General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

Selects Soundblaster is definitely keeping the Shockwave Lab SL-76 upgrade kit (the one that allows the shoulder's mushroom pegs to slide back for a tape deck mode) but, it's not keeping that kit for the tapedeck mode. It's keeping the kit because, it allows the official "alt mode" to look better since you can leave "engines" parallel to the rest of the "alt mode" (leave them collapsed instead of flaring them out but, they can still flare out in a "V" if that's your thing) and, you can leave the entire arm parallel to the rest of the "alt mode" (slide the shoulder's mushroom pegs all the way into the Shockwave Lab SL-76 upgrade kit then point the end of the arm with the hands toward the rear of the "alt mode". The "alt mode" is still a flying brick but, it's now a reasonable flying brick (e.g junkers/freighters in Star Wars, the Borg in Star Trek, ships in Alien/Aliens/etc., and so on). If only the front of the "alt mode" (the legs) had flip out landing gear that hung down as far as the tape deck hinge does (the weapon is just laying on the glass to keep the front elevated) . . .

20211104_190657.jpg 20211104_190611.jpg 20211104_190556.jpg 20211104_190624.jpg 20211104_190641.jpg 20211104_190814.jpg 20211104_190832.jpg

It's not anything special but, it's far more coherent in that 80s and pre-80s bricks can totally fly as well as exit/renter planetary atmospheres because what even is aerodynamics in Fi-Sci (see what I did there?). More importantly, it doesn't try to pretend that it's anything more than a robot torso essentially lying down like Metroplex, Fortress Maximus, and several other characters do for an "alt mode". You can pop-off the "engines" like always if you don't want bulk above the cockpit (flight/observation deck) and pretend that the folded in hands are engine vents but, there's not anywhere else to really put them even if you had adapters to use in their 5 mm ports.

That's correct, the entire swing out assembly and foot are all held together with 3 screws. The foot is made up of 2 separate pieces (3 if you count the heel spur) so it would be possible for someone to make a replacement piece for the front of the foot (this is actually around 2/3 to 3/4 of the entire foot) and then reuse all the other existing pieces. I don't know if I would trust 3D printing for that though, it would likely need to be created via injection molding for stability/longevity).

People have different tastes and the ability/inability to draw doesn't necessarily dictate those tastes. e.g. I have a wide range of musical tastes and I'm tone deaf but, none of that prevents me from being able to tell when someone else can/can't sing or if they are/aren't out of key and/or sharp/flat even when it's in a genre that I don't like.

• Like Like x 2
  2. STRAKER454

STRAKER454 Police Box Traveler

Yeah I would prefer injection molding for a part like that, lol. I'm fine with some 3D printed add-ons but not for everything. I'm hoping to see some good options from 3rd Parties for this. So far I'm not too into what I've seen for the feet yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Received the 115 Utopia Kingdom Ultra Magnus kit in the mail.

The shoulder pylon gap fillers are on the verge of being too tight but is able to wedge in. The print and paint quality are actually quite nice and have an obvious jump in quality compared to some other recent kits like their awful Doubledealer and Twin Twist weapon sets.

However, the matrix holder piece is just total garbage. Do NOT use. Do NOT install. I figured it was going too good with 115 until I installed it. There's no clearance for the head panel. How flipping stupid do you have to be to not realize that. You can actually force the head panel to rotate inward, which rubs against the matrix holder. However, the matrix holder will then not allow the head panel to rotate back out. I had to remove the head and then force pressure down the middle of the matrix holder to get the head panel back out. There's no tabs or anything to grip on to get the matrix holder back out either. I eventually used some thin hex wrenches to get the darn thing out. Haven't been this pissed off at an "upgrade" part in quite some time. It went into the recycling bin right afterward.

115 Utopia shoulder pylon gap fillers. Also shown are repainted Dr. Wu gap fillers everywhere else (originally for Siege UM; shoulder pylon gap fillers in that set are not compatible with Kingdom UM).
    kum1.jpg

This is trash. Do not use. Throw away.
    kum2.jpg

Also received the ZX Galvatron set in the mail. I was more disappointed than pleased with this. There's too many print nubs on the various pieces (except for the spire) and the print quality was pretty bad compared to some previous sets. Reminded me of their subpar Datsun kits. I noticed that the sets with MSS collaboration tend to have better quality parts. Anyhow, my spire also cracked rendering it useless. I had already made my own custom necklace and matrix holder, so not using that. Also not using the pin covers or labels.

