General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Pcsolyar

Pcsolyar JaAm Connoisseur

News Credits:
    The God Neptune set was so bad I ended up just throwing out the new elbows rather than try to mod them. They don't fit all the limb bots, and I would have had to carve part of the elbow away to fit Sea Phantom's or Coelagon's waist. As it came only Terrormander would fit. Even if they didn't need modded, they need removed to transform the limb back to robot or alt mode. You have to take both legs off at the hip to install the elbow. The ball joint for the legs to plug back onto isn't the right size either and needed filed down for Coelagon's to fit. I didn't even bother fixing the other one for Sea Phantom. The chest is designed with the posts in the wrong spots to fit, but you can force it if you try. Using the new chest requires popping parts off that are needed for Halfshell's alt mode. Feet pegs were loose with this set rather than oversized. The new head doesn't tab in well, either. Lastly, despite looking good, the thighs are screwed together once put on. You have to unscrew them to transform Halfshell to either mode.

The Abominus kit actually worked pretty well out of the box for me, but I only bought it for the hands, feet, thighs, and gun. I have the Selects set, so I didn't even take the chest/head out of the box. The feet only needed minor filing to fit.

2. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    Buncha new Legacy Wave 3 upgrade kits popping up on eBay -

[​IMG]

Shoulder/back cannons for Crankcase - Pre-sale!BDT Weapon Upgrade Kit Back Cannon Gun For Legacy Crankcase Accessories | eBay

[​IMG]

Big ol' cannon for Inferno - Pre-sale! Cool Weapon Upgrade Kit Big Gun For Legacy Predacon inferno-BDT STUDIO | eBay

[​IMG]

Weapons and wrist covers for Skullgrin - Pre-sale! Weapon Big Gun Knife Arm Cover Upgrade Kits For Legacy Skullgrin-BDT | eBay

[​IMG]

A better Star-Saber for Armada Starscream - Pre-sale! BDT STUDIO Weapon Upgrade Kit Big Sword For Legacy Armada Starcream | eBay

Hope we see an engine block gun for Pointblank soon (There's a 3d printable one but I'm a lazy sod)

• Like Like x 21
  3. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are all of those BDTv they seem to be the quickest to get upgrades for sale but…not that conplex and not the top quality

4. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

I'm not one for weapons that can't be discretely integrated in alt mode, but for Inferno, I might be willing to make an exception.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Greeman

Greeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gonna be frank most of those look kinda terrible. Or at least, terrible as accessories for these specific figures that don't stick out like a sore thumb.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Yes, the BDT styling looks awful. That's why I haven't bought a set from them yet. It doesn't match the figures' style.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gravitybomba

gravitybomba Active Member

Whoops, totally missed the connector piece. Thanks for pointing that out.

i think with Kickback, there is no way to make an upgrade kit to improve his other insect legs. I can live with it like this, though.

GB!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jazzer995

Jazzer995 Well-Known Member

Now I’m glad I went with the Superman set, the only issues are I need a dab of superglue to properly hold them and that you have to have them open in UFO mode.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know toyhax is a love or hate thing, but the Wildrider set is awesome just because it breaks up the boring gray of the Leg mode.

And a new head.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ziltama

News Credits:
    Various stuff in the mail.

Transform Dream Wave UW-EX Baldigus / Ruination Set TCW-01B

As mentioned earlier, I see why people were recommending Perfect Effect over TDW sets and why TDW sets were known for port breaking. The QC is atrocious. This set was unusable out the box due to oversized pegs that will break ports when forced all the way in. I almost found out the hard way on a different bot.

Also, this set has some parts that just don't work well. Glad I watched and read various reviews first for the Bruticus version. The shield restricts / blocks arm movements, so that is fail. Unlike Bruticus, the stock shield parts are painted, so didn't want to scuff them to install the new shield regardless. One upper shield part had a weird orange paint dot on it, which was annoying. Also, the new shield lacks the cool looking Combatron insignia the stock version has. The double thighs look terrible and cause more issues than they fix, including stability. The replacement thigh plastic has this matte, cheap feeling that the rest of the kit doesn't have.

I am NOT using the shield parts or the new thigh pieces.

Anyhow, using a precision file and some parts dismantling, filed down the pegs to around 5.06-5.08 mm in diameter. The pegs just varied in size with some going up to 5.2-5.3mm. Left them slightly oversized but not enough to break or stress the ports. The new feet really don't fix any posing issues compared to the stock feet ...unless you do a simple friction mod. The hands can't hold accessories with long handles, something the Perfect Effect hands allow.

