General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Some kind of brace that hangs over the trailer maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    These were spotted on eBay even before Go Better updated their site. Blue version of Go Better's Sideswipe spoilers for Netflix Deep Cover (there's also all the other colors from before available). Go Better's main downside is price as these sell for around half the figure cost.

007n3N9sgy1gpkm35wrqtj30ku0p0n05.jpg

The spoilers may stay on for transformation, but may partially restrict knee movements.
    007n3N9sgy1gpkm35zfflj30ku0p0n6r.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Mister D

I don't understand how these cost this much. It's half the price of the Inferno kit!

4. Phoebvs

Phoebvs Well-Known Member

I can think of two non-exclusive options:
    1) there is a minimum production price per item (the workshop spends no less than X resources disregarding the size of item);
    2) people are willing to pay, thus they keep a certain price.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

I've got a couple of the 115 stuff, mainly for ss dotm optimus. They're good stuff so its a shame to hear these ones are such a bust. I'll be waiting on the go ones, got those for grapple and they're really nice, so willing to pimp a little for inferno, being he's one of my childhood favs.

6. ziltama

News Credits:
    Has anyone tried KFC hands before? Do the fingers also fall apart rather easily? I believe all the recent ET01 hand kits on eBay are actually repurposed KFC hands.

The 1st 115 Kit I tried for GU OP was actually pretty decent outside of the trash feet covers. That was one of their first kits. I then skipped a bunch and got more of the recent ones...which were all terrible. I swear they must use the same printing facility as Matrix Workshop: same (grossly) oversized peg and undersized port issues. Their own pieces don't fit with each other.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Go Better makes some of the best add-on kits around The fit is usually good, they paint their stuff, and you have to look closely to tell it's 3D-printed. They also use pin hinges on a lot of their parts and come up with clever solutions, like how Sunstreaker's spoilers fold around to become forearm fillers. I'm definitely holding out for the Go Better Inferno kit.

That said, their Sideswipe spoiler was basic and expensive. Nonnef's are cheaper and they actually move so they don't restrict the knees. I'm hoping Nonnef makes a blue one for Netflix Deep Cover, but you'd be better off buying a white one and painting it yourself over buying the Go Better one.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the 115 Stuff for DoTM optimus too. It's really good. In some ways better than the DNA kit, which I subsequently got.

This, however, wa sa complete mess.

Also it turns out that Tformers said the 3rd set I linked above, which is on eBay, is the Studio GX / Go Better set and is labeled as such.
    Transformers Kingdom Inferno Upgrade Kit From Go Better

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have KFC hands for Star Saber. They were an essential pickup for the rest of the Star Saber kit. They hold together really well.

10. Mister D

By any chance did you get their Prime jet pack? Was curious about that

11. wheeljackfan16

wheeljackfan16 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was thinking something that slid in where that shield detaches on the rear of the trailer, and maybe have pivoting armatures so that the trailer can still unfold, albeit with access to the ramp blocked. I never got the Amazon POTP Nemesis or the Netflix one, so I don't know what I would be working with in regards to those cannons for extensions, but I could probably figure something out for cannons on the trailer, even if I had to make entirely new cannons.

12. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    Prime, or Primal? If you mean Primal, I ordered it at TFSafari, but I'm still waiting for it to actually come in and for them to send it to me. I could take or leave the jet pack, but that chest filler is essential. It's got lots of bumps and hinges, but looks 100x better than that huge gap. If you mean Prime I wasn't aware they did a jetpack for him. I got this backpack kit for him, though, that unfolds and fills the gaps between his arms in truck mode. It's a bit pricey for what it is, so I haven't been able to pull the trigger on extras for dead Prime and Shattered Glass Prime, but I love it on my regular Earthrise Prime. Does the job great.

13. ziltama

News Credits:
    Go Better doesn't have a Prime jetpack. They did the fairly impressive transformable backpack / cab filler, which is one of our favorite add-ons. Again, main drawback is price.
    [​IMG]

Hasbro did Sideswipe's backpack as part of Centurion kit which fits perfectly and a little better on ER OP.

Matrix Workshop did a Roller jetpack / backpack for OP. I liked how it has actual rolling wheels but failed to work out of the box due to their usual QC blunders: peg oversized and all the ports are undersized. As a jetpack, it's really clunky and annoying to use. You have to take off the buttflap if you want a proper fit or rotate the buttflap and have it look really awkward. As a Roller alternative, it's not as bad as long as you fix the ports with a 5mm drill bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not usable at all until the 5mm peg (not shown in this pic) is filed down (precision file is handy) and fixing (all 7) undersized ports with a 5mm drill bit. This was the last MW kit we bought and not going to buy another one again.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mister D

Damn. I could take pics but I'm not sure that would help. Ah well, thanks for the thoughts.

OK I guess I meant the backpack. For some reason thought it was a jetpack. So the point being it is good but pricey?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ziltama

News Credits:
    $13-16 for one multi-hinged piece. There are some US based eBay sellers who have the red version (ER and Netflix OP have the same red). If you want dark gray or purple, you have to import.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    Yeah. You can see from @ziltama 's pic in post #1053 how it looks in both robot mode on dead and Netflix Prime, and in truck mode on Shattered Glass Prime. It makes his backpack slightly bigger, but it looks fairly cartoon accurate. It uses the 5mm port on his back to plug in, and there are small tabs that sit in the gaps behind his shoulder joints. Then when you go to truck mode the sides fold down, and the they double hinge back around and meet up with the tabs overlapping and tiny tabs slipping into the small gap at the corner of his elbows, between the shoulder and forearm. It neatly fills in the gap between his arms (that his instructions would tell you to fold up his oversized rifle and jam in there), and it makes the truck look so much more cohesive.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SomethingJ

SomethingJ Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I could ship you my canons, if you're interested in the project. My concern being that I don't know how many you could actually sell. Seems like not that many people got their hands on this one. Let me know if you're interested.

18. SomethingJ

SomethingJ Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I'm three deep on the backpacks. It's not cheap, but if you're trying to get your Prime right, it's highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  19. John TL

John TL Well-Known Member

Is this the 115 Studio YYW-11 Upgrade kit? Did you find the knee joints seem looser or the same after installing? Any negatives with the extended knee joints?

20. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

There's that many 3D printing upgrade companies out there, I struggle to keep track of who has done what. I don't think I have any matrix workshop stuff, the white pegs kept putting me off, and I'll certainly avoid them if their tolerances are so out of whack. I've got quite a few Shockwave Lab stuff, that's generally been good for me.

I love that backpack piece for Prime. It makes a huge difference. Pricey, but worth it if you're pimping your optimus. I'd get it for SG Prime too if it was cheaper. Love how it transforms without needing to be removed.

• Like Like x 1