I repainted the feet with matte black, which improved the substandard print quality immensely and hid the various print lines. I cut off all the leftover nubs on the rifle and repainted it, also improving the look a lot. Also painted a little bit more of the handle so that none of the white shows through when holding.

I'm not sure if I want to go through the effort of repairing the spire, which was the main reason of getting the set. I guess I could cover the crack with some leftover casting resin and then sand over it. The spire opening needs to be wider and filed down.

I may show off some pics later if I decide to fix the spire.

Edit: There's no point in repairing the crack. It will just crack all over again. 3d printed stuff is brittle and cannot flex to accommodate the spire hinge. The connector area should've been made in 2 parts (one to go on each side of the hinge nubs) and then screwed together.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

I'm starting to see more and more reports of cracked spires from the ZX Kingdom Galvatron upgrade set so, I'll just roll the dice by waiting and hope that Go Better Studio or someone else does one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. egrudzin

egrudzin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ditto being super disappointed in the ZX Galvatron kit. Here's some problems:
    The Spire:
    - Mine didn't crack but as mentioned before it doesn't tab in right in cannon mode. The slot in the bottom isn't big enough.
    - The paint match isn't good. Purple is hard to match and Galvatron already has like 3 shades of purple, but I repainted mine.
    - Hoping for another maker to come out with a better one - really makes a difference - the Hasbro one just looks chopped off compared to it - like they had to make it shorter to fit it in the box or something?
    The Feet
    - You can't flip in/out the heel spurs with out removing them
    - They feel a little too long to me. Probably necessary for them to be this size since they have to plug in. But the whole leg assembly is held with screws, I'm hoping another manufacturer can just remold a new whole foot that incorporates the "pointy" aspect but not as big as this
    Shoulder fillers:
    - again, color is off
    - the sculpt doesn't really match the mold of the shoulder - not sure what they were thinking
    Gun
    - It's painted a grey color that's nowhere else on the figure, not sure why it's not black?
    - The barrel is blast effect compatible so that's good!
    Matrix Chain
    - It's good! Does the job just right.
    Stickers
    - Pretend they're not included. Print quality is faded, low-res. It's cheap paper sticker. Mine weren't even cut! Trash.

Verdict: Skip it, not worth $20. Hopefully DNA or Matrix workshop will do better eventually!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    How is the Matrix Worshop Kit for SG Megatron, I heard the cannons are kind of loosey goosey, can anyone confirm who has it in hand?

7. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Hey, is ToyHax/Reprolabels stuff discussed in this thread? Or is there an "official" thread for that?

8. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still looking for the Original Shockwave Lab Soundwave or (the black repaint) Soundblaster kits to turn them into Tape mode - but the older version with the holes in them (see image).

If anyone can hook me up please let me know. (Ideally somewhere that ships to the UK)

SL-51-Upgrade-Kit-for-Siege-Voyager-Soundwave-01.jpeg

9. ziltama

News Credits:
    Thought about the ZX Galvatron set some more...yeah, it's just awful. Not recommended. I am not going to attempt to fix the spire, since it will just crack again. 3d printed plastic is brittle and is not made to bend around connectors. Filing away more material will then just make it too loose to stay on. The joint connector should not have been one solid piece. It should've been 2 parts, which is then secured with a screw.

There is a separate toyhax thread although mainly for complaints. Some of their non-label stuff like accessories get mentioned here. Granted, they haven't been very good, but still, that would be fair game.

I personally have tried 3 different "generations" of their resin casted accessories. Only was happy with their TR / LG Galvatron helmet although had some qc / clean up issues. Everything else was pretty bad, including their earlier 'armory' attempt.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pcsolyar

Pcsolyar JaAm Connoisseur

I've only bought one thing from their armory, a rifle for Smokescreen, but I was happy with it. Unfortunately they changed their color options and you can't get a matte white anymore, just pearlescent. Wish I'd bought a second one for Prowl when I had the chance

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lockdown91

Lockdown91 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got my ZX Galvatron kit in today, was not aware of any breakages with the spire, mine snapped on okay but will be cautious with it. It does the job of improving Galvatron's look and silhouette. The gun will go to Selects Galvatron when I get him, as I already have the MW gun for Kingdom Galvatron, and hoping the grey on this new one matches the Selects repaint.

