General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    I like it, BUT, they've missed a trick in not having the wrist covers incorporate fake arm-doors for a proper G1 look. Hoping someone does some for Sideswipe at least

2. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see why wrist fillers are a minor technical challenge for Sideswipe - due to how he Transforms - but I don't think it's "impossible" to solve.
    I do get a bit frustrate when you get a pretty much complete set of fillers for something like Core Class Starscream & yet when it comes to deluxes pieces so often get missed out that still need fillers. like the underside arm pit of the aforementioned Sideswipe.

But I really wish someone would make fillers for Cyberverse toys more often - especially Skullcruncher and Rack 'n' Ruin. Skullcruncher would be easy to do as his fore arms & thighs are just hollow and wouldn't be effected by transformation at all. Though Huffer style back of the leg covers would be wonderful to have too.. that is a big problem with a lot of Cyberverse toys... kinda like their lack of guns is.

That is why I often think "why doesn't someone copy the Guns from the cyberverse show" say who the weapons are for and then cross promote them with other kinds of toys too - sometimes the Cyberverse weapons are even based on previous;y existing weapons too.

What with the possibility of a lot of 2022 toys having only clear weapons some guns wouldn't go amiss I feel and why not help out Cyberverse collectors at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Go Better nails it again. I'm not totally enamored of the spoilers, but they did a gap filler for the fucking knee! I've been saying we need a fucking knee gap filler since this mold dropped! Also, the arm covers are fantastic and the cannon looks great too. I already have the JRC spoilers (and Nonnef weapons), but I may chase this one down for the gap fillers.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

AFAICT, that entire canopy looks to be detachable. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with an Animated-style backpack that can fold down into "chair mode", the real issue would be the cost. That's a big hunk of plastic, most likely.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Saw the DNA Design Kingdom set. Curious if any of the 3d print groups will accuse then of copying again.

DNA is still way behind on sets regardless.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the Animated backpack, I'm thinking it could be a replacement rear covering, possibly still able to turn into a shield as well. I'm not a huge fan of plastic mimicking fabric, so I wouldn't mind if it was designed to look more like the back of AOE Hound's truck mode, or even to turn him into a personnel carrier like in Animated.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Echowarrior

Echowarrior Well-Known Member

Given the fact that so much in that set has been done by other people already, odds are that it won't be a big seller.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    I guess Hasbro/Takara should accuse 3D print groups and Third Parties as a whole of copying their designs as well.

Seriously, there needs to be some self-awareness here. In the realm of Third Parties it doesn't matter who copies who but who excels at it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

Honestly, I'll probably bite on this one as a one-stop option rather than piecing it together from other sets. Plus, it's got the mutant head for Megatron, which I haven't seen anywhere else (although I haven't looked too hard).

10. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

[​IMG]

Clearly I also purchase upgrade kits and the like, but let's not kid ourselves about the extent to which 3P content is a form of plagiarism. How many of these companies could make an original transforming robot design that people would willingly spend money on? They're dickriding Hasbro/Taktom's IP and we all know it.

Otherwise, Wei Jiang would still be in business and Glacialord wouldn't be on deep deep clearance nearly a decade later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  12. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Need, and in Sideswipe colours too please Go Better.

• Like Like x 2
  13. NickKnack13

NickKnack13 Robo-Zoo Keeper

News Credits:
    Most of it looks extremely similar, but a lot of them can be excused with "how else would you possibly engineer this?"

I'll be keeping an eye out for the repaint with Nemesis, T-Wrecks and Shadow Panther parts. I want that mutant mask for T-Wrecks REALLY bad lol

• Like Like x 4
  14. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Have everything already....except megs' battle mask. Which I must have. If anyone is getting this and NOT needing the battle helmet for megs please DM me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would suggest to Go Better that some underarm fillers would be nice to have too.

I would also like to know if the hatches on the forearms open and allow transformation to vehicle mode without removal ?

But they can sell them in every colour under the sun. i think the shoulder launcher is somewhat superflous though. But I am pleased to see the forearm and front of leg fillers.

Incidentally the Micromaster Magnetic fillers if painted fit fine in Sideswipe's roof hole. they are even the right height and can be easily removed if pushed from the underside.

If anyone can point me at the elk cheap i'd be most grateful

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  16. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

They do, there was a video posted earlier in the thread:

微博视频

17. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I picked up some sets. I got one Matrix Workshop kit for Studio Series Wreck-Gar. It came with a G1 toy-style rifle and a silver pipe. For robot mode, the idea is that he holds one end, and his pinwheel goes into the other.

[​IMG]

Well, the pipe's not great. The end that goes into his hand is way too loose, and the end the pinwheel plugs into is too tight. I'm worried about scratching paint.

The gun, though, is fine. No fit issues. And it's really all I wanted from the kit, so...

[​IMG]

The pipe's supposed to be an exhaust for bike mode. In that sense, I guess it works, it's just not cartoon accurate or anything I needed. Fits fine, though. The rifle... well, the magazine on it prevents it from lying parallel to his leg the way the pipe does. But if you want a G1 accuracy I guess sacrifices need to be made. Honestly, I think Wreck-Gar could have used another 5mm port or two. Maybe under the saddlebags.

I also picked up Go Better's filler kit for Warpath. Now, I really like a lot of what Go Better's doing, and their designs are getting more and more ambitious and clever. That said, this one may be too clever. See, everything fits fine for his robot mode...

[​IMG]

The problem, though, is that it transforms, like a lot of their newer kits. The idea is that the filler folds over at the hinge (near the arrow in the above picture) and that fills in the front of the tank without the need for that goofy shield thing that didn't even fully fill the front of the tank. But, there isn't really enough clearance.

[​IMG]

See, the filler folds over on itself fine, but then as you transform the rest of his foot the piece circled above needs to go past the filler, but the hinge (marked with the arrow) is in the way. Transforming the foot first doesn't help, since the hinge is still there. And you can't remove the filler, transform the foot, then put the filler back in because the same circled bit sits over where the filler plugs in. All you can really do is try to bend the circled part around the hinge and hope you don't stress or break anything.

[​IMG]

Can't really argue with the results, though. As noted, the foot filler fills out the front of the tank in a way that the stock shield failed to do.

• Like Like x 7
  18. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    The Go Better Warpath set transforms fine...once you get used to the new transformation scheme. It does work with the fillers in place. Their video link:
    微博视频

• Like Like x 4
  19. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    From Pulsecon it's looking like the Mace is actually a 2-part full fist encapsulation, so we just need a fist cap with chain/other method wrecking ball line to sort him out.

Hoping the lack of Dinobot extras in the DNA Kingdom set means they have an all-Dinobot gear set to come!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jazzer995

Jazzer995 Well-Known Member

I had a question for anyone who bought the 115 Weapon Kit for SS Sentinel Prime; can the new swords be stored in the shield in vehicle mode instead of being stuck out to the sides like the product shots show?