the fact that the vehicles are massively out of scale with each other. And yes so might a lot of the other combiners' components be similarly out of scale but none of them absolutely shatter the suspension of disbelief like defensor

6. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    You guys keeps saying that. A motorcycle is A LOT closer in size to a car, an ambulance, or even a helicopter than a jeep is to a space shuttle, but we don't have these sorts of discussions about Bruticus.

Bottom line, screw Rook, and screw alt mode scale. Groove is a motorcycle and Groove is a leg or the whole set is a pass.

• Like Like x 13
  7. bearsuit

bearsuit Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wish I could like this more than once

• Like Like x 4
  8. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    That. Anyone who thinks Defensor has the most egregious scale issues, has never been up close to a space shuttle or Concorde.

A Concorde is over 10x the size of a Harrier like Slingshot. (Going by empty weight---which IMHO is the best way to compare sizes of planes, if they are of similar construction).

9. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    I've always dreamed of a motorcycle Groove kept in scale with a portion of Hot Spot being used to bulk up the Groove leg.

Similarly I've thought of a portion of either Onslaught or Blast Off being used to bulk up the Swindle/Jeep leg to better scale that leg to Brawl.

10. Darcemeus

News Credits:
    I've been up close to both and I've always thought of Blastoff as a mini-shuttle rather than a full sized one whereas Silverbolt the suspension of disbelief still works because there's just so much that would have to compact itself to become the nice thick torso of Superion that we all know. Groove, a tiny motorcycle making a full on leg of Defensor? Come on there's barely enough parts there to make a humanish-sized bot no way is there enough to suddenly triple in size to become a leg. Groove can turn into a gun, become a chest piece, be updated to something that's not a tiny motorcycle, or get lost. I'd much rather have Rook as a leg even if he wasn't an original member.

11. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    That makes zero sense. BlastOff is a mini shuttle, that happens to look exactly like the one and only actual one? So is Silverbolt a mini Concorde too? (Because Prime can straddle him in jet mode).

That's really stretching things, to try to explain away how BlastOff might be in scale....

Might as well say that 4 of the Protectobots are mini rescue vehicles, but Groove is full-sized. Problem solved. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  12. Darcemeus

News Credits:
    Like I said Silverbolt would compact to end up becoming the Torso, as for Prime straddling him in the cartoon well that's just your typical 80's terrible production values and scale errors. As for Blastoff you can blame a shitton of scifi shows and general schlock for me being able to view Blastoff as a mini shuttle as a kid, and with smaller reentry vehicles being developed recently by private companies that just keeps reinforcing my belief that Blastoff could be a minishuttle even if his original depiction in the cartoon was that of a full sized one. (Besides Astrotrain turns into both a steam engine and a shuttle and neither of those are anywhere near the same size either.)

13. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    And Megatron could turn into a gun that could be held by Starscream, or by a human. And Astrotrain doesn't just turn into a shuttle, he apparently turns into a shuttle big enough inside for the Constructicons to form Devastator. And dare I mention the episode where Hoist was driving Huffer?

So yeah, the G1 cartoon was often horribly inconsistent when it came to depicting sizes, but you're never going to get anything close to accurate alt-mode scaling, so why fight it?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hellion42

Hellion42 Unreliable News Source

News Credits:
    IMG_3961.JPG

All of the scramble city limbs are about the same size. Same with the torsos. Scale doesn't come into it. At all. The rationalizations all fall apart soon enough. A motorcycle is a leg and a space shuttle is an arm and a tractor trailer is the same size as a Concorde and it all fits together just dandy. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  15. MechaToast

MechaToast G1? No thanks.

Just because a bad decision was made 30 years ago to make a motorcycle a leg, doesn't mean that same bad decision needs to be carried forever forward.

• Like Like x 4
  16. wardamnpjm

wardamnpjm Well-Known Member

Um....transformers are fiction. It's a sci-fi toy line. Understanding all of that makes it ok for a motorcycle to be a combiner limb me thinks! Personally I'm good with Groove being the leg....well,um,because that's what he's supposed to be in the....cough..cough,um...fiction! By all means though...Carry on! :p 

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  17. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax FINAL ATTACKRIDE - MU-MU-MU-MUTED!

News Credits:
    Ya know, I agree mostly with the scale conversation in that it doesn't make any sense. But let me tell you, when I'm playing with these toys, I don't give a rat's ass (mainly because rat's have tiny asses and therefore not in scale with my give-a-fucko-meter) because dang, they sure are fun aren't they?

I love GT's work. Bring it on!

• Like Like x 6
  18. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Sums up my thoughts.

19. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    That is precisely what it means.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hellion42

Hellion42 Unreliable News Source

News Credits:
    Not necessarily. Transformers have been updated plenty over the years. But for those that want their G1 nostalgia itch scratched, reworking established canon isn't really an option. We don't really know yet if this is going to be straight G1, stylized, or updated. I know which one I want. :thumb