General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Dremen_Solo

Dremen_Solo Well-Known Member

Not always accessible or ideal but there are some really good options on Cults3D if you want to go the 3D printed route. Thats what I did and it looks great. 335070332_3279275132322713_6929051138378313451_n.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i like the matrix workshop one

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jazzer995

Jazzer995 Well-Known Member

Yeah pretty much, better than nothing.

4. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Beware of the Tim Heada ROTB Cheetor set. Besides making worse looking spear and feet parts, the hands are actually 3rd party hands for Gundam models with a Tim Heada adapter. At that small scale, and not being designed for 'action' figures, I can't imagine those working well. Also, this would remove 5mm peg compatibility, hence, having to use new spears using a tab as attachment.
    O1CN01nSUhan1G6TlOQ69O3_!!430573.jpg

Also aware of the Juqi Leo Prime set. I'm leary of the swords due to warps in the various pics.
    O1CN01WtO9Ol28wDkvRKS6R_!!3053417996.jpg

The MSS Leo Prime hands are not articulated and have a static fingers-spread-out pose. I thought they were also making articulated hands based off 1 proto pic, but I guess not. They've been teasing other stuff but not posting due to vaporware history. Of course, these hands would need to be removed for transformation or when holding anything.
    007mjvOBgy1hbrfx855g0j31kg11sh02.jpg

As for the ZX SS86 Arcee set, the proto pics look noticeably better than the final release.

Go Better finally announced a new set but it's a recolor of their 3p NA Seekers set.

------

Anyhow, liked the old SXS A-06 set a lot for use on Legacy Skyquake despite having to shorten some of the pegs to make them usable on the current Skyquake figure. The main gun pegs do not require any adjustments.

Purchased the SXS A-07 set for the inevitable Dreadwing redeco. Outside of the sticky bombs, has a mostly different design than the A-06 gun and has a new sword. The sword hilt comes apart to act as the back handle of the large gun. The blade stores on top of the gun. Like the A-06 set, the side storage peg and the sticky bomb pegs are tapered and too long to use on current Skyquake mold. Shortened those and now fit just fine. The main gun / sword handles do not require adjustments.

Contents:
    sxs71.jpg

Looks great.
    sxs72.jpg

The SXS sword is longer than the Legacy sword.
    sxs73.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  5. KibblerGrrrl

KibblerGrrrl Zealous mini-cassettes & fembots evangelist

Does anyone have the Matrix Workshop M-78 upgrade kit for SS BBM Ironhide? I know the two cannons need the handgrip/bracers to attach to BBM Ironhide, and it looks like the cannons friction-attach to the bracers via little rectangular pegs on the bracers.
    m78_01.jpg m78_03.jpg m78_02.jpg
    But does anyone know if the cannons also have standard 5mm pegs (or 5mm sockets) so I can stick them in the ports of WfC/Legacy figures? If the cannons don't have 5mm pegs, is there enough solid plastic in the cannon pieces that it would be possible to gently drill out sockets to receive 5mm pegs?

• Like Like x 2
  6. CyberDragon10K

CyberDragon10K Predacon Rising

News Credits:
    Wow.

I guess those solid hands really do make things more straightforward.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was wondering if anyone has seen any sign of a listing for Core Class Thundercracker Fillers yet ?
    Hopefully they might consider including the blast effects with the next release.

I don't think I'd mind to much if they used that Transluscent blue they used on Starscream for the main body of the fillers. I wonder how they missed including the nose cone filler though ?

But then both Starscream and Core Megatron had missing upper arm fillers too. But hopefully he will get a colour specific set, to save me having the paint them.

8. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Can the hands rotate at least?

I'm not even asking for the set itself since I don't care about hands being in a static pose, I'm just asking if is possible to include rotating hands without interfering with transformation for other companies to do upgrades.

9. ziltama

News Credits:
    I'm aware of all the new Tim Heada kits for Battletrap, Freezer, Bonecrusher, Cheetor, and Metalhawk. Aside from the usual QC problems, the theme appears to be 'enhancing' one mode at the expense of the other. Even enhancing is a bit of stretch...or the complete opposite.

The SS Galvatron feet by Sweet Orange Studio (? correct translation) also appears to affect bot mode quite negatively compared to the alt mode profile (still janky but less so).

