General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Yes! Preferably based in the States. I ordered their repro stickers for G1 Sideswipe, since I picked up a sealed box copy of the old TRU reissue and the reissue doesn't have the Lambo badge. They shipped two weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived. I've got stuff from China faster.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Lazy Eyebrow is working on a spoiler set for the Kingdom Lambo mold that incorporates the air scoops, just like I'd been hoping someone would find a way to do:
    Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 10.41.24.png

• Like Like x 13
  3. Lockdown91

Lockdown91 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I finally got a dispatch notice from TF Safari with my ZX Studio Grimlock upgrade on the 7th August! I also ordered a clear chest piece for Grimmy off of Ebay too! Excited to get them in hand.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Has to be out of US for lax copyright laws, especially for faction logos. Not that there aren't individual US sellers of unlicensed ones, but Hasbro would definitely go after any organized group in the US.

The ZX kit is pretty good. That kit is sold out everywhere. There's also the clear yellow neck pieces set on eBay.

The Nemesis Primal set could easily go with Optimus Primal except for the screw hole covers.

With the exception of the ZX chest filler, which is not good at all, you can put both sets of upgrades on Optimus Primal at the same time, although need to be careful with head position to avoid scuffing the mutant mask on the chest filler.

The ZX mask does fit Nemesis Primal, so I hope they do a NP version soon. However, they appear to be busy making more Jazz kits due to the DNA Design drama.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    An ideal solution that would tempt me to actually get an Ark would be if their were side fillers plus a clip-on missing fifth thruster that combined into a blaster with the thruster as the gunbarrel.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

So, I've disappeared down the rabbit bum hole of upgrade purgatory. Tfsafari just came through on TR Galvatron filler parts that includes a better way of bringing his cannon closer to his arm rather than being perched like a techno parrot all uncomfortable looking. Kudos on the slot and nub system they've plumped for.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Watch for waspies

No luck on mine...

8. ziltama

News Credits:
    Got some stuff in the mail earlier and now have a chance to post about them.

Tim Heada Galvatron Rifle Blaster

I did NOT get the full Galvatron kit. Just the rifle. Also came with the shoulder pin covers too, which I guess is a bonus (didn't use them yet). Therefore, I did not test the other stuff, like axes.

I still have not gotten another Tim Heada set as good as the transformable Null Rays, but this one was almost there. I think due to the (almost excessive) use of matte black paint, the rifle looked buttery smooth. Unlike some other recent non-null ray kits, they actually sanded off almost all of the support nubs. Still found 2 but were inconspicuous and didn't see them at first. All the ports and pegs work.

The main problem is paint scuffing. The matte paint they used will scuff like crazy. The pictures below show the rifle after fixing the various paint scuffs. Various corners were already scuffed in the package. Using the pegs and ports also caused scuffing. If it wasn't for the paint scuffing issues, I would be very happy with this.

This picture is after fixing the paint scuffs. There is a way to "fix" this more permanently but is not what most people would want to do (if curious, ask and I posted about it earlier in my bloated mod thread). I didn't remember to take pics before fixing the scuffs.
    gv1.jpg

The main feature is that both the Revenge ship blasters are able to plug into the rifle creating a super blaster. The fit is great. I did modify the blaster by removing a side peg that I wasn't going to use.
    gv2.jpg

The only other negative is that the rifle design doesn't take into account the tab on the forearm, so it doesn't plug in entirely flush into the hand.

Overall: Recommended with reservations about paint scuffing. Again, did not purchase the full kit. Just the rifle and I guess the pin hole covers just came with it.

Go Better Core Soundwave Kit

Would not have bought the Tim Heada kit if I knew this one was coming out earlier. Overall, this is a better kit than the Tim Heada set. However, also like the Tim Heada set, it doesn't color match the swirly gray plastic all that well either.

The kit comes with new transformable feet that removes the "cat ears" from alt mode. Also comes with forearm covers and a backpack cover. Only the backpack cover is partsforming (and odd that I received 2 back pack pieces).

Did have some minor QC issues. As the ball joints are also painted over, that paint will scuff off in the joint. Had to remove feet and clear out the paint flakes from the joint. One of the feet in the rear wasn't smoothed or sanded down like the other foot. I think I have a paint match, so I could sand it down smooth later, but annoying they forgot the back of one of the feet.

