Generation Selects Star Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Aigis, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Did a search and didn't see a thread for him. If there is one feel free to move/merge

He's pretty cool. I loved the POTP Optimus figure and I like this version better.
    20200220_140155.jpg
    Truck mode looks pretty much the same.
    20200220_140635.jpg
    The cab now resembles the G1 toy and kinda the Action Master. I really love the way the smaller robot looks.
    20200220_142921.jpg
    Combined is really cool, I love the shoulder turrets and the new headsculpt.
    The gold chest piece is kinda hard to get tabbed in sometimes. I also have a little trouble getting the Matrix in the chest.

• Like Like x 14
  2. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    Did they use stickers or are those tampographs?

3. Aigis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The stripe on the trailer are stickers that you have to put on yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aigis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    A lot of remolding here
    20200220_181133.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

Has anyone figured out a good way to get the gold chest piece to tab in better? I am using blu tack and the helps a little but it still pops out way too easily. I flipped the hinge to see if that helped but it didn't make much a difference.

6. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually decided to fix mine just last week. I put some nail polish on the joint that connects the star to the torso and it sits fine now (finally; I had enough of that star popping out all the time).

7. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually have to open the chest panels a tiny bit, place the star and then press firmly on the outside of the chest panels squeezing the star into place. I also switched the hinge and it made no difference, but I've been able to get it to work repeatedly doing this "trick".

• Like Like x 1
  8. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great review! My main interest was for the inner bot, but it’s not quite what I was hoping for, overall looks like a great chug stand in for star saber.

9. Aigis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I really love this figure, so much fun to play with.
    20200220_221646.jpg 20200226_141542.jpg 20200226_142957.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe it's just the TF-Safari batch but my basic mode Optimus' legs won't stay on. At all. The ball joints at the hips are ridiculously loose and fall off whenever posed.

He holds together okay-ish in combined mode although the chest star is a LITTLE fiddly (and the gun tolerances feel off as well and fall apart easily).

I regret getting the upgrade kits, honestly although the ankle supports are probably worth it just to know he won't be taking a tumble anytime soon.

This is a mediocre Optimus Prime in the PotP version and the retools here LOOK COOL but don't really address the underlying flawed figure.

I'd honestly have preferred Star Convoy be made from any of the other Optimus Primes produced since Classics. This is just a fiddly mess that doesn't want to stay together even though he admittedly DOES look pretty cool from some angles when he does stay together.

Don't bother trying the Ocean Decals like I did and I definitely don't recommend even applying his trailer sticker since he only looks good in a mode where you won't see it.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Mine has finally arrived from China/TF Safari!

I passed on the POTP Leaders because I didn't really like the execution of the idea; every figure felt overly flawed. I initially passed on Star Convoy because I frankly balked at the price for what it was, and a lone bone tossed out from Battlestars wasn't enough to incent me. However, with Super Megatron coming and a price drop of more than 25%, I bit. And I'm still undecided on him ultimately.

Mine has very loose hip joints, which combined with very tight thigh joints meant it took almost nothing to get the hips to pop off. Future dosage fixed that. Mine also has some big problems keeping the "Star" on the chest plugged in, though with some finagling I've always managed to get it in well enough, and I can move the armature on a bypass if need be.

It's been a long time since I've had a figure that feels like there's so many trade-offs, I'm undecided on him, so it's more of a pro/con list I think.

Pro
    • Looks like Star Convoy, well articulated like modern figures
    • The transformation is more intuitive then I had figured, I was expecting either more of a mess, or more of a panel nightmare
    • More locks in then I was expecting for greater stability; Convoy's feet into his fake chest, Star Convoys feet into the legs, the shoulder gun platform into the shoulder. Even the trailer has a lot of solid connections and is surprisingly solid.
    • I really like both head sculpts

Con
    • Vehicle mode is a mess. I'm not expecting perfection, but this is a stretch to say the least.
    • The "Star" seems like it could've been executed better, it barely fits and likes to pop out quickly.
    • Oddly enough, one of my ankles for Star Convoy is a ratchet, the other isn't. So, one of them has to be wrong.
    • Convoy is a mess with three sets of truck windows - the pseudo chest, the alt mode windows, and Star Convoy windows. He has two sets of smokestacks - alt mode and robot mode sets.
    • It probably took me 10 minutes to get the Silver Matrix into the chest. Gah!

Also, as an odd aside, I got two sets of instructions. I'll have my friend decal the trailer when we get together next for that kind of thing.

Netflix/Siege Megatron comparison. Starless Convoy and Megatron.jpg
    With my other recent Prime, Cyberverse version. Star Convoy Netflix Megatron Cyberverse Optimus Prime.jpg
    Boxart pose! Star Convoy - Boxart Pose 1.jpg
    Weapons aimed! Star Convoy - Aiming.jpg
    The rifle is blast effect compatible
    Star Convoy - Firing.jpg
    This happens too often.
    Star Convoy - Star Popped.jpg
    Alternatively, this is very stable, just not plugged in.
    Star Convoy - Star unplugged.jpg

Convoy denies having "Window Enlargement Surgery" says he's just growing into his new body, other sources claim to have seen the scars!
    Bustimus Prime.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I own this figure and so glad i have him. Yes i own several optimus prime figures already but to me this 1 is different. Mine is still in the box but it is open to display when i want too.

13. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mine came today from TFSafari. His chest emblem needs some work to stay up and I got 2 sets of instructions, but no decals. Other than that I am quite happy with him. He looks great!

14. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20210126_165504.jpg 20210126_165637.jpg
    Just got this upgrade sword for Star Convoy and I'm digging it the most.

15. WereDragon EX

WereDragon EX Well-Known Member

No decals? That's odd. I suppose you could submit some claim to the seller for missing parts or something?

16. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not a big enough deal to me to go through all of that. I don't apply stickers anyway. I can't stand them.

17. Thinkinboutbots

Thinkinboutbots Well-Known Member

Mine just came in from TFSafari. I think it has two left feet? The odd part is they're labeled differently, so it's not the same part being used twice.

Attached Files:

18. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Looks like the feet are swapped.

19. Thinkinboutbots

Thinkinboutbots Well-Known Member

It's easier to see when trying to stand him up. His right foot is angled to rest on the ground for his natural A-stance. His left foot has the same angle, so it points away from the ground.

EDIT: I plan on contacting Hasbro Customer Service on Monday.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it does...I think the right foot regardless of number, should have an “R” on it(at least this is how it is on POTP Prime), both of yours look like they have L’s.