Generation Toy GT-2 RE Tyrant (IDW Bomber Megatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by o1dpain1ess, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Usually yeah, but he is pretty dead in IDW1.

2. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Every time I see "Bomber Megatron" on the front page, I get disappointed that it's just this one and not an update on GCreations'. :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  3. Grimlocks Brain

Grimlocks Brain Well-Known Member

20210823_223713.jpg Getting close to being done packing up my collection for a move and thought I'd snap this pic before packing him up. Original release of the figure. I never got into the comics until phase two, but this looked so good I couldn't pass it up when it came out 3 years ago. Think I got it from Baba with and ebay sale for around $80ish. Man, those seemed to be the glory days of getting figures on the cheap. I really hope Generation Toy comes through and gets replacement parts for everyone that got the reissue, so that everyone can enjoy the reissue as much as I've enjoyed having this in my collection.

• Like Like x 4
  4. The Allspice

The Allspice Seasoning is the right of all sentient beings!

Ebay:
    Has anyone not been able to get any? ShowZ told me they were sending parts a few weeks ago.

5. Autobrat Leader

Autobrat Leader Bratwurst in Disguise

News Credits:
    They shipped me parts last week. I think I posted it on this thread. No idea what the replacement is other than Show.Z confirmed it's the same clear plastic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

i wonder if the hole is bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

8. BulletSponge

BulletSponge A guy with way too many toys...

All of the black parts are made with what I'd guess is a 5% transparent mix. You can only tell when you hold thin parts up to the light. WHY they thought this was a good idea still baffles all of us...

The problem is that transparent plastic is inherently brittle and while the overall quality is still good, there are MANY cases of broken ankles.
    Luckily this seems to be the only known issue on the figure.
    I got mine through ShowZ and my replacement parts are already on the way. So get this through a trusted vendor.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

Jebus, if I'd known I was going to have this many issues I'd have saved the $100. Both ankles broken and now that I've fiddled with it more they never even put screws in one of the forearm cover plates, the thing the arm cannon plugs into? It's just held on with friction, and it even has the screw covers on but no screws. What the hell. How is the QC so bad on this thing?

Baba, in theory, is going to get me the legs I need. They seem unaware of the overall issue and are still trying to figure out what I'm communicating to be sure of what I even need. I can't even get the calve screws to come out, the ones up by the knees are in so hard that trying to unscrew them is just stripping them. Will have to take apart the waist and swap entire new legs in I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BulletSponge

BulletSponge A guy with way too many toys...

That sucks
    How did you find out they never put screws in? Did it just fall apart? I am going to go check mine in a few.

11. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine came with those pieces in the back position that blocks elbow articulation. So I finally messed with it to figure out how to shift them forward (and they don't seem to lock there???) and in the course of moving it the one panel just popped right on off. No screws at all. Weirdest damn thing. This is on top of one of the sliding parts of the cannon not being screwed in fully so the screw head was sticking out enough to hit plastic and not go back fully, and the calve screws by the knees being on so damn tight I'm stripping them trying to remove them. If I'm going to swap out the calves due to the broken ankle posts I'm going to have to swap both legs at the hip since at least that is a single screw I can get moving. Whole damn thing is cursed.
    20210825_182413 resized.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. Acayas

Acayas Well-Known Member

An unexpected delivery from Show.Z came in today. Unexpected because I got no shipping notification for this replacement part. They sent me both the left and the right side panel of the legs. So when I get another breakage I hope it will be the other leg. ;) 

Technical details:
    Interestingly one replacement part is much less transparent than the other. First I thought one is from the reissue and the other is from the original but the flashlight test showed still transparent but to a much lesser degree.

Generation Toy GT-3 Megatron IDW replacemnet part - Kopie.jpg

There is no thread in the ankle-joining-axle-whatever-you-wanna-call-it and I think I will look for another scew or hone the borehole a tiny bit.

Generation Toy GT-3 Megatron IDW Gegenüberstellung - Kopie.jpg

Aesthetical detail:
    My batteries have arrived and when I am going to put them in I will paint the inside of the head matte black the stop the bleeding through of the LED.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Autobrat Leader

News Credits:
    Now that you took it apart, any guesses what causes them to break? Just bad plastic?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Acayas

Acayas Well-Known Member

I can only quote myself from the first damage evaluation and yes the borehole is definitely plain on the inside so they forced the screw into the plastic.

Perhaps I should heat the screw up with a lighter that it melts its way into the plastic. (Should I put that in blue?)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Autobrat Leader

News Credits:
    So a bigger screw to bite in will probably crack the replacement. I wonder if the toothpick trick will work.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Acayas

Acayas Well-Known Member

A bigger screw will definitely do that. I thought about a thinner one to take the pressure away from the tube. But using a slightly bigger drill bit to widen the borehole so that the original screw will fit a bit better will do too. I will probably do a test run on the broken part, not to ruin my replacement, that would be awkward.

What is the toothpic trick?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Autobrat Leader

News Credits:
    Basically fill the hole with tiny shards of toothpick and glue. When it dries, you can bore a small hole into the wood and drive a screw into that. I've fixed stripped holes in other materials but never done it in plastic, so I'm not giving any advice here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sixshot666666

Sixshot666666 Ninja Consultant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is there a way to tell the difference between an original and reissue by the box? I need an original

19. Nemesis Compactor

Nemesis Compactor Well-Known Member

The original shows every lunar eclipse in eBay at three time the price of this

20. Acayas

Acayas Well-Known Member

Look at @daimchocs pictures of the original box.

The box of the reissue has no sleeve cover and no foam inside just a plastic inlay. The new box cover has a black stripe in the upper part with the name in golden letters and it says "GT-3". The original is labeled as "GT-2".