The blue backpack cover matches well. The other grays, not as good. However, the camera makes it look like a closer match than what it is in person.

The arm covers and new feet are seen in this view. Again, camera makes it look closer than what it is.
    sw1.jpg

The main benefit is alt mode. No more Neko Player mode. The Go Better feet create sharp corners. The Tim Heada feet did rounded corners in comparison. Here, the backpack filler and new feet are shown.
    sw2.jpg

Overall: Recommended with reservations about color matching and the overall price to figure ratio (very high). If the cat ears in alt mode really annoy you, then yes, get this kit. Better than the Tim Heada kit.

Go Better Warpath Kit

This is so much better than the Shockwave Lab gap fillers. The SL fillers are awful and went into the trash, however, liked the SL weapons a lot. No partsforming here, although removing the large tank tread fillers will make transformation easier. Aside from filling gaps, they also remove the need for the partsforming shield and improve the profile of the alt mode.

The color matching is good compared to the painted red on the figure but a little darker than the bare red plastic. The kit has bicep fillers, transformable forearm fillers (flips down when converting to alt mode), thigh fillers, and transformable feet / tank tread fillers.

Bot mode looks pretty good with the new fillers. There is some limitation to ankle tilt with the new gap fillers. If you need further tilt, then swing the lower bar of the gap filler out of the foot (not shown).
    wp2.jpg

The Shockwave Lab weapons look great when used with the Go Better fillers. I have seen some auctions on eBay separating the terrible Shockwave Lab gap fillers from their great weapons set.
    wp3.jpg

Transforming to alt mode with the new gap fillers in place was tricky. There is a way to transform without resorting to partsforming. See 微博视频 for transformation video. When done, the shield is no longer required. Now the middle of the tank is flush with the front. The forearm gap fillers flip down for transformation and the bars overlying the ankles become the new front of the tank.
    wp1.jpg

I did have one issue were one of the feet fillers didn't want to stay in. Used strategically placed hobby masking tape to keep it tightly in place.

Overall: Highly recommended for Warpath despite the price to figure ratio. Much better than the awful Shockwave Lab gap fillers. Compliments the SL weapons well.

• Like Like x 10
  9. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was baffling how they used translucent plastic for fillers on Warpath (and core Starscream). I'm buying fillers to fill gaps, not to see through translucent plastic which gives me the impression that a gap is there.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Fangry getting some much needed love, this is by 115utopia

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  11. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oooohhh, gun and removeable/posable wings!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    I just ordered Kingdom Rodimus so I'm really looking forward every Rodimus upgrade I can get, particularly one that includes a Roller like the one that Fansproject Protector had.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    Where from? I'm still waiting for Pulse to send me the one I preordered minutes after they started taking them.

I'll tell you what... I had used Amazon for the last couple of waves, but when all my friends that used Pulse got their figures first I decided to go with Pulse on the current wave, and that's coming back to bite me in the ass as they seemed determined to fill their orders last this time. I've already canceled a few preorders after finding the figures elsewhere.

14. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Peru actually from the Phantom stores. It should be here tomorrow.

15. ziltama

News Credits:
    Saw this kit earlier but forgot to post about it. Dunno who makes it. Yet another Tracks kit.
    Upgrade Kit Recorder Weapon Arm Leg Filling Parts For Kingdom Tracks transformer | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

If I didn't have major issues from multiple 115 kits, I would be interested in at least the weapon. Anything with handles were oversized and not remotely close to fitting. Last tried the Twin Twist blasters.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    Enjoy, amigo. Even if Phantom shipped to the US I don't think it'd help me much. Their site's still saying September, so I'm thinking it's like Entertainment Earth that got a batch and sold it all.

17. Robots78

Robots78 Robotanist

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 5
  18. wheeljackfan16

wheeljackfan16 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Amazon just shipped my Rodimus today. I had heard that they were shipping the Ark as well, but I only ordered that on Pulse.

19. wheeljackfan16

wheeljackfan16 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh boy, Tracks just keeps on giving, doesn't he? I just modeled a bar to hopefully do the same thing, I'm testing it now. I figure if it works I'll throw it up on the site for a dollar or less, and the files for free.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

In the old days, we'd have entire upgrade kits that'd replace Tracks' legs and translucent plastic shell. It'd cost twice or thrice as much as the figure, but it'd actually make it a quality figure.

Makes me miss Beelzeboss' stuff.

• Like Like x 2