-----

I've been waiting for the new resin copy sets to hit eBay and looks like they finally did...along with adding Scraphook's parts and Metalhawk's sword. There's a warning however that the connectors on some of the Red Cog pieces may not be snug. I suspect resin shrinkage in the mold, so beware. This has been an issue on some previous resin copy sets.

These pics are from TFLand:

O1CN01RzcghN1G6TlXRbtNW_!!430573.jpg O1CN01D3cQ4t1G6TlYViv7U_!!430573.jpg O1CN01UZwWYn1G6TlUwBLPa_!!430573.jpg O1CN01bSosh51G6Tla5GWgj_!!430573.jpg

These connectors are mentioned as loose, which is a bummer. It actually mentions to use glue...
    O1CN01y4vhkJ1G6TlbWmrpJ_!!430573.jpg

-----

I notice TFLand restocking the SXS A-06 set for Skyquake. The main gun works great out the box. However, the side storage peg and the pegs from the sticky bombs need to be shortened in order to fit in the current Legacy Skyquake figure (the straight pegs are too long and tapered). I haven't seen domestic sellers for the A-06 set anymore.

A-07 is still being sold domestically at least by koaoao on eBay.

koaoao also listed the ZX SS86 Arcee set. Going to pass on that one as was only interested in the fillers. Already have way too many loose and KO accessories.

-----

I don't know about the MSS hands, probably if they're on mushroom pegs. The hands need to be closed for transformation, which means changing the hands out.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've only seen the Tim Heads kit for SS Cheetor, are there pics of the others?

11. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is larger, the new Metalhawk sword or the old one ?
    Assuming that resin isn't fragile that might be a better better than the default hook which is very rubbery.

I wish someone would make some fore arm fillers for Junkheap he could do with them.

12. Stardiver

Stardiver Toy enjoyer

• Like Like x 1
  13. ziltama

News Credits:
    Sharkwo released a part for SS Battletrap, which covers the arms and separates the hitch parts from the arms. The nylon surface finish, however, looks terrible and doesn't match anything on the figure.
    s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. SomethingJ

SomethingJ Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Looks like bedliner on a real world service vehicle. I could be down for this one.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Boss Borot

Boss Borot A Pile of Scrap

That's kinda nice, but personally I'd rather have new parts that completely replace the hitch stuff. I hate how they hang off of the arms and in truck mode they just barely resemble the real thing. Make it turn into a neat gun or big hook arm or something.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    Same. Maybe DNA will do something along those lines and give us a chain for his wrecking ball too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ziltama

News Credits:
    Go Better posted a few sets but they're for 3p NA figures. Otherwise, it's been 3 months since they posted a kit for Hasbro figures. Shockwave Lab hasn't posted anything new in 1.5 months.

I'm skipping out on the latest resin sets as I already have all those parts and don't need extras...unless the spiked wheels were sold separately. Granted, I just could make my own custom copies.

BBTS has DK-38 set for Motormaster in stock. Overall recommended although has some of the usual DNA Design jank, like the new hands not being compatible with 5mm pegs and the trailer hitch being terrible: raises the front of the trailer way too much. I'm going to work on my own custom trailer hitch.

DK-15 reissue for SS-44 and 44BB OP still pre-sold out at BBTS and TFsource. About $15 more to import.

DNA also hasn't posted anything new in 2.5 months.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Poe Ghostal

Poe Ghostal Star Seeker

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    So I decided to pass on the DNA Menasor kit - I just don't want the articulated hands, and I definitely don't want the sword without a normal peg.

I tried having a friend 3d print one of the Cults3D swords, but I don't like how it came out. It looks too homemade. So in the end I dropped some money on the BDT gun/sword set. It's not my favorite but it seems to be the best I can get at the quality I want.

My ideal would be to get the Shockwave gun (without the light-up bit) and the DNA sword (without the unique articulated-hands-grip), but that's evidently not possible right now.

19. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you got a link to any of those orange ones ?

pre-orders go up tomorrow for this CRASHER HEAD

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ziltama

News Credits:
    The only one left now is on FEXT's own site. They appear to have the cheapest prices but the s&h is going to be high:
    Sci-Fi 04 display set

• Like Like x 1