General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Is there a kit that includes the front teeth for Kingdom Dinobot?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    There are multiple. I use the kit from JRC, and I believe Nonnefs also has teeth

• Like Like x 1
  3. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Not Grimlock. I'm referring to Maximal Dinobot.

4. wheeljackfan16

wheeljackfan16 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think he meant Kingdom Dinobot, not the Dinobot Grimlock. I hate names sometimes in this franchise. The fact that I can say "Cyberverse Bumblebee" and it could mean a legion figure from either Dark of The Moon or Prime, or a figure from the Cyberverse Series, or even any character in the "Bumblebee Adventures" line always amazes me just how Hasbro doesn't think it could get confusing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Why has there not been a dino-tooth replacement set for Dinobot yet? It seems like it'd be pretty simple to make, though I imagine it would have to be glued in. For that matter, why has there not been a set with a bandolier, his guns, and a proper silver sword yet?

6. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

Dinobot Grimlock is Studio Series 86. I did say Kingdom Dinobot.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Recently got some kits in the mail.

Tim Heada Core Soundwave feet. I ordered these before Go Better announced theirs, otherwise I would not have ordered the TH ones. As expected from the pics, the feet base are in nylon while the forefeet are in his regular 3d printed plastic. The nylon looks quite rough and not good in person. The black nylon pegs on other kits looked ok but the bright finish really brings out the poor looking grainy quality of printed nylon. ET01 also does nylon printed parts but theirs is much smoother. The forefeet are meh. Had issues with some TH kits having the support nubs not sanded off or removed properly. Here, they are only seen on the bottom and what looks like a small chunk taken out.

What really bugs me most about this is that I got 2 left feet. The auction pictures showed mirrored feet instead. I assume that's probably an error on TH's part. Going to e-mail seller.

Got 2 left feet, literally. Yeah, the grainy texture of the nylon looks really bad when it's not in black. The feet had trouble staying in at first but after doing a couple rotations, they now stay in.
    csw1.jpg csw4.jpg

Bot mode:
    csw3.jpg

Alt mode: At least this mode looks a lot better without the cat ears.
    csw2.jpg

Overall: For the price, I would avoid these. If able to get on sale and below $10, then maybe. Regardless, you would get better bang for the buck from the more expensive Go Better kit (can't believe I'm saying that about GB's pricing).

Also got in the clear Grimlock chest window and neck pieces. Although I already made my own custom pieces, I was thinking about some other custom projects.

I can tell these are made from silicone molds and are 1:1 KOs, including the screw posts. The chest window annoyingly had a large extra tab on one end. This is from cutting out a small area from the silicone mold to allow air to escape. They forgot to remove it. I carefully removed it and shaved the area down flat with the back of my hobby razor. If I wanted to, I could then go over this area with clear acrylic paint to get a smooth, clear finish. There was also various smudges on it and bits of plastic debris. When cleaned off, the piece overall looks pretty good. It's not as crystal clear as my custom window, but I probably use materials that are 10x more expensive.

Used the stock screws to secure in place. No fitting issues after removing the air vent tab (which may just be on my piece). Also shown: ZX forearm covers and ET01's retrofitting of the Model MP LED head via custom neck panel (much better nylon print quality).
    grimclear1.jpg

As for the clear neck pieces, I do see use for these especially if someone wants to custom paint the interior neck piece to gold and do a very light spray of smoke on the outside to simulate the G1 and MP figures. However, the posts were so warped, couldn't even use them. Their clear yellow neck pieces had no such warping issues, though. Oh well, going to e-mail seller about this too. On the neck pieces, they did remember to cut off the air vent tabs but did so rather poorly leaving an uneven and marred surface finish.

Edit:
    Unclebilly's listings now confirm that BDT made those new IDW Kingdom Cyclonus, Kingdom Scorponok, SS86 Jazz, Kingdom Ultra Magnus, Kingdom Beast Megatron, and SS86 Grimlock sets.

Search results for: 'bdt'

I have not personally tried a BDT set yet, although others have mentioned good things despite some of the newer listings looking admittedly rough. Unclebilly hasn't listed all the new ones yet.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  8. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Any companies put out articulated hands for Kingdom Galvatron yet?

I'm not an articulated hand guy per say, but I really would like the option to not have the double clinched fist all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

I don't really see that happening, articulated hands aren't something you see too often these days.

A lot of people are just buying up KFC Masterpiece Sideswipe or Shockwave replacement hands and using those since the mushroom pegs are of comparable size to Kingdom Galvatron's. I don't know if they can still fold away for transformation though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Yeah I was looking closely at it, I think a single pin through the knuckle (just so it can open) would still allow room for it to fold away.

