Generation Toy GT-2 RE Tyrant (IDW Bomber Megatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by o1dpain1ess, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely loved the look of GCreations Meg's (I have their Optimus) but at this point, I'm pretty much writing it off as "not gonna happen" The cardboard cutouts they teased in 2017 were a pretty disappointing effort given how long the figure has been in progress. GC haven't updated their Facebook since 2017. Their Weibo account is still active but there's nothing about their IDW stuff. All their posts relate to their Bayverse Grimlock. From what I can see, they're working on a Bayformer movie line and the cost's and complexity of that are blowing out massively and slowing things down.
    G-Creation Movie Series - Project G (Movie Grimlock)
    Add that to their IDW Prowl being a poor performer (he's still easily available and I think is on deep discount in a few places) and I don't think we'll ever see their IDW Megatron. :( 
    I think, at this stage, I'm gonna give up on GC and pick up the Gen Toys Megatron. There are a few TaoBao sellers that have it listed for under AU$100 - hopefully at least one still has it in stock.
    It looks decent enough next to GC Ultra Max. I'm gonna cut my losses at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

My bad. I looked up the height of Star Saber and Megatron should be similar. They just look taller and more imposing than they are. That won’t scale at all, no.

What I did. I’ve been waiting for GC Megatron for about as long as I’ve been collecting, but I think Godot will show up before that guy does. Then I saw a Generation Toy Megatron locally so I tried it and it was a nice surprise.

Mind you I’m not scale-sensitive, but these two complement each other well stylistically despite being from different lines, perhaps even better than GT Op with GT Tyrant. The latter is solid, beautifully painted and menacing in hand. His facesculpt is great too with the subtle smirk. Were GC to finally appear now I might say ”too late, b****”...no, I’d buy him lightning fast, but chances are I’d still prefer GT.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

What a shame. They were the only ones making super accurate MP scale IDW bots. MMC kind of does it, but their bots are mostly CHUG scaled

4. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love my G creations Prime and it drives me nuts that generations toy's megs is shorter. You're right though. I should revisit that again and see if I'm still not interested.

5. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huh- I thought I'd seen photos before where Prime was clearly taller. Wierd.

6. ByLaw77

ByLaw77 Well-Known Member

Excellent Godot reference.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Derpmagnus

Derpmagnus Active Member

Let’s riot till they make it happen! Haha. “Give is a thirteen inch tall idw megatron or we walk!!!”

• Like Like x 1
  8. Derpmagnus

Derpmagnus Active Member

I’m quite scale sensitive, something about non-canonical heights that are too short rather than too tall “really grind my gears”-Bruticus (FOC). So it would be great if that flame toys megs was a 12 incher. Then that’d be fantastic! Otherwise there’s not much in the way of hope for an in scale megs

• Like Like x 1
  9. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    MMC stuff can be great but only some of it is "super accurate" and none of it is MP scale.
    GC had a fair number of silhouettes for some interesting figures but I don't think IDW was working our for them sales-wise. When you combine that with IDW abandoning that continuity and rebooting this year, they probably don;t see it as a winning plan.
    And I have to say, I haven't read the new IDW series but the art is nowhere near as good. I personally have zero interest in any toys based off these new comics.

I'm generally pretty particular about scale as well. But these guys are going in my Optimus Megatron collection. And for that, I need them to be roughly the same height. GT Megs and GC Prime look close enough to fudge it with some bent knee posing,

• Like Like x 2
  10. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Update: Sourced a GT Tyrant from TaoBao. I was unable to purchase directly due to unfortunate naming convention on the listings, so I'm going through an agent. (TaoBao blocks any international sales that have "red flag words" in it such as "Transformers" or "Hasbro". Turns out "Megatron" is one of those words)
    I haven't had a shipping estimate to get it to me in Australia yet, but so far I've paid US$66. Expecting another $10-$20 dollars on top for shipping. That's a pretty good price to me for this, and it will be nice to finally have this IDW pairing completed. Unfortunately, GCreations have missed out on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    uhm, somehow, I think a post is errant here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

8346702B-BE31-47B7-A00B-877EB9C199D3.jpeg 95C55F95-B71F-4D3C-9C13-38DCFD4A7EAD.jpeg
    Posed them better and they are the same height. You can adjust their necks and gain or lose a few mm, and you can mistransform GC Ops feet to give him heels so he’s taller, but in normal state they are at eye level with one another.

Which may or may not be more than you can stand in scale inaccuracy, but at least Megatron isn’t shorter.

And, you can always pose them like in Chaos Theory :) 

Edit: I’m an idiot. Mistransform *Megatrons* feet, pull his neck up a little and voilá.
    9414EBDF-E556-43C0-B01D-822F3A32418A.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Derpmagnus

Derpmagnus Active Member

Sounds like a darn good plan.

14. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sold this guy a while back and honestly I regret that! Such an awesome figure, I hope I can find another one but most places don't have him and eBay seems rather expensive. I miss having a large Bomber Megatron lol.

15. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

Daban just KOed Op-Ex, maybe they will do Tyrant too? If so I might have to get one as I sold mine hoping for Gcreation to make their version. Things don't look like they are going well for GC though.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I really love this guy, but does anyone want him off me? I'm selling him at a pretty decent price. He's just not as fun as I want.

17. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

All their IDW stuff is still on the works, Drift is coming next after Movie Grimlock.

18. The Rhinestone Ronin

The Rhinestone Ronin Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I might be interested. What do you want for him?

19. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Meh. At this point, that ship has sailed for me. I bought the GT Megatron and he's fine for my Optimus and Megatron collection.
    IDW continuity has rebooted, I'm not even reading the comics anymore and I'm far more interested in Legends scale stuff that better scratches the G1 itch for me. I may even sell off what IDW stuff I have because it's become just another small and incomplete grouping of random bots.
    I'm big into completionism and if I collect something, I want a pretty comprehensive range in that collection. The random "bits and pieces" nature of IDW figures (good IDW figures, I don't include most of the mediocre Hasbro efforts) and the fact that it's kind of drying up has dropped it off my radar. It was cool while it lasted but I've moved on. Hopefully, GC and other companies (MMC?) still keep doing this stuff for those who want it, but it simply lacked staying power for me personally.
    But then I've always been an unashamedly G1-centric collector. IDW's appeal was that it scratched that G1 itch with a slightly more modern take.

But in the end, for me, I prefer the pure original over the diluted copy:eek: :p . (just kidding, IDW is and was cool, it's just not really for me.)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cynicron

Cynicron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Well, I can safely say I'm still interested in more IDW bots. Speaking of which, I'm in the market for this fella to finally finish off the Op Ex pair. I'm eyeing Robotoybase but I was curious if I could get it cheaper around here.