The matrix chain is pretty cool and less clunky than the stock one. I don't like his new feet, didn't like the look from pictures but thought they may look better in hand but nah, not a fan.

I also got the MW set for Slag with the sword, back piece and extra blaster, its a nice kit and plugs in with no issues or modding needed as has been the case with some past MW kits I've had. Gotta figure out who to give the spare blaster too though as he doesn't need two.

I also got the Go Better kit for Wreck Gar but not installed it yet.

I do wish more companies moved away from 3d printed and move to resin casted items but I realise that would drive the cost up significantly.

12. CyberDragon10K

CyberDragon10K Predacon Rising

DNA Designs is also eternally behind on their releases because of needing to ready moulds for the casting/injecting.

For the 3D printing, coloured filament would at least be a step in the right direction... but paint labour must be cheaper than having to print in multiple colours or what have you.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum on the ZX Galvatron set. My spire is fine, print is fine, only thing I'm changing is the feet paint because I prefer a matte black because it just blends better.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    This may be a material mass variance QC issue on your copy of the part, or on the translucent blue section it clips over on your Magnus. The Matrix compartment part I receive as a part of my set has added a clicking/rub point on the holder but it does not prevent me redeploying the head, and I too was worried about removing it but it turned out that a PVA glue spatula, as can be found in many cheap children's craft kits, easily slotted in to pop it out.
    One just half-rotates the neck panel so one can slip the spatulate head between the lip of the cab roof, and the top edge of the new section. It very easily comes out when gently levered.
    If I may ask did you install it with the side in this image you posted facing outward thru Mags' windshields?

15. ziltama

News Credits:
    No, I installed it the other way like it's supposed to. It shouldn't rub against the head panel at all, regardless.

It's ridiculous how poorly designed it was. A simple notch would have been fine and not affect the outer appearance.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    To be honest I found the new "catch" eliminated a bit of neck panel wiggle in both modes but your experience has clearly differed.

17. ziltama

News Credits:
    Well, and repeatedly forcing the matrix holder to warp in order to move the head panel will eventually cause it to crack since 3d plastic isn't supposed to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    As I stated, I don't have to force my copy the way you had to yours, it's an easy click (and believe me I am not a particularly muscular individual - so it isn't my comparative strength) that doesn't warp the holder as far as I can tell. I've had tougher clip points on stock figures (admittedly usually ABS parts, up to the task of taking that force).
    I'll let you know if you were right if/when it eventually breaks but you are judging solely from a single copy not a number of them to make such a sweeping judgement.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ziltama

News Credits:
    If you have to use a tool like a spatula to get something out, you are bending something. The spatula is likely blocking the view then.

This is also coming from experience with multiple other 115 botches...it's not isolated like the ZX spire. As example, the 115 DD kit was the first and only time I've ever seen nylon parts break with intended use.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Now I have some respect for the IMO exacting but fair reviews you do but it's rather rude to state that someone else is not as aware as you are of their figures' parts interactions, one click, one spatula, no bending...

I'll admit it is a little tougher when having to do the 'click' without both hands on the figure when one has a phone in the other to film but as you can see the spatula does not "block my view" of your imagined "bending", the spatula just allows me to prise the Matrix plate up, easily sliding off it's "posts".
    I've also clicked the neck panel numerous times now in testing, and I am yet to experience even the paint wear I was expecting to have happened by now due to it.
    Our experiences have varied, I am not saying you are wrong, merely observing your understandable frustration is skewing you towards a negative representation from a very small sample size. I suspect your copy may have been overpainted in it's ports, or if not a mild QC variance where the screw points it uses as "posts" may have slightly excess plastic or flashing/spruing of some sort that made it way too tight, I believe you have received a bad copy but your overall assessment is overstatement.
    I'd like to end this here respectfully as I say, I do value your judgement, and your reporting on these 3P accessories is greatly appreciated. It's not a pot shot, simply my observation that in my case I have received a different quality of the same item, and presenting this may be the case for others, and if they want to take the risk they may want to try it with such a relatively IMO cheap but potentially rewarding upgrade.

• Like Like x 6