The thigh panels felt scary to install. When I heard a snap, I thought the plastic broke, but that's just how they go on. The barrel extenders only look decent in combiner mode. In other modes, they look terrible since they don't try at all to seamlessly blend in with the blasters (both sets of Dolrailer / Mega-Octane blasters).

The gold paint doesn't quite match the stock gold paint, although they look fine next to each other. The new head has better range of motion but has a tendency to come off since the fit isn't tight.

The arrows show the parts that I did use: cannon / barrel extenders, replacement head, thigh panels, and replacement hands and feet. Baldigus comes with extra weapons compared to Bruticus, so those are not part of the set. Used the fan thigh mode here, which is possible without the new thighs, and is actually stable if a friction mod is done to the feet. Ruination is standing straight up without clicking the hip joints backwards here.
    tdwbald1.jpg

I did NOT use these parts: shield parts and replacement thighs. Not worth it.
    tdwbald2.jpg

The barrel extenders are useful in combiner mode, but they don't try at all to blend in with the blasters they're on. In the other modes, I would leave these off.
    tdwbald3.jpg

The other Mega-Octane blasters also work with the extenders but also doesn't look good.
    tdwbald5.jpg

The new feet don't improve any stability issues compared to the stock Computron redeco feet, which are somewhat better than the usual CW hand/feet pieces. Some surfaces are obviously better in terms of friction for figure posing. However, the bottom of the feet are painted and don't want that to get scuffed. If the feet bottom was solid, then adding strips of electrical tape would have been sufficient. In this case, used Scotch protective dots. Have a multi-pack of those. The ones with the highest friction I couldn't use since they weren't of the right thickness. The gray foam-like ones actually worked pretty well. They may seem too thick, but they will squish down from the weight. Used a full circle for the toes. However, the heels will then twist under the weight unless additional protective dots are added to the back. Cut out some quarter pieces for the back of the feet.
    tdwbald4.jpg

Overall: Without modding, set is awful and do not buy.

With modding, mixed bag. Didn't care for the shield and thigh pieces since they actually cause more problems. The barrel extenders are meh. However, I did end up liking the kit overall as it changed the overall look for the better. A friction mod for the feet helps a lot.

Transform Dream Wave POTP Starscream Set TCW-07

Don't even have POTP Starscream. Wanted to get the set for UW Grand Galvatron. The hands and feet have the same oversized peg problem. This kit is also useless out the box without modding. Didn't realize the cape was articulated (embedded wires), which was a nice surprise. This also comes with Abominus' gun for some strange reason.

As with the Baldigus set, filed the pegs down to a more appropriate size that won't break or stress the ports. The Abominus blaster is 3 parts that are put together. Looks great but strangely lacks a hole for the nozzle. It's just solid. I drilled a 5mm port into it. The cape has two holes near the neck area to attach to Starscream. The set includes 2 metal pegs to attach the cape (which I don't recommend at all when plugging into plastic ports), however, most figures that I'll use the cape on won't have convenient twin ports. Tied clear elastic thread to the cape holes.

As this is one of TDW's later sets, the mold degradation is horrendous. The feet in particular feel 'mushy', which is never a good sign. The feet parts don't want to stay pegged into itself leaving an uneven feet surface. The plastic feels nowhere near as nice as the Baldigus hand and feet plastic. The rear feet panels keep wanting to come apart. Also did the friction mod for the feet but didn't work nearly as well due to the uneven feet issues. The hands are OK but have the same issues with not being able to hold long handles.

This is Grand Galvatron with the new hands and feet, along with the cape. Tied a clear elastic band to the cape holes so that the cape hangs off Galvatron's neck.
    tdwss1.jpg

The Abominus blaster looks nice on, um, Abominus. The peg on the blaster is not oversized. If anything, it's a hair loose and just fell out of Abominus' hand port when posing.
    tdwss2.jpg

For Legacy Menasor, just loosely adjusted the embedded wire to hang off his backpack.
    tdwbadl6.jpg

Overall: Without modding, useless and do not buy. With modding, the set is usable but the mold degradation is just terrible for the feet pieces. Liked the cape and Abominus blaster parts. The hands are OK.

