General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Echowarrior

Echowarrior Well-Known Member

Definitely looking forward to ordering these as soon as they're available.

2. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    超人制造v (translation?) released their own Tracks set. This group also accused DNA Design of stealing their designs (for MPM-12).

Some pics from sweetmall's listing and some from the group's weibo:
    3D DIY Leg Stability Parts Arm Cover Upgrade Kit For Kingdom Tracks Road Rage | eBay
    s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg 002mqLc8gy1guweklphjnj62o03k0x6p02.jpg 002mqLc8gy1guwekjs9g9j62o03k0x6p02.jpg

We don't ever plan on getting Tracks but curious if wedging hobby or vinyl tape is enough to get those nylon pieces to stick rather than resorting to glue. The magnet is a clever idea.

Edit: fixed nylon pieces (said vinyl earlier)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  3. Pcsolyar

Pcsolyar JaAm Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Damn, I just put an order in to sweetmall-1 this afternoon for some other stuff. These will probably be in my next order. If someone puts the arm pieces up separate that'd be nice. Don't need those nylon bits for the leg with the @Robots78 piece, but it's a nice option for those who don't like partsforming.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ziltama

News Credits:
    Wonderfullys has their own repaints of the Shattered Glass Starscream set.
    New Shoulder Armor Upgrade Kit For Siege Shattered Glass Starscream - To choose | eBay

The repaints are the 2nd and 3rd sets. I thought left was stock. After comparing pics from various listings, I think it's their version of the stock deco but they forgot to paint the bottom end white. All other listings and pics have that part painted over in white. The other sets are definitely painted over in white. Despite the pics, the listing doesn't have the Go Better tail fin.
    s-l1600 (4).jpg

Pulse is of course way, way, way behind releasing the SG figures compared to Asia. Some of these SG sets may actually sell out before the Pulse release. The listings that added the Go Better tail fins have sold out as example.

I believe @Dachande has them. They come in silver or gold painted versions.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Tigatron01

Tigatron01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ziltama

News Credits:
    These are the same repurposed crappy KFC hands. This particular type has the imploding fingers and most definitely not recommended. The 5mm nylon peg adapter doesn't even fit proper into the hand. From what I've been told from others, not ALL KFC hands are like this. Just this particular one that is being sold for all the leader figures on eBay.

Edit: The long out of print Shockwave Lab hands are much better than this.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tigatron01

Tigatron01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thx for the heads up:) , guess ill try to track down the shockwave lab hands after all.

Also anyone know about the quality on this? kit HIGH QUALITY Upgrade KIT FOR Titans Return LG60 Overlord Helmet/Weapon/Fill NEW | eBay im mainly after the waste extender and feet, so it dosnt matter to me if the rest is junk

8. SomethingJ

SomethingJ Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Those two components are good quality on the set I ordered. The gun is an improvement as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wreck Gar bits arrived from TfSafari, easy to install and the fit is pretty nice. The sticker for the TV needs to be trimmed right down to fit.
    IMG_20211011_101827.jpg IMG_20211011_103649.jpg IMG_20211011_103909.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  10. Lockdown91

Lockdown91 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah so I have both those kits:

The hands are nice to pose around, if a little loose but not too bad on my copy, and none of the fingers have "imploded" they're more poseable than the Shockwave Labs ones. Some comparison notes:
    • Those new hands are available easily from multiple places now, as where the SW labs ones are difficult to come by, and have an obvious 3d print quality to them, the new ones have more posability.
    • The Nylon pieces are a pain, but do work well enough on my copy, it has a longer channel for holding 5mm ports which means it holds weapons better than the SW labs ones, which has a very small channel, which I fear will snap eventually, the gun from the second set you posted was too loose in the SW labs hand because of this, but fits perfectly in the new hands. The cons of the nylon bit though, which could be a big turn off, is that the fingers cannot wrap all the way around the nylon piece/gun handle, but when holding weapons is kinda hidden.

The quality of this kit is pretty decent and well painted for the most part, but you can tell its 3d printed, but it's on the higher end. I only have TR Overlord so the shoulder pieces are a noticeable different shade of white, not sure if it matches better to the legends figure. The torse extender is great, stays on for jet mode, slightly extends the leg sections away in base mode but doesn't ruin it. The feet pieces are cool, and the gun is awesome.

Mine didn't come with the head piece but I probably wouldn't have used it anyways.

They are expensive kits though, but overall glad I got them.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The seller offered me $4 credit. I said no, that I wanted a refund for two.
    They responded saying they'd send me a new one, but BOTH parties are at fault for the damage.
    I replied asking why I am held accountable for defective items.

Gads this is annoying.
    Seller is llt-store.

• Like Like x 7
  12. ziltama

News Credits:
    We have 3 sets of those style hands: 2 black, 1 blue (which is just painted over). The fingers imploded on installation and when trying to make a fist. They can't be flexed past a certain point, which is rather easy to do. If you don't intend to make anything near a fist, then it may be ok.

The hands in general are quite useless for Generations figures without some sort of peg adapter. The nylon peg adapters look awful in-hand and require a lot of trimming to fit the hand mold. It was also too loose and wedged tape in there to fit. Granted, they could have since adjusted the adapter and printed a new version that actually fits proper.

