General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    No, I mean having Rodimus hold on to his colleagues' stuff, too. My Rodimus trailer also stores four of the Nonnef legends weapons, Kup's Energon goodies, and Hot Rod's stock accessories. Not sure the trailer could hang on to much more, at least not neatly. I've tried.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Probably because they always break after continuous use. The materials they're made out of can't stand up to prolongued stress of use.

3. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible TFW2005 Supporter

There are a couple ways to do articulation cheaply, notably with a ball joint, though tolerances could be an issue there. I just find these legs to be inconveniently in the way all the time. Say what you will about the OG BW figures, but I could usually find some way to pose the legs that was aesthetically satisfactory. These are just so... there.

4. KibblerGrrrl

KibblerGrrrl Rejected mini-cassette prototype

I haven't been able to find Waspinator locally yet, but his insect legs bug me too. I've been wondering if it might be possible to take the spider legs off a couple KO "Iron Spider" Spider-Man figures to repurpose for poor Waspy?

5. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Yeah, not to mention not working out the box either. I'm aware some people had better luck, but others, including myself, had to mod them in order to work. Off-set molding = oversized pegs, undersized ports.

• Like Like x 1
  6. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

I've never had a single one break on me, ever.
    Most of the ones I've gotten have worked perfectly. Occasionally a little sharing or a piece of tape to thicken is needed, but not often. That's been my experience.

• Like Like x 2
  7. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Got the Galvatron kit today. Works great, the purple on the spire is a pretty good match. Only downside is the feet can fall off kind of easily. Sticks weren't precut and were ruined almost instantly. Still, well worth it for me. 20211027_184130_(1).jpg 20211027_184035.jpg 20211027_183851_(1).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Watch for waspies

Still hoping on a forearm gap kit for Galvatron that transforms with the figure.

9. HAL237

HAL237 Star Saber Backer #1

News Credits:
    Got the Galvatron upgrade kit in the mail today… overall it’s a super solid set! Worth it for the feet and spire alone, though the chain and gun are quite nice as well. Everything tabs in nicely and the color matching is pretty darn good. Recommended!

44DD7141-CE7E-4C14-94FE-2190F32F6F13.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  10. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Then I guess I'm just that unlucky then, because the ones I used for Hound and Mirage's missiles, Ironhide's back-weapon storage and every sword-mounting on Volcanicus all eventually broke.

12. Racer_J

Racer_J Well-Known Member

And just like that, Galvatron forever sounds and moves like Christopher Walken after he stole footwear off the Breaking Bad set . . .

• Like Like x 3
  13. ziltama

News Credits:
    Various Kits Part 1

1. Go Better Van Wheels

There appears to be 2 tiers of Go Better quality. One is buttery smooth and the other is not. This set is of the latter. It's not bad but not like some of their other kits. All 4 wheels are not the same. The rear ones have a wider split mushroom peg compare to the front wheels (they're also labeled F and R). The black is a matte black finish whereas the rims are in silver. The matte hides the print marks very well. The silver makes them obvious.

Go Better wheels on left versus stock on right.
    van1.jpg

The matte black on the wheels look good up close. The silver only accentuates the print lines.
    van2.jpg

One way to make it look better is by spraying flat clear coats. This will give a more aluminum type look. I did that for the Ironhide wheels on the right.
    van3.jpg

The flat metallic does a better job at hiding print marks.
    van4.jpg

Of course, I didn't want to risk breaking the pegs on the Ratchet ones getting them off to paint over with flat clear coats. I ended up putting Ratchet into a plastic baggy, cut slits into the bag over the rims, stretched the openings over the bottom part of the wheels and used a blunt flat tool to tuck the plastic bag over the top of the wheels. Now only the wheels were exposed to spray flat clear coats over.

Core Megatron Cannon by ? Group

The preview pics looked so bad that I thought it was nylon. It's actually very smooth but the paint finish makes it look bad in pics....and in real life. They used this glittery gunmetal that looks awful and doesn't match the metallics on Megatron.

It doesn't look too bad in this pic. However, the replacement cannon is a bit shorter than I'd like.
    coremeg1.jpg

Both connector pegs are painted over. The 5mm peg actually didn't have paint scraping issues. The 3mm peg, well, scraped off right away when placed into Megatron's hands...leaving behind a white peg eyesore.
    coremeg2.jpg

Bot mode.
    coremeg3.jpg

Closer look. The paint scraped off right away on the 3mm peg. The paint job just makes it look worse with the underlying plastic being very smooth.
    coremeg4.jpg

Unfortunately, there's no great way to fix the 3mm peg issue unless you use a dyeing method. I did end up doing that and repainting over with matte black. Now it looks better.
    coremeg5.jpg

Perfect Effect Godsword in Shattered Glass deco. It's a modular set. Some parts only work on the Classics OP molds, such as the shield attachments (which have a bizarre 4 2/3mm hole). The base handle is a hair under 5mm although fits snug at the base of the hilt.

