General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can get a set of pistols and swords and replacement hands. Technically some colour variations of Nonnef's Nightbird kit are designed for her too.

2. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Eh, the Dr. Wu set is fine but its swords are more fitting for Nightbird and ironically the Nonnef Nightbird set works better for the Earthrise Arcee mould (then again, the Earthrise Arcee mould doesn't deserve any more money being invested into it).

• Like Like x 1
  3. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Yep! Here's mine, with Nonnef's G2 Sideswipe upgrade and spoilers.

IMG_4691.JPG IMG_4692.JPG IMG_4693.JPG IMG_4694.JPG IMG_4695.JPG IMG_4696.JPG IMG_4697.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pcsolyar

Pcsolyar JaAm Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Has anyone bought from smea1366 lately? My order from 10 days ago still hasn't moved past "paid"

5. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think you have to use the accessories expressly with the toys they are intended alone - I thought of that the other day with regard to the Movie 5 aftermarket weapons of sword, axe and staff.

But you can just as easily stick something in a box and come back to it later - for example I'm thinking Arms Microns + Legacy toys is going to be a win in 2022.
    ---------------

I wish Dr. Wu would revisit their staff and Sword for Alpha Trion in other colours - as despite being specifically for him, I think it really suits other things like Magnaconvoy, various Nemesis Prime and Megatron toys, and Lio Prime. Also another colour option of the staff would be nice to go with Cyberverse Alpha Trion too. A red version of that staff would look really nice with Leo Prime I think too.

To be honest I am kinda surprised that when the Matrix Hilted swords were reproduced without the metal that other colours were not made.

The sword that comes with Takara Legends Leo Prime is "fine" but having the Dr. Wu one in those colours would be so nice - as would the staff to match as you get the weapon storage clips and you get the option of an interesting asymetrical sword mounted each side in vehicle mode too. (Which I like to do with Alpha Trion).

6. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

I stopped getting TDW Upgrades after the Abominus kit. Don't get me wrong, it looked nice, but nice isn't great and if you looked at it too hard all the pieces would fall off. A $60 upgrade should make the figure better and that kit just made it less stable. With all the floppiness that the seacons have to begin with, this set (though pretty) was a non-starter for me.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Covered in Scorpions, all covered in Scorpions

I'd buy just a bigger version of the chest plate and new dog heads/feet for Hun grr

• Like Like x 1
  8. SomethingJ

SomethingJ Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I ordered late October, and it took them over 10 days to ship, but it's in the US now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Are any of the items on pre-order? Annoyingly, some of the listings aren't clearly obvious as being pre-order.

10. wheeljackfan16

wheeljackfan16 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I got my JP33 set ready to go![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 22
  11. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    Absolutely gorgeous! Gap fillers are essential and I love the ingenuity of that knife and sheath.

Do you have anything else going up soon that I should wait for, or is it safe to order immediately? ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  12. wheeljackfan16

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I just put up some arm fillers for Tracks, I've basically had them all sitting in a bin for months now, so I figure I should try and get rid of them. That should be it, I'm going to try and get the black Waspinator stingers up today too, but that should be it for a little while.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Love this! Ordered this, they gray waspinator stinger and the pke meter

14. greboguru

Awesome! I am gonna have to get that. But... nothing for the upper arm gaps? Nor the torso/solar plexus gap? Someone here made a part for the torso...

I also have a real problem with TDW's upgrades because there's not always places for all the upgrade parts to go when the team isn't combined. PE's feet may have been big, but at least each one just became two guns.

• Like Like x 2
  15. wheeljackfan16

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    When I design gap fillers, I basically just try and go for the worst ones/what keeps the kit the cheapest, so what I pick is pretty much entirely based on what I notice with my first impressions of a figure. Also, my biggest fear with gap fillers is tolerances, if one is too tight on the way down, it basically ruins someone's figure. I try to design most of my kits so that if they do break, the kit itself will break instead of the figure, or at the very least will break in a way that it can be removed without damaging the figure, since I can always send a new part or refund, but if the actual figure is wrecked that's a great way to ensure someone won't buy anything from you ever again, and plus it's just a crappy feeling that you can't really do anything to help. Gap fillers are also basically impossible to test before sending, so that's also why I try to keep them to a minimum. I figured the gaps on the upper arm were less noticeable, and the torso gap wasn't bad unless you look at it from below, and then I would have to decide whether or not I want something to extend below the bumper, or if just coming straight back would be enough, so I figured it was best to just not do one. That being said, what one person sees as a minor flaw could be what another person sees as a more major one, so I would totally be open to just making a stand-alone torso filler down the road.

• Like Like x 9
  16. greboguru

Aha, I see, thanks for the answer! I appreciate it. You're definitely correct that the upper arm gaps are much less noticeable. I'd be very excited for the option to buy a stand-alone torso filler, anything to make me feel less frustrated and disappointed with JP93. I know someone here printed a torso filler for the figure, but I can't find the post right now. Meanwhile, I gotta tell you that the knife-and-sheath element of your set is INSPIRED. You rock!

17. greboguru

Do you have the Classics Starscream figure? I'm curious to know how these would look on him. Anyway, thanks for the review!

18. SomethingJ

SomethingJ Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    This is awesome! Love the creativity.

19. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    These have a 3mm peg, so will not work.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Covered in Scorpions, all covered in Scorpions

Hope you don't mind posting this here @Seeaich, just wanted to spread the love.

• Like Like x 2