Trailer for Studio Series Optimus Prime figures

Got this loose trailer from TFland. Holy crap, this thing was filthy on arrival. Dirt and grime all over. The top of the trailer had this weird white crusting on it. I thought the top was missing paint chunks but it was just all the white crusting looking weird. I wish I remembered to take a photo of how it looked, but it definitely looks good now after cleaning it off. The white crap on top fortunately came off with just soap and water and a paper tower. So much grime was stuck in the molding and got that eventually off.

I'm not that familiar with SS OP figures to know where this trailer comes from.
    sstrailer1.jpg

Another view.
    sstrailer2.jpg

The trailer opens up like this.
    sstrailer3.jpg

I mainly got this for BB OP and one of their preview pics showed BB OP. However, the trailer isn't level and the more forward set of wheels won't touch the ground. I could try to add spacers but one of the screw heads was already stripped / rusted on arrival. I don't have a Bayverse OP to test this out on.
    sstrailer4.jpg

Overall: This thing was disgusting on arrival and took quite a bit of time to clean it off (and fortunately without scuffing the metallic paint). Doesn't quite work with BB OP despite their preview pic. One of the screw heads is rusted / stripped, so I couldn't undo the bottom panel to add spacers. I'll have lots of fun removing the stripped toy screw.

LG Nightbird Weapons Set

These were also sold loose on TFland. Bought 2 full sets. I don't think these are KOs. These are not resin casted either.

Comes with one of each Arcee blaster type, pair of clear yellow sais, and a pair of clear yellow swords. For use on SS86 Arcee, all the parts fit in her hands; just need to watch the positioning of the rectangular handles.
    night1.jpg

SS86 Arcee is able to hold the sword but can only hold part of the handle due to her hand design. It works well enough for posing.
    night2.jpg

Purchased 2 full sets. Originally planned to recolor (dye) the clear weapons into orange or red, although they look fine in person the way they are. I may revisit that later on.
    night4.jpg

The blasters may be used as adapters for SS86 Arcee to use Cog in 'Netflix' mode. One blaster is enough, although 2 is more stable. Either blaster type may be used to help connect Cog. Use the back of the blasters to connect to the backpack with the main handle pointed upwards. Then use the ports in Cog's forearms to connect.

This example shows that both blaster types work for 'Netflix' mode but the smaller one would work best.
    night3.jpg

Overall: Recommended if you want an injected molded set of accessories for SS86 Arcee that also fit and stay in her hands.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 10
  11. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 6
  12. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    Absolutely. Everything they do is in that terrible ‘techno-organic’ style and, as you say, doesn’t fit mainline figure aesthetics at all. Shame.

13. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    If you got these from TFland's Toys on Ebay, then they likely are a couple of sets of the actual LG Nightbird's injection moulded weapons that were listed by them.

14. Pcsolyar

Pcsolyar JaAm Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I assume it was the taobao store tfland, not transformerland

• Like Like x 2
  15. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Can confirm, I have this trailer it is a Hasbro trailer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I some how managed to miss out on the DOTM Deluxe trailer despite there being multiple releases.

So I'm wondering is there any other Optmi it works on such as the Earthrise or Legacy G2 Optimus ?
    Also what about that Downscales IDW Optimus that is bigger than a Deluxe and smaller than a Voyager = does it fit that ?

17. ziltama

News Credits:
    Not transformerland, the taobao TFLand store: https://tfland.taobao.com/

Need an account or proxy service to fully browse.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Saw this on Daimchoc’s page.

Tim_Heada - Dragon Tail for Legacy TM2 Megatron
    94F1E94C-DBFC-45CA-A297-96DDC8A87002.jpeg 6686726D-90A2-44D7-A0B3-9DBE240C39EF.jpeg 6085CA28-8F8A-42E2-BA5A-1BDF9093359A.jpeg 2A72DF68-6350-46B7-972D-0099D95E5479.jpeg 9046CF07-9C23-4AB3-A07D-B622750461FE.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  19. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  20. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    Damn, someone finally made a Star Saber for Starscream and while I like the size, I'm not sure about the aesthetic/styling.

Not sure if it's just the sculpting that's too soft and not sharp enough, but right now this Star Saber seems more like something from Beast Wars/Machines with its "tech-organic" look which doesn't fit with the blockier, real robot anime-ish Unicron Trilogy aesthetic that Legacy Armada/Micron Legend Starscream has going for.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1