General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

Just got mine from the mists of eBay. Visually they are way better, but they are less practical if you want to transform him. Unless I missed something you have to take them off and store the somewhere. Since they indent slightly, they can't even go back on his arms.

I wish I could just get the arm parts from ZX without buying the full kit.

• Like Like x 2
  2. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

So out of all of the upgrade options, which offer the best teeth upgrades?

It's really the only part I'm interested in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    For grimlock? Personally I'm partial to the nonnef set, but that's because I prefer molded kits over 3d printed

• Like Like x 1
  4. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

100%

So as far as teeth go, that's the way to go you say?

• Like Like x 1
  5. wheeljackfan16

wheeljackfan16 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    • Like Like x 4
  6. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fenrys

News Credits:
    It's my preference, just be warned they're not a perfect color match and for some that's distracting

• Like Like x 2
  8. wheeljackfan16

wheeljackfan16 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    All of my kits are 3d printed, but I design them with that in mind so that they are as durable as possible, and I mostly use filament that's made in Wisconsin, so it's pretty high quality plastic. Like for the sword for Grimlock I sell, the blade is two halves printed sideways that are glued together, and the handle is printed sideways as well, so it doesn't break like that other person's shockwave lab sword did.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Fenrys

News Credits:
    I'll vouch for this person's kits, got the cheetor fillers and they're actually really good and hard to tell they're 3d printed

• Like Like x 3
  10. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    1) ET01, the maker of the Grimlock hands & swords and Overlord / Sky Shadow hands sets, released more hands for POTP Rodimus Prime, TR/Legends Powermaster OP / God Ginrai molds, and TR/Legends Six Shot molds.

We got the one for Grimlock but going to uninstall. The mushroom peg was designed poorly and had a weird notch on it. The fingers kept coming apart, which is the worst part. I'll likely end up modding the swords to work like standard ones. Also miffed that they released an "updated" version that holds regular pegs after ordering the original Grimlock set. Not sure if having the extra peg holder add-on is the only change or they actually made some improvements to the fingers. We have 2 sets of SL hands and they stay together much better than this.

Only one that seems tempting is the one for God Ginrai, although the SL hands we have work shockingly well for him.

2) There's not too many US based vendors that sell upgrade kits. Took a chance on a vendor on eBay I normally don't order from and will see how that goes before recommending to others.

I have purchased 2 items from alphal-11 on eBay before. Small selection but both purchases (limited edition Dr. Wu swords) had no issues.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lockdown91

Lockdown91 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got any links for these? Particularly Ginrai and Sixshot?

I'm hoping the Overlord set I ordered arrives in the next week.

12. ziltama

News Credits:
    Items for sale by sweetmall-1 | eBay

• Like Like x 1
  13. ziltama

News Credits:
    Grimlock upgrade kits are getting nuts. This one basically retrofits the MoDel LED MP-8 head for SS86 Grimlock with a custom neck plate. Still comes with the MP-8 only shoulder piece too. I was actually thinking about getting the MoDel kit for our MP-8, hmm.

Luminous Head Upgrade Kit FOR SS86 Grimlock MP08 Grimlock LED Head Sculpt | eBay

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l500 (1).jpg s-l500 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Edit: MP-8 shoulder piece is for sound clips. There's one LED head with 2 face plates.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  14. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    That’s the kit that had voice clips in the replacement shoulder right? Been meaning to pick that up. The bonus neck piece to work with SS84 Grimlock makes it even more appealing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ziltama

News Credits:
    Yeah, shoulder piece is for the left side and just does voice / sound clips.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

Pics of SS86 Slag are making the rounds.
    Hopefully people will jump on sword kits for him as well

• Like Like x 1
  17. CyberDragon10K

CyberDragon10K Predacon Rising

News Credits:
    Seconding wheeljackfan16's/JRC Design's stuff.

I grabbed the Soundwave arm fillers and a boatload of the Grimlock stuff* a while ago. Soundwave arm fillers are snug and easily removable, and I recently acquired a SS86 Grimlock to muck around with the pieces. Some minor hiccups I'll be updating the good man about, but it's quality prints and the customer service is second to none (I'm in Canada, and wheeljackfan16 upgraded me to the Version 2 teeth top and bottom despite me only buying the Version 1 top teeth originally).

* = I live in Canada, so I literally cannot afford to buy one thing at a time because of the hefty eBay flat rate shipping.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

I wouldn't spend a second worrying about that. Companies are making accessories for the Combiner Wars toys that are over 5 years old.

• Like Like x 5
  19. ziltama

News Credits:
    Pics of various injection molded kits:

Sword from ET-01 SS86 Grimlock hands and sword kit. Ended up uninstalling the hands and putting the stock hands back on. Didn't want kid to potentially lose finger bits all over the place, and the mushroom peg wasn't even fitted correctly (not even close). Didn't realize the KO MP-8 sword was actually oversized compared to stock MP-8 sword, so the fire effect wouldn't fit. Modded the handle to fit stock hands: cut off tabs and carefully filed down the handle to 5mm proper. Also had to file / sand off the back hilt part to get proper clearance. The fluorescent red plastic "lights up" better than the poorly designed LED system of MP-8. Got this set off eBay. Some auctions offer the sword separately.
    swordgrim.jpg

Been collecting some of the special edition Dr. Wu sword kits. Have the green and clear Tyrant Sword variants. The green one has a fluorescent green blade and black hilt. The clear one has a colorless blade and smoke handle. I believe I got the green one off Robotkingdom and the clear one off eBay. These aren't based off the more recent and easy to find purple version, which revised the needle like sharp bits (little bit thicker and feels more sturdy).
    drwuswor.jpg

Was looking forward to the Chatter (Squawkbox) set but came off disappointing in person. Despite that, Orang (Beastbox) actually turned out fairly decent.
    chatter1.jpg

I still see potential clearance issues with his hands like Grimlock although shouldn't be as bad.

Not the biggest fan of his 'jazz hands' either. However, the length of the 5mm peg would make add-on hands look awkward due to needing a large 'wrist' area or adaptor. Adding on a blade or cannon may work better.

ractonhand.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. ziltama

News Credits:
    Has anyone tried any of the Shockwave Lab KO kits off eBay? Noticed them before but haven't purchased one yet. They usually offer SL kits in a wide variety of colors that are not officially announced and may also have minor changes.

The latest KOs are for the Grimlock sword. These mainly have gold hilts although some are red. There are 10 blade colors to choose from (6 clear, 4 opaque). The KO swords add a side peg and have a different handle. Not sure if still has the same tapering peg issue, though.

The Sword Upgrade Kit for SS86 MP08 Grimlock - Studio Series SS-86 Sword - #1 | eBay
    s-l1600 (2).jpg

New The Sword Upgrade Kit for SS86 MP08 Grimlock For Studio Series SS-86 Sword | eBay
    s-l1600 (3).jpg

This particular seller, wonderfullys, is interesting since they can ship from both US and China, but the shipping from US listings are less than 10% of their total listings, which do not include these swords. I did order some other items from their shipping from US listings, so will see how that transaction goes.

-----

This looks like the 1st in-stock listing for the ZX Grimlock set with LED sword:
    s-l1600 (4).jpg

3D Sword Foot Soles&Hands Fill Holes Upgrade Kit For Studio Series SS86 Grimlock | eBay

Still waiting for TFSafari to get theirs in-stock. They had sold out of pre-orders earlier but put back up pre-order again:
    【Pre-Order】ZX Studio ZX-05 Gap Fillers + Weapon for Studio Series 86 Movie Grimlock Upgrade Kit (Painted)

• Like Like x 4