"Small" sword mode.
    sgop1.jpg

Full sword mode.
    sgop2.jpg

Two handed mode.
    sgop3.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  14. ziltama

News Credits:
    Various Kits Part 2

Shockwave Lab LED Unicron Eyes Kit

Overall, the kit is too bright. I don't see a great way to splice in resistors either. I did come up with a stop-gap measure, though.

The black plastic doesn't feel 3d printed. I think the original part was 3d printed, though. The clear plastic is extremely smooth but has that dry looking feel and finish to it.

There is a way to finish the clear printed parts to look and feel like injection molded parts via lacquer clear coats. Left is with multiple lacquer clear coats and right is the original.
    uni1.jpg

Different views of the eye pieces.
    uni2.jpg

This is Metroplex's eye which has a large magnet embedded inside. This is to operate the magnet throw switches in the eyes. This also received the lacquer clear coat finish treatment.
    uni6.jpg

Installation was annoying. I couldn't get the eye pieces / gears lined up at exact 90 degree angles. Settled for barely turned in on both sides, which ended up being correct.

Without the lights on, it looks good.
    uni3.jpg

However, the LEDs are uncovered and blinding without the face shield on. Can't look directly at them.
    uni4.jpg

The LEDs aren't blinding like this but light up too much of the face around the eyes.
    uni5.jpg

One stop gap measure is to use a crafts cutting machine to cut out 4mm circles from green electrical tape. Used that to cover up the LEDs. Now I can look directly at the LEDs without the face shield on. It may not seem that much different in the pic, but it's a lot better this way.
    uni7.jpg

Again, may not seem that much different in pics, but it's definitely better with electrical tape circles covering the LEDs.
    uni8.jpg

The LEDs don't protrude enough to come up with a cap to cover them. The electrical tape circles aren't that stable since they're over a curved surface. The circles are too small to try cutting slits.

Tim Heada Shattered Glass Starscream Set

I really wanted to like this set but TH QC problems strike again.

The main issues: potential to scrape paint off the sword handles, paint easily chips off the arm attachments especially around the ports, and the red side pegs are undersized and worthless.

Paint chipped off immediately when using the ports. The port holes were also painted inside, and the paint inside the ports kept coming off and onto whatever was plugged inside. The port holes and tunnel for the sword handles are tight, but then are too tight when painted. Regardless, they should've been on the looser side to avoid scraping paint off the sword handles. I eventually used a 5mm drill bit to clean out the ports and the sword handle tunnels.

The handle adapter for dual wielding also has fairly tight ports. Removing the blasters was quite difficult. I also used a 5mm drill bit to loosen up the ports.

The Go Better tailfin that came with my order was much better in comparison. It just fits and works.

Example of chipping:
    sgkit1.jpg

The other one wasn't much better either.
    sgkit2.jpg

I filed down the areas around the chips and repainted the whole thing. Luckily, I have matching paint. Decided to leave the whole thing red as we liked how that looked. Below is the parts layout and repainted arm pieces.
    sgkit5.jpg

Looks good in a setup like this.
    sgkit3.jpg

If your set includes the Go Better tailfin, it can stay on without partsforming if you don't transform the thrusters panel.
    sgkit4.jpg

Forearm placement is possible but then it won't be centered on the arm.
    sgkit6.jpg

Underside view. The middle port is what gets primarily used. The side port is useless since undersized.
    sgkit7.jpg

I think this is what alt mode is supposed to be if the side pegs were used. However, they can't stay on since undersized.
    sgkit8.jpg

However, the center peg can still be used in a couple different ways.
    sgkit9.jpg

Really wanted to like this set but the QC issues were irritating to deal with.

• Like Like x 8
  15. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

I'm having a brain-fart but which feet upgrades are those again for the Ironhide and Ratchet mold?

16. Racer_J

Racer_J Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  17. John TL

John TL Well-Known Member

I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on the BDT Studio BDT-16 BDT16 Siege Hound weapon set. Does anyone have it? It looks pretty cool if you want to weapon him up a lot.

0056B401-CF16-4712-9317-7FEDB576BC07.jpeg 7D165375-12CB-4161-9311-ED89C3DB0EE6.jpeg C063247C-4B36-4267-A599-D6FB7BA891B6.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  18. ziltama

News Credits:
    It's the set on eBay with rotatable feet. Dunno who makes them. The ironhide feet should be ok. The early Ratchet feet were bad but the later batches are apparently fine. Mine were early. I repainted them and sawed in the partially missing panel lines. I also undid the screws to allow for partsforming to make the feet not look swapped in bot mode.

• Like Like x 1
  19. John TL

John TL Well-Known Member

Looking at BDT Studio BDT-06 Ejectors for Diege Mirage. This looks like it’s been out for a long time. Does anyone have this upgrade? How’s the fit?

9A3791FE-70B1-4A6F-B081-870043217EA8.jpeg 8310804D-5B55-46D9-A414-6AE2D28BAAF6.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  20. Hooper_X

Hooper_X i buy characters not collectibles

I wonder if it wouldn't be feasible to line the inside of Unicron's face with opaque material - I know some folks might be loathe to paint a $600 figure like that, but like, black vinyl or something to keep the LEDs from backlighting the face would potentially work.

• Like Like x 2