I think.

But yeah, fully articulated isn't happening.

11. ICEPnguin

ICEPnguin Constructicon

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    MS-P01 kit for Prime. Like the small touches.
    20210720_232636.jpg
    Didn't use new hands or jet pack or translucent parts or truck mode doors yet. Probably won't either.

• Like Like x 3
  12. wheeljackfan16

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I really wish they would make a version for the metallic Prime, that's the only reason I haven't bought that set yet.

13. ziltama

News Credits:
    Update to the clear window chest off eBay. In retrospect, it probably was a good thing they didn't remove the air vent resin tab on the chest window, as I did a proper removal. Where they removed them on the warped neck pieces look pretty bad with chips. I'm now wondering if it's a different group that's making the colorless clear pieces as opposed to the clear yellow ones. The clear yellow neck pieces were good.

Anyhow, as I already made my own colorless clear window, son actually prefers the smoke window but more like the MP style, which is lighter. Did 3 light coats of Tamiya smoke spray paint but only on the front window surface. I wanted to do the same for the colorless clear neck pieces but they're too warped to be usable.

After paint job. Again, shows the Model LED head and ZX forearm panels.
    grimchest1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  14. ziltama

News Credits:
    Sweetmall-1 put up the 1st Shockwave Lab SL-110 transport vehicle listing on eBay:
    Shockwave Lab SL-110 Transport Vehicle For Kingdom Titan-class Autobot ark | eBay

I'm assuming the other sellers will be following suit shortly. @Black Convoy

I originally thought this was going to be an add-on to some existing vehicle, but it's the whole thing. Acts as a stand for the Ark in alt mode. Supports A.I.R. Lock connectors too.
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

We're passing on it because we don't plan to get the Ark.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    It's cute! :) 

In that industrial yellow and black colour scheme it reminds me a lot of the Mule quad-bike seen in Firefly.

20210723_035351.jpg

If I decide to get one I might name it Mach Kick, in honour of Serenity's original Mule.

~L~

• Like Like x 2
  16. wheeljackfan16

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Slag/Slug's sword has begun production!
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping to have a batch ready for either this weekend, or early next week. This sword is a bit bigger than the sword I made for Grimlock. Also coming when the sword releases are some port shifters, hubcaps for Hoist and Trailbreaker, and a Matrix holder for Siege Ultra Magnus. Pictures will go up when everything's ready. Finally, some updates on the trailer kit for Nemesis Prime so far:

I rounded out the front of the trailer to closer match the G2 trailer, everything is still a hastily printed prototype, so layer lines are a bit rougher than they will be in the final product.
    [​IMG]

Here is the new spot for the repair drone:
    [​IMG]

On to roller now, one of the biggest changes is I switched from pegged wheels to screw on wheels, because if it's called roller, I want it to roll as effortlessly as possible (I was seriously considering bearings for the wheels, but it added too much cost). Things have changed since these pictures were taken, the cannons now mount on the sides so they can point forward, and the back raised section has been flattened back out. Roller is going to be a stand-alone kit, and might actually end up releasing before the trailer kit.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, one more thing. I recently got Larkin's Lair's G2 Megatron kit, and while I was happy with it, the soft ratchet for raising and lowering the cannon didn't work the greatest on mine, so I designed a better, more reinforced ratcheting tab, then I started looking at the rest of the cannon, one thing led to another, and it looks like I'm making my own full-on cannon now. I'm making mine fire missiles like the original, and I'll hopefully get to add storage for extra missiles in the back of the cannon. I actually almost have the firing mechanism working within the rough shape of the cannon I have so far, I just need to fine tune the latch a little more so it doesn't have to be manually set. No estimates so far, I basically just started work on it a few days ago, but stopped when Slag/Slug came in the mail yesterday. Maybe August? No clue just yet.

• Like Like x 11
  17. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Ok that roller is really cool! Would look good with some Diaclone reboot figures too! Also really interested in what you have going for G2 Megatron. The shoulder adapter is nice which I have one of yours, but he needs more. At least a way to get rid of that silly sword/shield section.

18. coybrafett

coybrafett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Slag sword looks good. Any plans for feet fillers for both mode.

19. SomethingJ

SomethingJ Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I'm loving a lot of this

• Like Like x 1
  20. wheeljackfan16

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I am planning on feet fillers for the robot mode feet at least, and if I do anything for the rear dino legs, it's probably just going to be the bottom of the feet, just because I don't really know what I can do for fillers on the legs themselves without ruining the transformation.