General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

Lovely. Inferno set seemed to take a while but I guess they were waiting to produce the right color match.
    The BW Megatron set looks good.

2. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Thank you for bringing that up. I should clarify, I'd always used the Dr. Wu Grimlock hammer in conjunction with Perfect Effect combiner hands, wrapped the fingers around the handle and let friction hold it in place.

I never did try it with stock Hasbro combiner hands, so I can't speak to the compatibility there.

3. Tally76

Tally76 Member

I was in fact referring to the pc-06 kit... I have seen the pc-07 kit one place, but could/cannot find the pc-06 anywhere. The hunt will go on. Thanks!

4. FlyingKato

FlyingKato Well-Known Member

Love the look of that Inferno set. Hope GoBetter give Earthrise Ironhide/Ratchet a go next!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like that Inferno set it's rather nice, but I do really still like the lower Torso cover on that previous Grapple kit and would like that on Inferno too.

Some stickers would be nice too - for the screen on the arm but also just to detail Inferno up in a couple of places if possible. I kinda wish there was a sticker set for the MFT Cranes and Firetrucks too - the legs on those look really bland as they are.

The megatron kit with the opaque fillers is nice too.

-------

If anyone has any connections that can help me get some multiples of WFC Megatron arm covers please let me know I could do with anywhere from 10+ of the things maybe an even Dozen of them. but if I was going to buy that many I do not really want to be paying retail price.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    I have the Matrix Workshop one, which I got sent as a complimentary freebie after getting several MW kits that don't fit. The large rifle, of course, doesn't fit right and needs to have the peg filed down to proper diameter (use a rectangular precision file) and have the ports properly expanded to 5mm (5mm drill bit by hand +/- pliers, not power drill). I don't recommend this one at all.

TDW does appear to have the best overall kit, but yeah, it would have extra parts you're not interested in and is not exactly cheap either. Not sure if you'd be able to buy just the rifle parts used. The PE kits use their generic large rifle blaster which is found in most of their combiner kits and not based off the actual rifle design.

Maybe keep a look out for future ZX kits as they have done new blasters for 3 of the combiners so far: Bruticus, Computron, and Menasor.

Takara's upcoming GS Abominus set will have a new rifle, and, um, Terrorbreaster accessory. Takara actually fixed the various joint issues on their version of Volcanicus, so hoping for the same on this one.

I don't think anyone has done the harpoon looking version of his rifle either.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I like Go Better's stuff. I'll definitely get The Inferno kit, as I'm happy with the kit they did for Grapple. It doesn't look like it has the ab piece, though. Can't decide on Megatron. The gap fillers are nice, and I dig the toothbrush, but I don't care much about the gun.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    20210413_175430.jpg

A lousy photo illustrating the use of the SL-88 ramps to make a base. I think I'm going to have to pick up an Ironworks upgrade set to differentiate him from "Astroworks." (Also, Nonnef Prime trailer set.)

I wish there were other base upgrade parts out there. There are ramp extenders, connectors, and adapters on Shapeways, but I have never been able to pull the trigger on a Shapeways order because stuff is usually so expensive, plus it's printed. I kinda wonder if these folks could find a way to team up and get some stuff produced like Nonnef or Shockwave's Lab does.

Relevant Shapeways shops:
    P.S. Someone already has an SS86 Slag sword on Shapeways. How they know it will work without having the figure in hand, I do not know.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. ziltama

News Credits:
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  10. wheeljackfan16

wheeljackfan16 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I actually was working on ramps around last December, but I scrapped them when I saw how cheap other companies were selling them for, since it takes quite a while to print them out, I knew I wouldn't be able to compete. It sucked because it took me a lot of tries to get a durable 3D printed connection system, I must have had at least 10 feet of track just from all of the different revisions and tolerance tweaks I had done. I can try selling some 4 way adapters though, I might as well, they've been ready to go since December, and I haven't noticed any durability issues, even after pulling pieces apart constantly. I had a small, medium, and large lengths of ramps too.
    4WayRamp.PNG LargeRamp.PNG MeduimRamp.PNG SmallRamp.PNG

Here is one of the Medium Ramps attached to AstroWorks:

IMG_20210413_220339083.jpg

I should hopefully be able to get them listed by Friday night in at least a few colors if I start making them now.

• Like Like x 5
  11. ziltama

News Credits:
    Multiple peeps were also asking for TR to ER base / ramp adapters.

• Like Like x 5
  12. wheeljackfan16

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I started one of those too, I just never actually finished it like I had with the ramps and four way adapter, there was something that was giving me trouble with it, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I'll have to look at it and see what I have to do yet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Sorry you went through so much effort. But it looks like there may be a small market for adapters, connectors, or other base upgrade ideas. And while I haven't purchased from you yet, I have seen that your prices are reasonable. I'm a cheapskate, so that's much appreciated. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  14. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shockwave Labs ones are legit injection molded ABS so there is no way for 3D Prints to compete, but like others said there is still a market for ramp adapters to other ramp systems (Titans Return, Hotwheels, Tomica, etc.)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Phoebvs

Phoebvs Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. rusticon

rusticon Well-Known Member

Just chanced upon this thread and funny you should mention, as here are a bunch of track pieces done up which can all interchangeably use either TR or ER style connectors - Model Catalog | Funbie Studios :) 

• Like Like x 2
  17. wheeljackfan16

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, that was another reason I scrapped them. I just bought some Hotwheels track at Dollar Tree, so I'll see what I can do for different adapters. Titans Return adapter is almost done, and then I should be able to get a Lego and Hotwheels adapter done fairly quickly after that. I was toying around with the idea of track pieces with 5mm ports on the sides of them, so you could peg in traffic lights and such, but I don't know how many people would actually be interested in that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ziltama

News Credits:
    115 Utopia did end up doing their Ironhide kit afterall. Not really looking forward to it considering their sets have not been good (fitting issues so bad that they don't work out the box), so I also expect this one not to fit well either +/- colormatch issues. They have good ideas but execution is extremely poor.

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like Like x 5
  19. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    It would be cool if those replacement feet for the Earthrise Ironhide mould makes them taller.

20. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    That's pretty close to the idea I had (I was ok ditching the 5mm port so the front of the foot could be on a mushroom swivel). Nonnef's supposedly working on something for the vannettes, but I'll keep this one in mind as a backup.