General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. SomethingJ

SomethingJ Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Any pics you can share?

2. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

2023-03-08 21.30.28.jpg 2023-03-08 21.33.05.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  3. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    SXS A-06 Skyquake Set

Got this in the mail earlier this week. This set was originally meant for the RID Prime Voyager class figure. Comes with a large gatling gun and 2 stars. I haven't watched the show and not sure what the stars are supposed to be for. Purchased for use on Legacy Evolution Leader Class Skyquake.

The set looks great. The SXS gatling gun is considerably larger than the Legacy stock gun. The barrels rotate when manually turned. The handles are larger. The back handle is also on a hinge, so posing and positioning is much easier with the SXS gatling gun. The gun is not truly blast effects compatible, however, there is a screwhead in the barrel that a rubbery blast effect with a long enough peg can stretch around and attach to.

The fit is a mixed bag for general figure use, but for Legacy Skyquake, the gatling gun works great out the box. Legacy Skyquake's hands are molded open and are a little tight. The rear peg is fairly snug in closed hands on other figures. The support handle does rotate but the fit is a little on the loose side. However, when held with a sideways hand, it's not going to slide out. Legacy Skyquake's hands are able to hold onto the support handle well.

The pegs for the stars and the side storage peg for the gatling gun, however, are seemingly loose at first and won't stay on. When more closely examined, these pegs are actually tapered. If one were to shorten these pegs, then the star pegs and gatling side peg will fit well. The star pegs are too long anyways and need to be cut down to fit flush on Legacy Skyquake's various shallow ports.

The SXS gatling gun looks great. Don't really care much for the stars. The support handle rotates 360 degrees. The rear handle acts as a vertical hinge and moves 180 degrees. The barrel is able to rotate 360 degrees when manually turned.
    sxsa06a.jpg

Another view.
    sxsa06b.jpg

Close up view of the stars.
    sxsa06c.jpg

Comparison with stock weapons:
    sxsa06k.jpg

It's not supposed to be blast effects compatible, however, rubbery blast effects with a long enough peg are able to stretch around and stay on the barrel screw. Rigid effects will not work.
    sxsa06d.jpg

The explosion style effects on the left are able to stay on decently. The energy type on the right, however, either will not stay on or just barely stay on (and then fall off with the slightest bump). This is due to having shorter pegs.
    blasts1.jpg

The side storage peg is tapered and loose at the end. Also too long for the various ports. I shortened the peg to a little bit less than half the length (between half and 1/3 off). Now it stores and fits just fine.
    sxsa06e.jpg

The pegs are too long and loose at the ends for the stars to attach to Legacy Skyquake. The pegs will easily show through even if they could stay on. Shortened these pegs to about half the length. Now they fit well and are able to plug in flush.
    sxsa06f.jpg

For shortening the gatling side peg and the star pegs, I cut them off a bit shorter than the desired length with side cutters and then filed down to proper size with a precision file.

Yeah, the SX gatling gun looks AND poses much, much better.
    sxsa06g.jpg

Again, rubbery blast effects with long enough pegs will able to stay in place by fitting around the internal barrel screw. Here, the stars are better seen on the wings.
    sxsa06h.jpg

Blast effects with shorter pegs are not going to stay on...or barely stay on. Lightly tapping the gun here will make this type of blast effect fall off.
    sxsa06i.jpg

With the gatling side peg shortened, it will then be able to plug into and stay in place in various ports. Of course, the SXS gatling gun is too big for the landing wheels to go past. This is a side view that shows a relative flush fit for the stars when their pegs are shortened.
    sxsa06j.jpg

Overall: Recommended if you have Legacy Skyquake. These old sets are still readily available. Although optional, shortening the star pegs and gatling side peg will improve use on the Legacy Skyquake figure.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 12
  4. CyberDragon10K

CyberDragon10K Predacon Rising

News Credits:
    The stars were sticky bombs/grenades IIRC. The long pegs were of course intended for the OG PRiD mould. Skyquake didn't get to use them AFAIK, but Dreadwing made use of them when he appeared later on and featured prominently in Season 2.