Another thought: the nylon adapter also prevents the fingers from closing in, which in turn, may prevent them from imploding.

These are some pics of the blue hands. Going to put the Shockwave Lab hands back on soon. Don't want to find finger bits all over the rug when my kid is playing with the figure.

This is after trimming one side of the nylon piece to fit in the hand. Trimming nylon is a major pain compared to other plastics. I wedged hobby tape on the adapter tab to have it stay in place.
    hand1.jpg

This is more representative of "out the box". I reversed the adapter so the untrimmed side is closer to the base. The only reason this is even barely holding on is because of the tape.
    hand2.jpg

This took less than 2 seconds to do. A proper hand would never have this happen. The joints use a nub / dimple joint style but is way too shallow. I don't like the hands enough to actually attempt a pinning mod.
    hand3.jpg

Edit:
    The bare plastic hands act the same. Takes very little (and accidental) force for the fingers to come apart.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

Does anyone make 5mm peg extensions? Would be really helpful for something like Nonnef's Slag sword so he wouldn't look like he's about to strike you with the flat of his sword.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. ziltama

News Credits:
    Dubious sword design choices aside, you would need a 5mm coupler and a 5mm peg. Outside of weirdos like me who have custom made parts like that on hand, these are difficult to source.

I have found that no US seller of metric tubing or rods has proper measurements (uxcell on Amazon is a joke and not even close, they use closest standard sizes). Have to import them (even then, can still be a crap shoot). Ideally, you would make one by using a 5mm rod and 7mm tubing with 1mm walls (for 5mm inner diameter). Any 3d printed coupler would need thicker walls due to low tensile strength.

Although I don't have a picture of Slug atm, this is one with Grimlock using couplers included with a 3p sword and some additional 5mm pegs that I threw in.
    [​IMG]

The SL hands are much better and don't fall apart. Each finger part is pinned in place. However, for Overlord mold, the utility is not as good as the Ginrai version. No one has made actual replacement hands for Overlord mold. These just plug into the stock hands, which are then placed into closed position. There's no way to hide or store these in alt mode (without looking completely ridiculous with hands hanging off the back). The trailer encloses the hands regardless for Ginrai, so works good for him.

The built in 5mm peg holder works much better. Even without a weapon, the thumb can easily hide it when moved over it.
    hands4.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Shapeways used to have some, but I couldn't tell you if they still do or not

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chareos

Chareos needs new Omnibots

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Lockdown91

Lockdown91 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm strange, I never had any of those issues with my Overlord hands, regarding the imploding finger issues. I can make fists for both hands, my Overlord is one of my most messed with figures as well. And I got the hands relatively early on when they showed up on Ebay.

The nylon piece was a pain to get in, but I got it in his right hand snug and elected to just leave it in forever, nylon really is a pain to mod as I've never found it easy to sand/file down.

My Shockwave labs hands got moved on to my Black Shadow instead, and I just pulled him out and remembered that the 5mm channel on his left hand had actually snapped when I put his stock weapon in, due to the brittle 3d print of them. Managed to glue it back together but don't want to risk using it to hold things.

Tbh I have little interest in posing figures with splayed out hands etc. I'd bin both hands if someone came up with simple replacement fists that is just a solid fist but with a wrist swivel.

Was holding out hope someone would make replacement hands for Dai Atlas with wrist swivels as it would be really simple to do, 3 screws to take the lower arm apart, then just a replacement piece with a rotatable hand.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RIDRuination

RIDRuination Well-Known Member

Has anyone looking into making Flight Stands for the Earthrise seekers at all? Really the only thing I want for them that seems possibly feasible outside of better hands which seem like they’d be a headache.

19. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    They should work with most figure stands

• Like Like x 4
  20. ziltama

News Credits:
    Standard locking stands with 3mm pegs can hold up the original trio Seekers just fine. Depending on how the stand is constructed, one may need a right angle peg. You have to lower the crotch plate, which has the flight stand port.

The Coneheads are a different matter. One has to undo the shin guards in order to lower the crotch plate. This doesn't look very good. The only other option is to use dual stand arms with 5mm pegs and use the ports diagonal from each (otherwise, the plane will just do a nosedive if you're using the same ports on each side).

Bandai Action Base 4 is a good all-around stand system. However, the included 3 to 5mm adapter (as with all Bandai 3 to 5mm adapters) has an oversized outer diameter. Needs to be filed down to avoid getting stuck in TF ports (and then breaking to remove). If you pay more than $10, then you're getting overcharged. One stand set is enough to hold one seeker. Two are needed if you want to hold up a Seeker without lowering the crotch plate (and again, need to file down the 3 to 5mm adapter).

One stand holding up Earthrise Starscream:
    [​IMG]

Flip the codpiece panel to expose the flight stand port.
    [​IMG]

Using parts from 2 stands to hold up ER Ramjet withOUT lowering the crotch panel.
    [​IMG]

To prevent the plane from taking a nosedive, use the front side port on one side and the back side port on the other. This setup uses the right angle and 5mm adapters (filed down outer diameter to prevent getting stuck).
    [​IMG]

When filing down the adapter, test fit on a (hand) port that has access from both sides. In case it does get stuck, you can use an accessory peg to push back out. Of course, don't want to overdo it and end up loose. Snug is good.

The blast effects are custom (NFS).

• Like Like x 10