Generation Selects Barricade

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PrinceDarian07, Oct 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyber Silver

Cyber Silver Obsession personified

YouTube:
    Although I think G1-ifying movie characters is a cool idea, that is not the mindset we should have about it. There's no cosmic scorecard keeping track of how many G1 characters Bay "ruined" and how many movie characters should also be messed with. That's a very petty way of looking at it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Luke Hostad

Luke Hostad Well-Known Member

Glad I’m not the only one! I’ve never understood the hype around beast wars. A* for the balls to use CGI like they did but even with the story it was just meh!
    The Datsun is the autobot version of the seekers, it’ll be milked till the next trilogy series. I fully agree with all your points. I just find it frustrating that they have a cool character and like you said a fresh new head would’ve gone along way. Oh well.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    We don't know since the reviewer got it a...different way...than most and likely without any packaging.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

That was (what I thought was obvious) sarcasm, not to be taken literally. My point is not to blend the universes, as I've said in other posts. The aesthetics of each should be maintained for continuity. I personally don't like what Bay did with the G1 characters, so that sentiment comes out in my comments. Regardless, a Datsun-clone Barricade fits the G1 style of Earthrise far better than does the more alien, monstrous Bayverse Barricade.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Indeed, much of G1 is garbage. Personally, I really dislike the concept of Headmasters and Pretenders, and pretty much ignore that part of the story. Allow me to sanitize and expound upon my comment:

"Yes" to the Mustang idea-- it's a relevant aspect of the character that would distinguish it from the Datsun triplets. "No" to the Bayverse design elements, as they don't mesh with the G1 aesthetic of the Earthrise line.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

Well maybe not the long arms specifically (bad example) or even the junky bayverse aesthetes at all.

I'm talking more about keeping specific key points from his general character design and giving them the G1 treatment.

Hell, everything I want from a G1-ified movie Barricade already exist in some way on existing G1 characters and I can damn near create my perfect Barricade by just mixing and matching their traits.

-Prowl's torso, or any other forward facing car chest for that mattrer (but a mustang, hell make it an 1980's Mustang to make it the correct time period)
    -Toon Redalert's arms. The wheel shoulder with the vehicle door hanging off of the side of the arm.
    -The other set of vehicle wheels mounted to the wrists/forarms.
    -Scourge's (the sweeps) hands, not outright claws (depending on art) but definitely sharp.
    -Mixmaster's head with silver forehead crest and gold face.
    -Regular sized feet instead of the Datsun car end boat shoes.

Yeah, as well as the dark blue from evergreen/TLK/ the accents he had in 07, I hate the lilac... At the very least that could have been dark blue.

• Like Like x 4
  8. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    I'll probably still "cop" :confused2 this, but I won't lie, I wish they had kept his windows/shins some shade of purple like the SIEGE version, I really liked that aesthetic, even if it's not what a real cop would likely do...

• Like Like x 2
  9. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    Nope. I still cannot get over how cheap and disgusting those clip on wheels look.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

Honestly, I think all you'd need to do to make this design more movie Barricade-ish enough (at least for me) is to swing the door wings back and hinge them up at a diagonal angle, make the shoulder wheels hinge upwards above the shoulders instead of just being directly mounted to the shoulders, and keep the kinda goatee the Guido Guidi art this is based on had, to kinda vaguely resemble the vaguely-facial-hair looking stuff movie Barricade had going on.

I still like it being on an existing body type so I'm fine with it otherwise being a Prowl/Smokescreen redeco (particularly Smokescreen, because the racing front end and spoiler on the Smokescreen version kinda recall the Saleen upgrades the movie Mustang had), although I wouldn't mind it being that same body type but an 80s Mustang instead of a Datsun as long as it stayed pretty much the same body type with the few changes I mentioned above.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  11. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

Oh, those are quite an unfortunate sight, now that you mention it. Most of him still looks good, though.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MrLemming

MrLemming Well-Known Member

They could have at least painted the front wheel black so it blends in with the tire like the back...

13. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Barry looks great. Always liked him being a redeco of Smokescreen ever since Guido Guidi's G1 design for police Barricade was revealed. Definitely will pick him up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mondo

mondo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it but he should have been an '80s Mustang.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    He’s just a repaint character outside of the movies. He’s not going to get his own new mold.

16. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    I still find myself liking how this guy looks even if his face is kinda fat.

17. LeonSteamhawk

LeonSteamhawk Micromaster

I wonder if it would be possible to kitbash the two figures together. I like most of the Selects figure, but I prefer the head and arms of the Siege one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Proxima Omicron

Proxima Omicron Well-Known Member

the pcp redeco may aswell be pointblank or drift
    cus y'know, they love to do characters i actually want, but never can get since they are us exclusives and hasbro is too recluse to try for the international market, and amazon are a bunch of greedy douchebags

19. Citranite

Citranite Shockwave's Bae

YouTube:
    I grew up with the bayverse, so this is right up my alley. And even though I grew up with it and like the designs, I like the g1 asthetic more, so the best thing out of bayverse getting a toy is cool. What else were they gonna do with the mold besides blue Bluestreak or obscure diaclone repaints?

A slightly remolded headdculpt would have been cool, and a mustang. But honestly, this is fine. And looks incredible, at least to me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dexatronic

Dexatronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    needs the purple, punish and enslave and shoulders painted black with gold shoulder cannons and he would be great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.