Looks like Skyquake's gun works better on account of the rear handle bit not having to partsform/detach and combine with a blade in order to create a sword like in Dreadwing's case.

Dreadwing's Legacy release is an easy redeco, so I'll just say again that I had to finagle with the rear handle of Dreadwing's cannon much more than I would've liked and the Prime mould's thumb was easily stressed when trying to get the cannon positioned in a nice-looking way. I may get (the hypothetical) Legacy Dreadwing or try and find solid hands to replace the open PRiD ones with. In either case these guns look good, which is the main draw.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ziltama

News Credits:
    Thanks. I also purchased the SXS A-07 set for Dreadwing, as I also assume Hasbro will do the Dreadwing deco. The A-07 set has a completely different barrel and has its own sword.

6. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Looks good with this version of the character.
    They are, Dreadwing is coming in wave 4 of Evolution.

7. KveTar

KveTar Well-Known Member

Bought another upgrade for Astrotrain. This time fillers. Very well done. Couple elements had to glue in, but they don't interrupt transformation. Here some pics "before-after".

20230308_134831.jpg 20230308_134906.jpg 20230308_135013.jpg 20230308_135121.jpg 2023-03-09 09.23.00.jpg 2023-03-09 09.23.31.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  8. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really expected some more options for Pointblank by now that we have, the ones out there are ones you can't just grab on ebay like you usually can. I just want a decent wing more than anything he looks so incomplete without one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Echowarrior

Echowarrior Well-Known Member

I think both Nonnef and at least one person on Etsy are selling something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SomethingJ

SomethingJ Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    The finish on the print doesn't look too great, but design by Funbie:
    Transformers Legacy Pointblank Spoiler Accessory ***Spoiler ONLY | eBay

12. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Any recommendations for a new Ion Rifle compatible with Earthrise Prime? I'm not happy with the stumpy gun he comes with and the Siege version of the rifle likes to fall out of the hands on my copy.

13. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I think mine were from Matrix Workshop and offered in 3 sizes. I even have a transparent blue one for Laser Optimus.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ziltama

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, there's no good readily available G1 style Ion Blaster...at least by itself. The domestic 3d print sellers have awful quality. The Matrix Workshop Ion Blasters are from when they had awful fit issues, but open / articulated hands are able to compensate. The ZX Tenseg OP set has an Ion Blaster; have not tried that. Bayverse has multiple good options.

Loose POTP Ion Blasters don't pop up on eBay that often anymore. Centurion set Ion Blaster is too big for a lot of people.

If you're into 3p figures, I like the Perfect Effect Ion Blasters. The PC-16 figure is of course prohibitively expensive although the Nemesis version of the figure is still around $50. The PE-DX11 and DX11B figures are also around $50 and come with an Ion Blaser (blast effects compatible), large buster sword, and non-G1 hand axe.

PC-16 on top, PE-DX11 on bottom. Voyager scaled.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  16. Jazzer995

Jazzer995 Well-Known Member

Those ones in the arms you will have to pop out for transformation, luckily he has a tender you can store them in, I only used the wrist ones because of that.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This eBay seller, Feedback Profile offered me deals on two of his items. Read his negative feedback and you'll see why I said "no thanks"

• Like Like x 1
  18. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stick to Sweetmall / sugar girl

• Like Like x 5
  19. KveTar

KveTar Well-Known Member

There's a storage for it? Where?

20. Pcsolyar

Pcsolyar JaAm Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I believe they meant just chuck it loose into his coal tender
    If that's in reference to the seller that offered tfx a discount, that seller makes their own kits. They aren't a reseller like Julia is. The kits are really rough, so I'd still avoid them though. I do own their Armada Unicron stand and it's not terrible, but their smaller figure accessories have bad print finish and bad paint that's immediately evident in the listing photos.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 3