General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Pcsolyar

Pcsolyar JaAm Connoisseur

I like the look of the V2 blade, but I think I'm still going to go with the V1 since it has a 5mm port I can plug his forearm gun/shield into.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Mechanical Skull Studios is showing more pics. Latest one is effects parts.
    007mjvOBgy1gwi74oo0wzj30u01430zx.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  3. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Not the best photos, but hopefully gives you an idea. The blue is a better looking match in person, to my eyes. But still not perfect. The yellow paint looks perfect. I do wish DNA would have added ankle tilt, but oh well.

20211118_190906.jpg 20211118_190954.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  4. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I think it looks great. Thank you for posting those.

I bought my set today and they're on their way!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Just managed to order a new Road Rage and I'm looking forward to some upgrades that are fitting for her. Something that fix the leg issues are a must but it would be cool if they included some melee weapons and a shield that fit her bodyguard job.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember what was the name of the set that included these weapons:

20211118_200819.jpg

I got them many years ago but I just can't remember what was the name of the actual set or the people who made it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They were made by Junkion Blacksmith they have 2 colours and 2 designs one red and one blue and a set A & B.
    They have also been knocked off for other chinese toys in silver. including some Dinobot and Construction & rescue themed offerings.

Speaking of which you need a part from one of these set to combine the TFC designed Starcats dinobot guns at all as designed as they had that part missing. Shame no one ever thought to make a 3D printed copy so people who don't have that part can still use the set as intended.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

I was hoping it was a case of YMMV but in my case Kingdom Tracks is just a floppy mess. I got the little black tabs from JRC as well as the ebay kit that came with the arm covers, alas Tracks' shins had other plans and the leg clips fall right off.

Before I invest anything further into this lost cause, can anyone provide insights on a better mod kit that doesn't require violent disassembly?

8. Pcsolyar

Pushing the pin further in technically only requires violent assembly, not violent disassembly. I haven't done it myself though so I can't explain it very well, or really comment on if it's involved or dangerous. I think you just punch it in a bit further though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are kinda sucky, but that's because the clips are meant to be glued into place. In which case, they will hold the outer leg plate in place, but won't do a damned thing for the gaps in alt mode.

Mind you, the arm covers aren't that great either. The magnets are too weak, and the flap sits too far out from the arm, leaving, ironically, another, very visible, gap.

• Like Like x 3
  10. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Can confirm the magnet might as well not even be there but it clips in okayish. The gap isn't so bad when the fists are flipped in but in bot mode it's a little aloof. I'd say 3.5/10 on the arm covers.

Makes sense about gluing the clips now that you mention it. Last resort I'll try that.

To be fair, the upgrade kits show a good effort on the designers' part. It's the main bot I'm having issues with. They should've just upscaled the MFT version.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Beauman

Beauman Banned

Definitely ymmv here.
    The magnets keep the arm covers attached well enough for me.
    But I also pressed the arm covers in quite firmly into the area where the magnets attach to. So maybe mine are held by friction as much as they are by the magnets.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

These are fun. Count me in :D 

13. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could be. The tabs on mine don't fit very snugly at all. Even so, there are much stronger magnets available at that size for almost no appreciable increase in cost; and they are strong enough that those tabs would be entirely un-necessary.

But then again, the hinges are poorly structured such that the flaps sit out from the arm, which largely renders the magnet's strength irrelevant.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

I didn't realize that the 3rd party and aftermarket "hip upgrade kit" for SS86 Slag comes with replacement "floating" pieces for the lower knee ratchets. I thought they were for the hips (which seemed odd since those are pinned with a large smooth head pin). The hip upgrade pieces just plug in like a gap filler which both strengthens their grip and fills the gap they plug into. I guess I'll grab one of these when I grab the KBW Waspinator "strengthener" upgrade piece (so that the chest actually "locks" into the/onto the hinge assembly) and a pair of the translucent orange smokestack/pipes/exhaust blast effect KO for Kingdom Rodimus Prime next weekend.

New Joint Strengthening Upgrade Kit For SS86 Slag | eBay

15. Robots78

Robots78 Robotanist

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The hip ratchets are accessible without having to remove those pins. I had a broken hip ratchet on my Slag, I just had to take apart the central pelvis piece (which is screwed together) to gain access to the hip ratchets. The hip parts are just like the knee ratchet parts, but might be slightly different dimensions (I didn't do anything with the knees on mine). I 3D-printed a new part to replace the broken little floating piece.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Pcsolyar

They made my knees looser than the original ratchet on Slag. The hip parts worked fine though

• Like Like x 1
  17. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Red alert either thought of something mindblowing or he's wearing the current trending hairstyle.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Ultra Reverb

Ultra Reverb Well-Known Astro-Creep

It looks like a reference to the "Auto Berserk" episode, when Red Alert gets even more paranoid and buddies up with Starscream.
    tf_rotf00399-188-250-250-80.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  19. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Of course, after getting SG Jetfire, can't find our MW ears set. This was the only early MW kit that worked out the box.

Regardless, going to buy one of those (KO?) ears in clear green.

TFSafari added the pre-order for Go Better Kingdom sideswipe set.

20. SomethingJ

SomethingJ Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    The hip parts are good. The knee parts: the right knee removed some of the flop in the joint, the left is negligible difference between the upgrade and stock part. The knee pieces weren't the focus of my purchase, so I'm not that upset with it.

I also purchased this set, with the fillers and silver painted horns:

Foot Plate/Dragon Horn Upgrade Kit For Studio SS86 Slag Fill Hole in stock! | eBay

May just be my copy, but one horn broke immediately upon install, and all but the little dino feet fillers won't install. Even with a bit of cautious trimming, they just pop out. It seems like the footprint to friction surface area ratio is just off at the design level. Whole set is trash for me. First time I've been this disappointed with a set in a while, but I guess that's just what I get for not going JRC in the first place.

• Like Like x 2